Texting and driving

Nolan

http://www.livetrucking.com/state-troopers-are-using-a-custom-peterbilt-big-rig-in-order-to-catch-distracted-drivers/

Friend of mine who is a driver sent me this. Thought was interesting. I would think a pickup truck would be cheaper to buy or use, unless the truck and trailer were seized from illegal use. See a lot of people texting when I'm being passed in the truck and I only put on around 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, most of it being on two-lane roads.

I wonder if they need a CDL since they are making money with it.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I wonder if they need a CDL since they are making money with it.

With government agencies, it falls under weight class, I have trained Officers to get Class A licenses for driving fuel support vehicles for an Air Support Unit. They took the CDL test, but are exempt from the medical requirement as long as they are driving government owned vehicles.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Driving to Ottumwa from Oskaloosa via Cedar and Kirkville I was following a pickup at the speed limit. Pretty soon the vehicle was going slower than the speed limit and as I passed I noticed the head of the driver tilted down reading something. Really wanted to use my horn to indicate my dislike, but then saw the face of a child in the passenger seat. What an excellent example this parent was setting for his child. Come on it cannot be that important or maybe you would have actually stopped in the middle of the road. More power to Tennessee.

Posted the above on Facebook with the link. My Iowa friends will know this is a two lane road with little in the way of shoulders and some steep ditches in places.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Love it!

Distracted drivers and my safety while on the road was one of the main reasons we got into an HDT. I'm so nervous these days on the 2 lane hwys....It will still be a bad day for us in a head on, but we probably will get to live to see another day....it's likely the other guy won't.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Kinda hard to get a pic without messing with a phone or camera unless a passenger does it.

More than kinda hard. Something I want to do but never will. May check my traffic cam to see how the latest passing episode looks. I know I will be able to see the license plate but not sure how the view of the driver looking down will play out. If the photo is good in the future all I would have to do is give the camera a tap and it would save the event until I delete it. Something to think about.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Mailbox wiped out twice. House address once. However the texting trees in front of my winter home has caught two texters.

Fortunately, both drivers, females were not seriously injured. Even at 25 mph both cars were totaled. Pulled the one driver out of the car (17) because gas was leaking out of the vehicle. After ascertaining that the young lady was all right, she calmed down, and called her parents.

Police and Father showed up at about same time. After Dad made sure daughter was ok he thanked me for helping his daughter.

However, he said i should cut down all the tree near the road because they CAUSE accidents, and wanted to prevent any more, i should do something.

I should do something? Ok, should I tell the police the first word your daughter said was, I should not have been texting!

BTY, Not one air bag deployed, an Police do not pick up all the pieces.Same tree hit twice in two years, does, not have long to go.

Trucken

Kinda hard to get a pic without messing with a phone or camera unless a passenger does it.

Agreed, I find it easier to catch them when I'm in the fast lane and they come up on my right. So my passenger would be the one to take the pics. Or as has been said the dash cam if the pics are clear enough.

I have religion about staying out of the left lane in BC unless I absolutely have to be there. The new law gets expensive fast. $167 and 3 points which I certainly don't need on my class 1 !! I do wish more jurisdictions were aggressive about getting the slow(er) folks out of the left lane, it cools down a lot of road rage...

http://drivesmartbc.ca/lanes/left-lane-blockers

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

In the course of a day, averaging 500 miles, 80k per year, the number of boneheads I can see from my taller than average perch is beyond astounding. The very basic phone held against ear is still being done alot. And now with tablets, texting is the least of the problem. They are usually easy to spot, driving maneuvers that simply don't make sense are a tip off.

I will be presenting an abbreviated introduction to The Smith System defensive driving course at the HDT rally in Hutchinson. Your best insurance against this ever increasing menace.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I was following a car on an Interstate that drifted off the right shoulder and bounced off a guide rail, then it went across both lanes to the left shoulder before settling down in the right lane and slowing down a little. I reluctantly passed the car and saw the teenage driver with her phone between her hands on her steering wheel thumb texting. I can only guess she was typing "omg i just hit guide rail while we were texting".

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived