Pre Trip Check List

alan0043

My post came off wrong maybe. I was trying to lighten up. Probly my Alberta dialect. :)

RVs are less dependable in my experience compared to commercial equipment. I've always done pre trip, during trip, post trip, sewer hose compartment and oh you left it parked inspections. Wouldn't be safe on the road otherwise. :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My post came off wrong maybe. I was trying to lighten up. Probly my Alberta dialect. :)

RVs are less dependable in my experience compared to commercial equipment. I've always done pre trip, during trip, post trip, sewer hose compartment and oh you left it parked inspections. Wouldn't be safe on the road otherwise. :)

You forgot one. You forgot the "oh poo, I left the TV antenna up" one.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1) It's personal, but I don't care for someone who sits at a desk handing down regulations about which they know little. (Gov't regs)

2) In the US, we're fortunate that we don't have a lot of #1, yet.

3) It just makes sense to check your vehicle, whether it's an HDT or a moped, pretty often. Every trip? Likely no, but occasionally.

4) Get to know your vehicle. Don't just jump in the pilot's seat, crank up some tunes and ride. Turn off the radio, close the windows, and listen, even feel what your ride is telling you. You'll be amazed at how much you can tell about a vehicle through the driver interfaces, like steering wheel, seat, and even through your feet on the floor. Get used to the vibes and you'll find problems while they're still small. All the pre-trips in the world don't mean squat if you aren't paying attention when something goes bad.

You can have my soapbox.........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1) It's personal, but I don't care for someone who sits at a desk handing down regulations about which they know little. (Gov't regs)

2) In the US, we're fortunate that we don't have a lot of #1, yet.

3) It just makes sense to check your vehicle, whether it's an HDT or a moped, pretty often. Every trip? Likely no, but occasionally.

4) Get to know your vehicle. Don't just jump in the pilot's seat, crank up some tunes and ride. Turn off the radio, close the windows, and listen, even feel what your ride is telling you. You'll be amazed at how much you can tell about a vehicle through the driver interfaces, like steering wheel, seat, and even through your feet on the floor. Get used to the vibes and you'll find problems while they're still small. All the pre-trips in the world don't mean squat if you aren't paying attention when something goes bad.

You can have my soapbox.........

Very well said :)

The original poster stated he was a rookie and was looking for help on how to do a pretrip.

Let's please help him with that.

Someone else made the comment that I most likely pretrip my work truck differently from my RV truck. And you are correct they are both handled differently but daily.

I just participated in a truck driver rodeo for our company two weeks ago and a pretrip inspection was part of the rodeo. We are given five minutes which isn't much time to find 5 problems with the truck and bonus points for any extras that we may have found.

I got lucky and identified six problems and loged them in less than five minutes.

As far as a pretrip they are very important. But one thing I have not seen someone mention is a post trip which I think is far more important.

At that time your fluids are hot leaks are easier to find along with unusual noises.

I would rather find a problem on a post trip or in the case of an RV a few days ahead of leaving for a trip or as soon as I arrive at a campground rather waiting till minutes before we're ready to vacate the camp

Just before the start of desert season which is my camping season. I have a mobile fleet mechanic I do work for go through my entire truck and do a complete BIT inspection and service. His price $350 including all fluids. (that's the everyday price no discount ) don't want to get my hands dirty for that price. And I strongly believe an extra set of eyes looking at things may find problems that I have not seen.

The RV peterbilt only drives about 2500 miles a year. So a light duty pretrip is all I feel is needed since I do a heavy duty post trip every time I return.

For a rookie I think this is a real good way to go and you can have a mobile mechanic walk-through with you what he's looking at and why.

Another suggestion here guys is we have a at least one commercial inspector involved in this post. What are you finding wrong with trucks these days?

I asked that question every time I'm in inspected at the scales which is every three months.

We talked about pre-trips on trucks here's my list for trailers.

1)Start at the front driver corner check that your hitch is completely latched and locked.

2) verify electric cord and breakaway cable are securely hooked up its not tangled in any obstructions.

