Pre Trip Check List

alan0043

From the past few comments that a round table discussion could become interesting with all the people from this thread. My intent for this thread was to find some pre-trip info and not put members at each others throats. I do not have a pre-trip check list myself. I need to have something. I have never owned a vehicle with air brakes. This is the reason for the questions on the check list.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate your starting this discussion, Al. I have not been using any formal pre-trip inspection list on the little bit of traveling we have done so far, but I now realize that I should have. Before our next trip, which is to the rally, I will use a list and do a much more full inspection than I have been doing. I will take notes as I go along so I can customize the list for my truck. When I do the next inspection, before I leave Hutch, I will think about what makes sense to be checking again so soon, and what doesn't, and start breaking it down into a few intervals as I described above. I see this as something that will evolve and improve over time. Certainly, my truck will be safer on the highway as a result.

I strongly feel my HDT by design is safer on the highway than many, and probably most, other RV's on the road. That was a prime reason that I bought an HDT. We should all be able to agree that checking the appropriate items on our vehicles regularly to ensure it is in proper safe mechanical condition is important. That said, I don't think I need to check off on a list, before I drive it each trip, that the tire tread depth is adequate on my new tires. My example above was to demonstrate the concept that I feel some items may need to be checked before each trip, and other items can be checked less frequently at other intervals. I may end up with a list I can do in 20 minutes before each trip. That inspection is more likely to happen every trip than a list that takes an hour. In the end, that may make for a safer vehicle.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Guest THE TRAILERKING

From the past few comments that a round table discussion could become interesting with all the people from this thread. My intent for this thread was to find some pre-trip info and not put members at each others throats. I do not have a pre-trip check list myself. I need to have something. I have never owned a vehicle with air brakes. This is the reason for the questions on the check list.

Al

Most important, and should always be done:

-Proper inflated tires

-All working lights

-Fluids all good, no leaks.

Follow advice from people like Roger Dickinson

.......and you won't go wrong.

It's that easy.

If you must run to Pizza Hut for the pizza.....Just make sure you're rig is warmed up and ready to roll. Then your pick-up will be piping hot and on time. You will not fear having "Cold and Curdled" food. Most of all bystanders won't have to fear as you're ripping down to the mall for your food.

Alan, are you going to the upcoming Rally?

Roger, I can not make it this year. God willing I am planning on the 2016 ECR. This is where I will bring the info that I find. Thank you for asking. I hope some day we can meet up.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I'd like to see something implemented before then. Otherwise it could like most government plans, die on the table.

Think about getting a rig, load it up with newbies and lurkers and run a route, explain what you do and why driving wise. Run it in advance with a car to scout it out.

Any of the pretrips is better than no pretrip. If all this saves a blowout due to a bulge missed in a steer, possibly saving a catastrophic event picked up on National tv, it would be worth it.

I'll go ahead on my own now and modify it as I see fit. Mine will be done in less than a week, certainly before I head off Vancouver Island end of next week.

You already have 4 or 5 sources.

I'm just not going to wait until April or later.

I will say that the National Rally at Hutchison is at the fairgrounds and would be ideal to have a "drivers course" like Roger desires. It would be in a closed environment where public safety should not be a huge issue. The East Coast Rally is a great place for discussions and ideas but the location and environment would not lend itself to a safe "drivers course".

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Think about getting a rig, load it up with newbies and lurkers and run a route, explain what you do and why driving wise.

That's exactly what they do up here if take a training course through a Truck Driver Training School. There is hours of classroom training. Then they'll usually have a student driver behind the wheel and one, maybe two sitting in the opening of the sleeper observing.

I will say that the National Rally at Hutchison is at the fairgrounds and would be ideal to have a "drivers course" like Roger desires. It would be in a closed environment where public safety should not be a huge issue. The East Coast Rally is a great place for discussions and ideas but the location and environment would not lend itself to a safe "drivers course".

So is that a hand up for you volunteering to do one? I'll get you the time if you need it.

I don't think anyone here - including Phil - disagrees on the need for a pretrip inspection. It is simply a good driving habit. Jim's "version" makes a lot of sense and is what many of us do already.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So is that a hand up for you volunteering to do one? I'll get you the time if you need it.

