Building a 5th Wheel Air Ride Hitch

bmzero

The last parts came in from laser today.

056f9ffb-4877-48c3-b147-97d5c9855518-s.j
No jig required.

Tacked together

5d0e92aa-bb84-4d05-bf76-505a4342b6bd-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the weekend, I was able to get the truck into the shop (had to remove the stacks) and start on the finish work on the hitch.

It got hot enough (heat index of 106) that I even had to build a "custom" AC system for the shop.

81159a8d-ee4a-4ef8-9ed3-1af160ca417d-s.j

Air level valve mounted

0c211837-492f-481f-9e64-0c08538c9ac5-s.j
Hoses are just mocked up. I had to order a splitter.

I'm considering building a cantilever shock setup that rides below the hitch. The cantilever setup will allow me to run two traditional automotive shocks and tune the travel and leverage ratio with the linkage. It will also keep everything easily serviceable.

I had the advantage of having a low "bumper pull" hitch at the back of my truck. I used an ordinary LDT shock from the air hitch down to the bumper pull hitch frame. The shock I used had an adjustment knob to select tuning...just something a friend had laying around NIB. I think it helps control the bounce...and one should work just fine.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I had the advantage of having a low "bumper pull" hitch at the back of my truck. I used an ordinary LDT shock from the air hitch down to the bumper pull hitch frame. The shock I used had an adjustment knob to select tuning...just something a friend had laying around NIB. I think it helps control the bounce...and one should work just fine.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I mentioned two shocks because I may need to change the leverage ratio to make use of the full travel of the airbags (6"). If I increase the force applied to the shocks, one might not be enough. At this point, this is just a basic idea floating around in my head. I haven't put much thought into it.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

This is all TOO MUCH for me, all of you geniuses explain to me what is happening when it's all over!!!! LOL

A custom made "air-ride" 5th wheel....

Ok, I see that I shouldn't have been concerned about the rotational forces imposed on the hitch. Very impressive and Lookin' good. Can't wait for the movie. Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. We'll be out of town next week. I'm going to cram to have it ready for a controlled test pull before we leave (without shocks). We will be taking the F450 on the trip, so no real rush.

I may start hooking up the cameras this evening. I'll post up a test shot on YouTube.

Kinda makes me want to weld something.

Do NOT send me a PM, Cliick HERE to email me!

In considering a truck like that you need to ask yourself just how much you enjoy meeting new people, such as tow truck drivers and heavy truck mechanics?

Or perhaps, enjoying the great outdoors, like the side of the road while waiting to meet those exciting people?

Kinda makes me want to weld something.

Your welds were good enough to pound 10k miles to Alaska and back. Could that Mason jar of cherry 'shine have helped? :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks for the compliments.

The air line splitters and clevises came in today. I should be able to get everything finished up tonight and ready for a controlled test pull tomorrow, just in time to leave for the beach for a week of camping (not in the Volvo - need more test time on the hitch before a long pull like that).

It's alive!

Either I ordered the wrong splitter or they sent the wrong one, but either way, I was only to hook up one airbag for the video, which also means no test pull tomorrow.

Darn, I have to wait a whole week to see it perform with a load ????? it seems you would be thoughtful enough to delay your vacation instead of keepin' us in suspenders. Enjoy your vacation...we can wait a few days. I am now experiencing what Henry called the sweet spot of an air hitch. I was pulling a 31' Sunny Brook [great camper] with a trailersaver 2 bag hitch and it just didn't seem to be "floating' as I thought it should....now I am pulling a Keystone Cambridge [i hope it will be a great camper] with much more pin weight and the hitch is "floating" as i think it should. The truck doesn't care about the additional weight and the maneuvering didn't change much but the air hitch is definitely working better. I am somewhat envious of folks like you and Henry and others on the forum with the design skills you have. I will wait patiently ??? for you video of the test. As DolleyTrolley would say "Vacation on "!!! Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Darn, I have to wait a whole week to see it perform with a load ????? it seems you would be thoughtful enough to delay your vacation instead of keepin' us in suspenders. Enjoy your vacation...we can wait a few days. I am now experiencing what Henry called the sweet spot of an air hitch. I was pulling a 31' Sunny Brook [great camper] with a trailersaver 2 bag hitch and it just didn't seem to be "floating' as I thought it should....now I am pulling a Keystone Cambridge [i hope it will be a great camper] with much more pin weight and the hitch is "floating" as i think it should. The truck doesn't care about the additional weight and the maneuvering didn't change much but the air hitch is definitely working better. I am somewhat envious of folks like you and Henry and others on the forum with the design skills you have. I will wait patiently ??? for you video of the test. As DolleyTrolley would say "Vacation on "!!! Charlie

Ha. Thanks, Charlie. I apologize for building up the suspense.

The one trait I usually fall victim to is rushing a project. Due to the liability involved with this project, I have decided to only move to the next step in the process once I'm 100% confident each prior part is done. That has extended the timeline on this project quite a bit longer than I expected. No rush, though.

Good craftsmanship!

Thanks.

I had hoped to avoid tapping into the line feeding the rear bags, but I haven't come up with a better way to do it.

I'm still open to ideas, but here's my current plan, for which I have all of the parts ordered.

I will use one of these to splice into the feed line for the rear bags.

61adcb5b-f3ff-4a79-be2c-b009d987058a-s.j
Then, the 1/4" line will feed a 12V DC solenoid:
0f5f90df-a018-4218-817f-0634c4bf07d1-s.j
That will go feed into the air level valve.
Then, I will have another solenoid on the pressurized side of the air level valve.
Both solenoids will be wired to a sealed Contoura II lighted switch with a custom legend built onto it labeled "Air Dump". Flipping the switch will open one solenoid and close the other, allowing the bags to deflate with the push of a button. More information on the switches - http://www.k4switches.com/Product.aspx?pid=275
b4c3363c-3356-4670-8442-0f7747c7aca7-s.j
I don't expect to need to dump the hitch, but this setup will also allow me to remove the hitch from the rear suspension circuit in the case of a leak or the need to do work on the hitch.

I'm thinking you should look into gold cad plating this. The Only Way I'd Powdercoat is if you planned on painting over it to seal it afterwards but then what's the point?

I'm leaning toward painting it with some good automotive paint.

My plan was to use the sliding hitch airline on my truck to feed the air ride hitch.

That was my first thought as well, but I believe that circuit is not normally pressurized. The handle on my dash to disengage the hitch seems to be a momentary open, not consistent pressure. So, you would have re-plumb that circuit to bypass the handle and stay pressurized, at least that's my understanding of it.

Archived