Building a 5th Wheel Air Ride Hitch

bmzero

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soda blast and clear coat only fer sure :)

I had hoped to keep it dry enough to keep the surface rust off of it, but the humidity in Alabama this Summer has made that impossible. Clear coat would have been an option before the surface rust, but it's probably too stained to pull it off now. I have a glass bead blaster here that might work. I'll probably try a few pieces and see how they turn out.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I also vote for clear if you can pull it off....... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Rust is.........rust......A old geezer about 1/4 mile down our street has built a 1938 Plymouth rat-rod that is so.........cool.....and it has the patina-of-rust that is simply classy in its own way.....and.....he has "protected-the-rust" by carefully applying a satin clear coat that even adds another element of "class".....of sorts.....

Obviously your truck with it's very clean-as-new appearance is at the far end of the spectrum from a rat-rod so rust would likely not be a good choice .......

Once you have tested your proof-of-concept steel hitch maybe the next step would be to........build a new hitch from stainless steel and polish it.......stainless welds are soooooo nice.......

Drive on.........(with nice hitches.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Southern climate and humidity is not very nice on steel and welded steel. The "window" of opportunity for blasted steel is about half a day before you better put some sort of primer on that "virgin surface". Epoxy or polyester paints are the best, although pricey. Rustoleum industrial paints are OK although not as tough, stay away from powder coating unless you know (or your applicator knows) how to properly prep the parts for external exposure of powder coated steel.

It is not widely known that powder coating is a porous paint, although you can't call it paint, it's melted plastic. Since it's porous the underlying metal will start doing "it's thing" underneath the paint, unless the surface of the metal has been rendered completely inert in the prep phase.

Learned that lesson on some of the early ETs. They were absolutely gorgeous when assembled with powder coated parts. With time chunks of powder coat would come off still attached to the rust that would form underneath.

I also vote for clear if you can pull it off....... :)

With a little elbow grease, she cleans up pretty well.

9a2e28d2-6c07-4996-8841-6e0ea76e8e25-s.j
1aa2afb2-bb31-4cfb-995b-370e225e9a52-s.j
0b0e6332-7d2c-494f-94c8-f54d87635a22-s.j
I leaning toward painting the base platform (gloss black) and the swingarms (gloss black), but clearing the floating platform.

Rust is.........rust......A old geezer about 1/4 mile down our street has built a 1938 Plymouth rat-rod that is so.........cool.....and it has the patina-of-rust that is simply classy in its own way.....and.....he has "protected-the-rust" by carefully applying a satin clear coat that even adds another element of "class".....of sorts.....

Obviously your truck with it's very clean-as-new appearance is at the far end of the spectrum from a rat-rod so rust would likely not be a good choice .......

Once you have tested your proof-of-concept steel hitch maybe the next step would be to........build a new hitch from stainless steel and polish it.......stainless welds are soooooo nice.......

Drive on.........(with nice hitches.....)

I'm all about some patina on the right vehicle. Here's my next project after the Volvo is finished.

38908E71-7C7B-45FF-9067-129D1EBDC2BB-s.j
It's a true military flatbed, from the day it was born. Not many of those left around. It will be built roadster-style with big (24" wheels in the back) on mud terrain tires and 18" wheels and street tires on the front. It will be lowered to the ground on airbags. The flatbed will be clearanced to allow the tires to sit above of the bed when lowered.
It will also get matte cleared.

I'm all about some patina on the right vehicle. Here's my next project after the Volvo is finished.

38908E71-7C7B-45FF-9067-129D1EBDC2BB-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

It's a true military flatbed, from the day it was born. Not many of those left around. It will be built roadster-style with big (24" wheels in the back) on mud terrain tires and 18" wheels and street tires on the front. It will be lowered to the ground on airbags. The flatbed will be clearanced to allow the tires to sit above of the bed when lowered.

It will also get matte cleared.

Are you going to keep the 360 or go for something more radical?

Are you going to keep the 360 or go for something more radical?

It actually has the inline 6. I would really like to EFI that and put a small turbo on it (maybe 300 HP), but I don't know yet. Would be a lot easier to do just about anything else.