I don't think anyone here - including Phil - disagrees on the need for a pretrip inspection. It is simply a good driving habit. Jim's "version" makes a lot of sense and is what many of us do already.

Nope, my hand's are in my lap. Just saying if there is that much passion for a "drivers course" for newbies then the national has a better setup to accommodate that than the ECR. I also like Jim's suggestions and do intend it as a discussion at the ECR. I would tell you what I would volunteer to participate in would be a hands on maneuvering course using cones to share techniques on sharp turns, tricks for tight places, and backing techniques. I am not an expert but have seen some folks at the ECR that are and I would love to learn from them. Nothing more beautiful than seeing Dan (Lights) put a 38' trailer in a back-in while partially blocked by two pickups. All this on the first try.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Jack,

Are you asking Suite, me or TK?

I was asking Suite, but anyone that wants to put material together to share can step up.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I would love to come, but medical issues are knocking me out of the National Rally this year. Perhaps the next ECR?

My commercial school refresh might be recent enough to be some use?

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I'm waiting to hear back from Habitat, their project is behind. I'd budgeted the 700$ get off this rock so I'd be on the mainland anyway. Hopefully they can wait for me to return.

Here are my thoughts.

See if this is agreeable with a number of those showing up, it needs to be a decent # to offset fuel costs. New owners, future owners, wives and lurkers would be welcome.

I'd show up and do Pretrips using the Driving schools format I took . I know that one. This is not to say others are just as good but I know this one.

I'll walk thru systematically the whole truck starting with the passengers side duals going around counterclockwise . I'll do the same with the trailer bearing in mind it is an RV not a Commercial 53'er. There are parallels to be drawn.

After I've done it, it would be a hands on for those following me around, touching twisting etc and naming all that is being done. If you don't say it you tend to gloss over it. The first few times they will need help. No-one can remember everything the first few times.

I can do this once or twice a day if the interest is there.

Every other day I use my rig to go around a route on the road, not in the park. I have an idea of what to look for. This to show them the reasons for positioning on the road and into curves and how to conduct yourself in an intersection. We'll load up the cab with anyone interested so long as they can see and hear what is being done.

At the end of the day or?? we de brief and the next time we do it again with modifications.

Others are no doubt better at backing up than me so that can be left to them. My main concern as it is with quite a number here is to get people safe or safer on the road.

I will probably mess up once or twice, but making mistakes in a training scenario is a good thing. I was told years ago by an Air Force Major, " We don't care what you do right we just want to know what was done wrong so it can be corrected. When the pager goes of, you better show up with your game face ".

They can be corrected in the de brief.

Someone else can provide the Vodka Coolers, the Mango ones I think.

There are enough whiz bangs here on computers that all the lists with Al's help could be done in short order. They can be modified by the individual owners to fit their needs.

If I can come do I get penalized for late registration. How much??

Let me know

R

Roger,

I don't want to be rude and truly appreciate your enthusiasm and good intentions but best check with Steve and Gail Dixon who run the National Rally before such an undertaking. They have daily and evening activities already scheduled and don't know if your proposal is viable. Wouldn't want you spending the $$ for something that's not gonna happen.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

OK, enough is enough.

How many of use get in a car or a pick up truck drive to the store, work, or where ever and don't check anything!!

these people are in the same boat.

Now, when i drove my rig every day, did i do a complete check list..NO i did not

But I do know how to do a check on my truck, and I am intoon to my truck and trailer, and can tell when something is wrong!!

Everyone does it different, get use to it.

When I drove a big truck for a living, I did it different every day, but it got done.

Ask Broncohauler how he does his company truck and his rv truck and I hope he says the same but I know it's different every time.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Guest THE TRAILERKING

OK, enough is enough

How many of use you's get in a car or a pick up truck drive to the store, work, or where ever and don't check anything!!

Now, when i drove my rig every day, did i do a complete check list..NO i did not

Everyone does it different, get use to it.

Roger

That's not an "Apples to Apples" comparison.

There are a lot of cars and light trucks that should be pulled off the road too from lack of maintenance. They actually do get towed away when they get caught in a stop check.

Everyone does their own thing, different..................... That's why there are standards and everyone should get used to it.

Roger,

I don't want to be rude and truly appreciate your enthusiasm and good intentions but best check with Steve and Gail Dixon who run the National Rally before such an undertaking. They have daily and evening activities already scheduled and don't know if your proposal is viable. Wouldn't want you spending the $$ for something that's not gonna happen.