3) you can't really check the frame for cracks but I look at the rubber corner edging if it is pulled out from the molding where your fifth wheel transitions down the front of your coach then I know I have a lot of frame flex.

4) check landing gear is retracted along with any stabilizers

5) very important check Leef spring and hangers for any type of damage check tires for inflation and any type of bubbles or cracks make sure you look on the inside of the tires

6) verify all out side compartments are closed latched and ideally locked. Are your sewer caps in place and sewer hose water hose electrical line stowed away properly.

7) are your awnings stowed away properly and locked?

8) check and verify all lights are working correctly

9) make sure all antennas satellite dishes and roof vents are closed and secure

now move to the inside of your coach.

10) make sure you're the last one to exit the coach so you know everything is how it's supposed to be. I can't emphasize number 10 enough especially if you have kids or grandkids traveling with you.

11) verify all cabinets and refrigerator doors are secured. Some of us run our refrigerators on propane while traveling make sure it did switch over and there's no air in the lines it's working properly.

12) mine is a toy hauler I make sure my bronco is tied down securely and nothing is on top of any cabinets they could fall off on top of it.

13) make sure all windows are closed and latched having one wiggle open on a rainy day of travel really sucks

14) make sure all doors are latched open or closed as in bathroom door shower door bedroom door.

15) my wife has a bad habit of leaving things on the kitchen counter make sure it's clear.

16) make sure your hot water heater and water pump have been turned off.

17) before pulling out of your camp spot do one more walk around and remember to look up down and all around for any obstructions.

Bronco,

This info is going to be helpful. When the kids were growing up we would go on vacation. I would always get the van ready for vacation. I would try to go from top to bottom looking for something wrong. Open the hood and go thru the engine also with an oil change. Make sure all fluids were topped off. Also looking for problems under the hood. Not knowing that I was doing a pre-trip inspection. During the trip I would look over the van when I was getting gas. Also not knowing I was doing a in trip inspection. After the trip I would also look over the van looking for problems. Not knowing that I was doing post inspection. The reason I was doing these inspections is because I didn't want any problems for vacation. I still do it today with out the kids being with me. The kids now have their own kids. I know that the truck and trailer can have more problems. That is the reason I wanted a check list so I know what could cause a problem. The safer I am going down the road will make me feel better about the trip. I have never had air brakes before. I understand that there is a pre-trip inspection on brakes. But I do not know what that is. Info about air brakes would be a big help.

I want to say "Thank You" to everybody for their help with the info. Please let more info keep coming. I know that I am not the only person that this information could help.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Folks......maybe a related subject.........maybe a show of hands........how many HDT owners perform (or have a mechanic) task a yearly or periodic in-depth-inspections??

In aviation most aircraft are required by law to be inspected by a licensed aircraft mechanic at defined times......also by law certain items may need to be replaced or reworked by a "Airworthiness Directive (AD)" these items can be simple or can be so intense that the aircraft might be best scraped..........in the truck /auto world we may have a factory recall but in aviation ignoring a AD is-a-HUGE-no-no....

Now with all of those inspections and AD's and "Big-Bro" ready to slap the birdman for skirting the regs you might imagine that aircraft are near-perfect.........not really......and the mechanics are not perfect......and the inspectors are not perfect.......and the "pilot" really-not-close-to-perfect (otherwise the pilot would have a real job).

My point here is that you would likely be amazed how many "chilling finds" are discovered during formal-in-depth aircraft inspections and we might find a few on our RV's if we were to do limited tear-down-inspections on a periodic basis.......

Don't get me wrong aircraft and HDT's are not the same beasts but perhaps regular in-depth-inspections have some use.........

Inspections do NOT pave the way to a trouble-free-trip.......( I have nursed my share of death-trap-fresh-inspected-aircraft back to earth in one piece)........but......inspections are about our best "insurance".......

One last gripe.........feel-good-inspections are often worse than no inspection at all.......some State-mandated inspections are more about collecting $$$$$ than any real inspections........