It actually has the inline 6. I would really like to EFI that and put a small turbo on it (maybe 300 HP), but I don't know yet. Would be a lot easier to do just about anything else.

I have a 1969 mustang my dad bought new with the rare 250ci 6 cyl

It runs good and a turbo would be cool just not a V8.

I like your thinking though. Anybody can take a 5.0 and drop it in there and most people do. But I prefer the more period Correct motors and then tweak on them to be a little more modern like your thinking.

First driveway pull was a success, but I realized I would have to remove the alarm for the sliding hitch switch for that circuit to stay pressurized. I moved the air source to the rear suspension line for now, to avoid the alarm.

Next up, neighborhood roads. Then, 45 mph highway and some parking lot maneuvers.

IT'S ALIVE.!!!! All right, nothing failed in the drive way test....GOOD. Slowly working up to the canyon-sized potholes, the 70 MPH crash-avoidance swerve and the seat-creasing panic stop. You do realize that you don't have to test it to total failure...don't you ?? It's looking good and I am awaiting further videos. Congrats on the success of the first test. Great video !!! Thanks for posting it. Be safe, Charlie.

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

30 minute test drive was a success. I'm absolutely thrilled with how it performed. I have video of the whole process. I'll pull out some highlights and post them up later.

Now, to completely disassemble for paint. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Looking good, I might have to just keep my B&W hitch for when you go into production!

You can really see how much the hitch allows the pivot side to side in your video, your driveway must have some slope to it.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We like your new project.

Here is our son's new Ford project

As he found it in a barn in Indiana:

ResizedImage_1436309630342_zpsjxxtv7hn.j

And what it look like after he washed it:

ResizedImage951436312148209_zpsetzpbpt1.

It has numerous body modifications some very hard to notice. It is a 1978 F150 and it looks like it has a 351 Cleveland in it. Looks like a lot of the work was done in the early eighties but some of the body work is starting to show the neglect.

After just doing a little precautionary work to it and some newer tires, it was driven from central Indiana, 15 hours up to my kids place in West Central Wisconsin.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I tried to pick out most of spots that show off the articulation and energy absorption ability of the hitch platform. This edit makes it look like the hitch bounces around a lot, but that's not the case. It's just that the remaining 30 minutes of the video are really boring.

Dave, the truck looks very unique. Should be a fun project.

Sweet!

I expected it to work fine just by looking at your design. Interested in the the longevity and will you be putting it into limited production? ;)

My intent when building this hitch was never to produce them for sale, but I have had a ton of interest in doing just that. I'm still thinking through a few changes for V2. Those changes are geared toward a more production-friendly product (ie. not using the B&W hitch plate, avoiding expensive heim joints, etc.).

The hitch may bounce, but rewatch the video focusing on the trailer/vs/ background....it doesn't move! VERY nice...always that good feeling when the whole design process reaches its goal. You have now officially joined the BYOH.... :rolleyes::D

Repackage your design as a "module" with built on frame rails designed to "slip into" a standard truck frame and bolt in place. (of course "standard" may be not the correct word)

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The hitch may bounce, but rewatch the video focusing on the trailer/vs/ background....it doesn't move! VERY nice...always that good feeling when the whole design process reaches its goal. You have now officially joined the BYOH.... :rolleyes::D

Repackage your design as a "module" with built on frame rails designed to "slip into" a standard truck frame and bolt in place. (of course "standard" may be not the correct word)

Thanks, Jeff.

The current design yields itself well to sliding into a set of HDT frame rails. All you would need to do is drill a few holes and it would be good to go.

5D6F7BA3-DBE2-4B17-8AD6-B6DF80B76249-s.j
In my setup, I added a 4" extension to the chassis, but that would not be a requirement.

If you come back to the ECR in April would you be interested in giving a talk on your design process and manufacture?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If you come back to the ECR in April would you be interested in giving a talk on your design process and manufacture?

Absolutely. By then, there should be quite a few miles on it. The process behind the project would be a good conversation.

Archived