Not a problem, It was said with Jacks comment in mind about finding some space available.

Some other time.

That's not an "Apples to Apples" comparison. And neither is your comparison of an HDT RV to a commercial HDT. Same truck, totally different usage.

There are a lot of cars and light trucks that should be pulled off the road too from lack of maintenance. I agree completely They actually do get towed away when they get caught in a stop check. Not in this country they don't. This is not Canada. Maybe you should press for a "required" pretrip for Canadian cars because unless y'all have had a rash of HDT rv accidents that you are keeping secret I bet there are more deaths and injuries caused by 4 wheeler drivers and vehicles in a year than have been cause by all HDT RV's combined in the history of HDT rv's. I'd actually be interested to know of any documented HDT rv (not a racer trying to skirt the regs, but a real HDT rv) that caused a fatal accident due to faulty maintenance. Got any documentation to back up your prediction of doom? Tires flying off, brakes failing, anything? Anybody?

Everyone does their own thing, different..................... That's why there are standards and everyone should get used to it. But that is just it, there are NO STANDARDS for HDT RV's, and you need to get used to it. Again, this is not Canada.

The people on this forum are here because they want the safest vehicle to pull their heavy trailer, but there are no standards for RV's. Every state is different in the requirements to register and operate an HDT. People are here because they want to learn, but they do not need a "mandate" to tell them what they need to do with their truck. For the 3rd time, this is NOT Canada and there will never be a "standard" for HDT RV's unless it is done by the Feds and that will be to lump them all into the commercial regs, which no one (other than you and Roger apparently) want. I drive my truck at least once a month to keep the brakes from rusting and maybe to go add a hundred bucks worth of fuel or go to the grocery store. I am NOT going to do a complete pre trip inspection to go 15 miles, round trip. My brake lines have not chafed or dry rotted since the last inspection while my truck sat in the driveway. Nothing is leaking, that is obvious. The slack adjusters (you know the automatic ones which do not adjust automatically) have not gotten out of adjustment in 2 months worth of operation (30 or 40 miles) and the head lights haven't burned out while sitting parked either and again, I am going for fuel or groceries. I do neither at night. To claim that an HDT used in RV usage needs to be treated the same as one used commercially is silly. I do not change my fluids as often, because I do not see the mileage that a commercial rig sees. I do not need to check the tread depth on my tires. My tires do not "wear" out, they "age" out. Bubbles and wear patterns, yes. Tread depth no. It will be another 5 years, minimum, before I "wear" out a set of brakes. My windshield has the same crack in it that it had last month, and the month before and it is NOT a violation of any law in this country. My wipers are good and the washers have fluid but again, so what if they don't today? I am not hitting the road for a trip, I'm going for a leisurely drive to the fuel station. Trust me, it will not be raining because if it is, I'm not going that day. My HDT had 500,000 miles put on it in it's first 5 years of life. In the second 5 years it has had 30,000. Who knows what it will see in the next 5 years, but it will never see anything close to the amount of usage as a commercial vehicle.

This topic has more than run it's course for me. I do not believe that you will convince anyone here, no matter how interested in learning they are, that there is a need for a "required" pre trip for their RV. Should they inspect their RV? Well certainly but do they need someone "requiring" them to do it? Hell No.