Pre-trip inspections are funny animals........one day I landed at a S. Cal airport and taxied to transit parking an noticed a birdman peeking in every nook-cranny of a Single-engine Cessna 185.......as I walked by the guy I commented that that was a intense preflight he was doing and he smiled and said....."ya I have to ferry this 185 to Hawaii and it's only 2,400 miles of open water and I just hate having to swim part way with the Sharks........."

Drive on.........(Don't swim with the Sharks.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On the commercial side inspections already done.

Scale houses will pull you in every three months for a thorough vehicle inspection. stickers placed on the windshield so they can keep track of who is do when as you roll through the scales.

They also have Mobil inspectors like Big5R cruzing around randomly stopping trucks.

On top of that You're also required to have a biannual terminal inspection where they check all service records driver logbooks thoroughly and any related paperwork.

On the RV side I got to say I'm with everyone else here they need to just leave us alone and we all need to be completely responsible for maintaining our trucks.

Pay for one tow truck one time and you'll never want to pay for another one again.

On the yearly in-depth inspection issue......

I have my truck to my trusted independent mechanic every year for an in-depth. Plus an oil change and lube (if I am not running synthetic). At the same time I make a decision about any preemptive maintenance required....an example: turbo boost sensor replacement. The sensor may still be working but with 700K miles on it, it may be worth replacing preemptively. Same applies to air governor. That is the FIRST thing I would replace on any truck new to me.

I also pull my own oil samples and send them in every 6 months. My mechanic also pulls a separate sample once a year. It is part of what he does to evaluate a truck. Samples are cheap. Engines are not. Especially VOLVO engines.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Guest THE TRAILERKING
......I have never had air brakes before. I understand that there is a pre-trip inspection on brakes. But I do not know what that is. Info about air brakes would be a big help.

Al

Al do yourself a favor and find yourself a training course. If for what ever reason your part of the country doesn't "require" you to have any special licensing.......Do your due diligence and seek a training course and take it. Not only will you feel more confident and be safe at what you're doing but if for what ever reason you get hauled into court for something, you will have proof to back-up that you have sufficient knowledge of what you're doing.

Al, as Jim had already posted this link for an excellent inspection, please don't just save it to your favorites, but watch all the way to the end. He will teach you what you are looking for when it comes to Air Brakes. I can't think of anything better than this to help everyone learn what we are dealing with, and how to check it out.

Please look at it again (all the way to the end) and let us know what you think you are missing.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Al, it really isn't bad advice even if it does come across as "Listen to MY advice. It's way better than listening to those heathens who say things other than what I say." :D Although you will probably be hard pressed to find a decent course. There are RV driving courses, that won't know squat about HDT's and then there are CDL classes which will cost you more than you need to spend because they want to teach you regs that will not apply. If you decide to go this route, check the local community colleges that teach CDL driving school and see if you can pay an instructor on the side to teach you one on one on his own time. He will have the ability to teach you what you need to know without all the fluff that you don't want or need. If you can find one that is willing, that is.

2014 smart Fortwo

Al,

Here is cost for CDL driving school in my area. I called them about an abbreviated course specific to my needs or private instruction after the same suggestion from Phil. They were not interested in either. The decision whether to spend $4500 and whether one would be a much safer driver after spending that amount is an individual decision and I will not comment on that.

http://www.tennesseetruckdrivingschool.com/ttds/ttds.asp?ID=19

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Muskoka Truck Training did an abbreviated course for me as a refresher a few years ago. About half the usual wheel time, and we cut out some of the commercial-specific regulation.

I think it cost about $2500 instead of the usual $5K-ish.

Money well spent even if you only look at it for passing the test. I think that amount of seat time with an experienced professional instructor was also very useful as I was really rusty. I could not have passed the pre-trip section of the CDL without it, its about 135 items in Ontario for an AZ and they allow over an hour just for that section of the test. We spent a lot of time, day after day, just developing the rhythm of a legally adequate pre-trip.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Muskoka Truck Training did an abbreviated course for me as a refresher a few years ago. About half the usual wheel time, and we cut out some of the commercial-specific regulation.

I think it cost about $2500 instead of the usual $5K-ish.

