Some days even my own people embarrass me

Big5er

It is days like today that make it hard to be a redneck.

I actually stopped this young lady and asked what the hell she was thinking. She looked at me like she didn't understand. I re-phrased my question, asking how wide this "thing" was and she looked at me as serious as could be and said "It's just within the law".

"uh, No." was my immediate thought.

2015-01-30_12-27-27_zpsgalqy47h.jpg

The thing that "looks" like a slide topper is made out of 2x4's and covered in shingles. The strap running up the slide out is there to keep the "topper" from flapping while they go down the road. Did I mention that their registration expired in 02/2004? THey didn't see any need to renew it cuz they's only moving to a new trailer park 9 MORE miles down the interstate, and then a bit down that road.

Damn, it's hard to be a redneck some days. This lovely lady informed me that if it was up to her, they'd revoke my membership in the redneck society.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

That is awesome. At first, looking at the photo, I was thinking they were pulled to the side of the road eating lunch, and didn't realize the slide was hanging over the edge of the roadway. The description is even better.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Shame on you Phil for upholding the law. You know that's gonna be unpopular.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

All I can say is.......WOW!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

That is awesome. At first, looking at the photo, I was thinking they were pulled to the side of the road eating lunch, and didn't realize the slide was hanging over the edge of the roadway. The description is even better.

maveric, that was AFTER I made them stop. :) They were driving down the service road, like it was just another day. They were a bit over 11 feet wide and couldn't understand why anyone would object to them towing the house to a new home. :wacko:

2014 smart Fortwo

Just for my curiosity, if their registration was up to date, could they have applied for a "wide load" permit and have been legal with a spotter and signage or does that only apply to commercial?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Big 5fer can back me up on this, but if the load can be reduced to legal limits, it does not qualify to be moved as an over dimensional load. I am not sure of the engineering changes made in this case, if they were permanent, and the slide couldn't go back in, it could be moved with an OD permit.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff is right. A divisible load or one that can be made legal must be. I was always under the impression that permits were limited to commercial vehicles in Texas but I know people that one large boats that have over width permits.

2014 smart Fortwo

Hey, I had to do that once! Bedroom slide would not retract so drove 25 miles to the dealer. Fortunately it only hangs out 16 inches and on the curb side. Two lane road most of the way and stayed in the right lane when it went to 4 lane. Could have waited for the dealer to make a house call but - well, I'd still be waiting!

Ended up having to fix it myself AFTER the dealer "fixed" it twice!

Yeah, I was looking for one of those LEOs but got "lucky". Even went by an open DOT scale and got no response.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Phil,

I am curious how the situation was resolved. Were they ticketed and then allowed to complete their drive to their destination? Did they have to modify the trailer and get the slide in first?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Jim, moved further to the right (into the abandoned driveway), ticketed and left there to "fix" their issues. Could they have just driven away after I did? Sure. Are they subject to another citation if they didn't fix it and get caught again? Yup.

Exactly how and what they did, I do not know. I don't have the time or the inclination to wait them out. I was working in that area and kept my eye out for them. That doesn't mean they didn't sneak passed me anyway or maybe the really did what they should have done to begin with?

2014 smart Fortwo

Per commercial enforcement anyone can purchase an oversize permit. He then told me I can't move until after 9 and he was going to go find a commercial truck to stop.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

So that think likely never was on the road since mid 2000's... wonder how good the brakes and tires are?

PS.. How many teeth did she have? Anymore then 3, she is a keeper on the redneck scale :D

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Per commercial enforcement anyone can purchase an oversize permit. He then told me I can't move until after 9 and he was going to go find a commercial truck to stop.

It just dawned on me...this has been discussed before. If you are not required to have motor carrier authority you have to purchase a $10,000 surety bond (In Texas...other states will vary).

2014 smart Fortwo

It sounds like you had an interesting day Phil. You need these kind of stops to break up your day. Wouldn't want you to get bored.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Stay off the main roads, stick on a slow moving equipment sign, and go real slow. Be real nice and offer candy. AKA hay wagon.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Archived