The fact that there is a difference (whether you see it or not) between rv's and commercial HDT's is also the reason that HDT rv's are not required log books (no hours of service requirements), most are not required to have commercial licenses or medical cards either. Is that to say that training isn't a good thing? No, it isn't but just like a pre trip, log book, and cdl, it doesn't need to be mandated either.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The people on this forum are here because they want the safest vehicle to pull their heavy trailer, but there are no standards for RV's. Every state is different in the requirements to register and operate an HDT. People are here because they want to learn, but they do not need a "mandate" to tell them what they need to do with their truck. For the 3rd time, this is NOT Canada and there will never be a "standard" for HDT RV's unless it is done by the Feds and that will be to lump them all into the commercial regs, which no one (other than you and Roger apparently) want. I drive my truck at least once a month to keep the brakes from rusting and maybe to go add a hundred bucks worth of fuel or go to the grocery store. I am NOT going to do a complete pre trip inspection to go 15 miles, round trip. My brake lines have not chafed or dry rotted since the last inspection while my truck sat in the driveway. Nothing is leaking, that is obvious. The slack adjusters (you know the automatic ones which do not adjust automatically) have not gotten out of adjustment in 2 months worth of operation (30 or 40 miles) and the head lights haven't burned out while sitting parked either and again, I am going for fuel or groceries. I do neither at night. To claim that an HDT used in RV usage needs to be treated the same as one used commercially is silly. I do not change my fluids as often, because I do not see the mileage that a commercial rig sees. I do not need to check the tread depth on my tires. My tires do not "wear" out, they "age" out. Bubbles and wear patterns, yes. Tread depth no. It will be another 5 years, minimum, before I "wear" out a set of brakes. My windshield has the same crack in it that it had last month, and the month before and it is NOT a violation of any law in this country. My wipers are good and the washers have fluid but again, so what if they don't today? I am not hitting the road for a trip, I'm going for a leisurely drive to the fuel station. Trust me, it will not be raining because if it is, I'm not going that day. My HDT had 500,000 miles put on it in it's first 5 years of life. In the second 5 years it has had 30,000. Who knows what it will see in the next 5 years, but it will never see anything close to the amount of usage as a commercial vehicle.

This topic has more than run it's course for me. I do not believe that you will convince anyone here, no matter how interested in learning they are, that there is a need for a "required" pre trip for their RV. Should they inspect their RV? Well certainly but do they need someone "requiring" them to do it? Hell No.

The fact that there is a difference (whether you see it or not) between rv's and commercial HDT's is also the reason that HDT rv's are not required log books (no hours of service requirements), most are not required to have commercial licenses or medical cards either. Is that to say that training isn't a good thing? No, it isn't but just like a pre trip, log book, and cdl, it doesn't need to be mandated either.

X2 well stated.......

Drive on..........(be careful.......enjoy the ride.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Doing pre-trip and subsequent through the day walk around inspections when towing any trailer built with the robustness, attention to detail and engineering, and quality of RV's is only common sense, so you know what parts you need to order / fixing you need to do next, right?

It shouldn't need to be mandated, despite what the Canadians say... :o

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

There is no doubt a pretrip inspection of sorts is a good thing. Many people do it, but don't even call it that. The multistage pretrip described by Jim is an excellent basis to start with for this group of people. As I said, if someone puts the list together I'll make sure it is available at the Rally. And there is a roundtable on Friday where questions can be asked. Other than that, the seminar times are booked. I'll lead a happy hour discussion at my rig, or in the seminar room, on the pretrip if someone wants to put the info together. Not an actual inspection....but a discussion of the list.

www.jackdanmayer.com

The original poster stated he was a rookie and was looking for help on how to do a pretrip.
Let's please help him with that.

Someone else made the comment that I most likely pretrip my work truck differently from my RV truck. And you are correct they are both handled differently but daily.
I just participated in a truck driver rodeo for our company two weeks ago and a pretrip inspection was part of the rodeo. We are given five minutes which isn't much time to find 5 problems with the truck and bonus points for any extras that we may have found.
I got lucky and identified six problems and loged them in less than five minutes.

As far as a pretrip they are very important. But one thing I have not seen someone mention is a post trip which I think is far more important.
At that time your fluids are hot leaks are easier to find along with unusual noises.
I would rather find a problem on a post trip or in the case of an RV a few days ahead of leaving for a trip or as soon as I arrive at a campground rather waiting till minutes before we're ready to vacate the camp

Just before the start of desert season which is my camping season. I have a mobile fleet mechanic I do work for go through my entire truck and do a complete BIT inspection and service. His price $350 including all fluids. (that's the everyday price no discount ) don't want to get my hands dirty for that price. And I strongly believe an extra set of eyes looking at things may find problems that I have not seen.
The RV peterbilt only drives about 2500 miles a year. So a light duty pretrip is all I feel is needed since I do a heavy duty post trip every time I return.
For a rookie I think this is a real good way to go and you can have a mobile mechanic walk-through with you what he's looking at and why.

Another suggestion here guys is we have a at least one commercial inspector involved in this post. What are you finding wrong with trucks these days?
I asked that question every time I'm in inspected at the scales which is every three months.

We talked about pre-trips on trucks here's my list for trailers.

1)Start at the front driver corner check that your hitch is completely latched and locked.

2) verify electric cord and breakaway cable are securely hooked up its not tangled in any obstructions.

3) you can't really check the frame for cracks but I look at the rubber corner edging if it is pulled out from the molding where your fifth wheel transitions down the front of your coach then I know I have a lot of frame flex.

4) check landing gear is retracted along with any stabilizers

5) very important check Leef spring and hangers for any type of damage check tires for inflation and any type of bubbles or cracks make sure you look on the inside of the tires

6) verify all out side compartments are closed latched and ideally locked. Are your sewer caps in place and sewer hose water hose electrical line stowed away properly.

7) are your awnings stowed away properly and locked?

8) check and verify all lights are working correctly

9) make sure all antennas satellite dishes and roof vents are closed and secure

now move to the inside of your coach.

10) make sure you're the last one to exit the coach so you know everything is how it's supposed to be. I can't emphasize number 10 enough especially if you have kids or grandkids traveling with you.

11) verify all cabinets and refrigerator doors are secured. Some of us run our refrigerators on propane while traveling make sure it did switch over and there's no air in the lines it's working properly.

12) mine is a toy hauler I make sure my bronco is tied down securely and nothing is on top of any cabinets they could fall off on top of it.

13) make sure all windows are closed and latched having one wiggle open on a rainy day of travel really sucks

14) make sure all doors are latched open or closed as in bathroom door shower door bedroom door.

15) my wife has a bad habit of leaving things on the kitchen counter make sure it's clear.

16) make sure your hot water heater and water pump have been turned off.

17) before pulling out of your camp spot do one more walk around and remember to look up down and all around for any obstructions.

Bronco, it is interesting that you bring up a post trip. I never really categorized it that way but I do actually do something of one. Before I shut the truck down after unhooking and positioning it in its "rest spot" I always pop the hood and check the engine over, and look under the truck briefly. If I happen to hear any strange noises I get my sniffer out of the drivers compartment and further identify. Which is rare in the year I have had the sniffer. I never really thought of it as a "post trip"....but I guess it is. I don't have a list of things for that....just a look-see.

I also check the ground where I am for "stuff"...so I know later if my truck is "contributing".

www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack , A post trip to me is far more important than a pretrip and is part of having a CDL.

Your DVIR book most be filled out at the end of the day but is recommended at the start. And is marked out on my E- log.

If you preform a real good post trip at the time you arrive at a campground or a pretrip a couple days ahead of leaving on a trip it gives you that much more time to deal with whatever problems may have arisen.

As an example Say you run over a large bolt while pulling into the campground. Your tires still holding air and does not set off any alarms.

Would you rather know that bolt was there when you arrived at the campground and you have plenty of time to get it repaired? Or wait until say a Sunday afternoon when you must vacate the spot and now you're paying for after our specialty call?

Also when I leave the campground I'd rather be nice and clean holding my cup of coffee ready to go then climbing in the truck dirty and greasy from having done a pretrip.

For me at work it gives me the ability if I find something wrong to drop the truck off at the mechanic and hopefully have it back the same day to go back to work at night.

Now don't get me wrong I do a pretrip on both my work truck and my RV daily as my truck is warming up. But only to look for air leaks light issues and fluid leaks. I also always check the oil level not just see if it needs oil but in the case of my old 6.0 Ford power stroke. I had an injector go bad filling the crankcase full of diesel fuel to the point that it over pressurized the crank case and blew out the rear main seal.

I also am constantly checking tires on my truck and trailer. My RV has TST on the trailer only so I thump the truck tires with a bat and always do a visual on both every time we stop.

The company truck and trailer have a tire monitoring system on the tractor and a self inflation system on all trailers along with a warning light for low pressure trailer tires.

But I always do a visual and every stop and thump the tires at least a couple times throughout the night while working.

Another example we had a driver the other day park his truck to go on vacation for a week. He was in a hurry to start his vacation and did not bother to do a good post trip. Luckily I noticed he had a passenger side rear axle tire with a very bad gash in the side wall from road debris.

I was able to take a picture of the tire send it to a supervisor for them to repair the day the driver was coming back.

Driver called me and was very grateful I had found it and saved him from a couple hours of downtime.

Archived