Money well spent even if you only look at it for passing the test. I think that amount of seat time with an experienced professional instructor was also very useful as I was really rusty. I could not have passed the pre-trip section of the CDL without it, its about 135 items in Ontario for an AZ and they allow over an hour just for that section of the test. We spent a lot of time, day after day, just developing the rhythm of a legally adequate pre-trip.

Geo

Yes Desolation Roe, that's what I did way back. I went with 18-Wheels Training Services right here in Regina. It cost me $2,000.00 for four days of going over the pre-trip and driving 4-5 hours each day. On the fifth day the driver examiner came right to their shop to do the driving exams. Got to do the test with the same truck and trailer you did your practicing with. Basically a quick refresher and use their truck for the test. I already had my air endorsement for years on my class 5 so I didn't have to retake the air test. I now have my 1A.................

Money well spent.

The decision whether to spend $4500 and whether one would be a much safer driver after spending that amount is an individual decision and I will not comment on that.

http://www.tennesseetruckdrivingschool.com/ttds/ttds.asp?ID=19

Well, I'll comment..... :)

Yes, you would likely learn something and be a safer driver. In fact, I can almost guarantee it.

But the real question is it worth the cost. Not in my opinion. You can pretty much learn all the stuff they will teach you watching YouTube videos and reading some CDL guides. But you have to WANT to do it to get it done. It takes some effort. But knowing how your truck operates and what to watch out for....and changing what may be very bad automotive driving habits, can easily be accomplished on your own.

If you are worried about liability and litigation then I cannot help you. Well...maybe I can. Subscribe to one of those insurance plans that keep an attorney available for your use. That way you don't have to pay an excessive amount if you end up in court. Liability IS something to consider, but only in the context of your total driving experience. ....not specific to the HDT. I ALWAYS run with a dash camera these days, no matter what I'm driving. Too many people looking for a free ride, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

RE checking tires with a bat or hammer or stick. Have you ever asked a buddy to lower the pressure on one tire to below the minimum needed to carry the measured load on your tires without letting you know which one and how low it/ they were. Then see if you can properly identify which tire is low.

If you can't do that with 100%b accuracy then you should not act surprised if/when you have a tire failure.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

RE checking tires with a bat or hammer or stick. Have you ever asked a buddy to lower the pressure on one tire to below the minimum needed to carry the measured load on your tires without letting you know which one and how low it/ they were. Then see if you can properly identify which tire is low.

If you can't do that with 100%b accuracy then you should not act surprised if/when you have a tire failure.

That is why most of us here use some sort of TPMS...but if you thump enough tires, it isn't that hard to detect a low tire. I use an unbreakable clipboard to thump tires and I rarely miss an under inflated tire. Of course, I am only concerned with tires that have less than 50% of their max pressure and I thump 100+ tires a day.

2014 smart Fortwo

My new work truck has a TPMS and are trailers have a self inflation system.

But I still do a visual on all tires and thump them with an aluminum peterbilt bat. IMO i'm pretty darn good at telling the difference in tire pressure from one Tire to another just by the sound and the feel from the bat.

My new work truck has a TPMS and are trailers have a self inflation system.

But I still do a visual on all tires and thump them with an aluminum peterbilt bat. IMO i'm pretty darn good at telling the difference in tire pressure from one Tire to another just by the sound and the feel from the bat.

Yeah, I check tires that way too. Daily check is by thump, and occasional checks are w/ digital gauge. On my ag tires I can tell a 2 psi difference. Of course, we're talking 6-8 psi. inflation.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

That is why most of us here use some sort of TPMS...but if you thump enough tires, it isn't that hard to detect a low tire. I use an unbreakable clipboard to thump tires and I rarely miss an under inflated tire. Of course, I am only concerned with tires that have less than 50% of their max pressure and I thump 100+ tires a day.

Unless you are running at 100% more pressure than needed to support the actual load you are admitting to running tires under-inflated. Your choice but i trust you will never complain about a tire failure.

Also have to wonder how people "thump" tires as they run down the road, you knkow the 98% of the time when you get a puncture, cut or the valve works loose and develops a leak. Just never heard of a tire getting punctures while parked or a valve failing when not moving.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Archived