Building a 5th Wheel Air Ride Hitch

bmzero

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to get everything disassembled and some of the components bead blasted this evening. Hopefully, I'll be to drop it off at the painter on Thursday. It will take me another evening to get everything cleaned up.

For all but the floating platform, we're going to use some BullDog adhesion promoter and black paint, the same products he uses on wrecker beds. The floating platform surfaces will remain bare, but the underside will be coated in black. It will all have a good thick coat (or coats) of clear.

9b32d093-6879-4995-9bef-be599d41aa20-s.j

c494378b-c1cd-4ad8-853d-9ef345e1d7f7-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Just a thought, but since this is your first one I would just put a light coat of something to prevent rust on it for your first 5000 miles or so. There is always a chance of unexpected stresses and heavy coats of paint can obscure the first signs of cracking or stress points that may rise up in a prototype.

Just a thought, but since this is your first one I would just put a light coat of something to prevent rust on it for your first 5000 miles or so. There is always a chance of unexpected stresses and heavy coats of paint can obscure the first signs of cracking or stress points that may rise up in a prototype.

I agree 100%, which is one of the main reasons the floating platform will only be cleared. I'm much less concerned about the rest of the assembly.

The first coat of black went on well. I used implement paint from Tractor Supply (Magik brand). The reviews online for this paint, when mixed with the hardener, are really good. It sprayed well.

4a16423d-f5be-4ff4-aca6-9c0370c21389-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

A couple more coats of black and a coat of clear should do it. The floating assembly and Watts Link will be clear only.

I painted a trailer with Magic paint with good results. Being in CA I'm sure it's a different formula, but it took weeks to fully cure. I figured be catalyzed, it would be ready in a couple of days?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I was able to get everything disassembled and some of the components bead blasted this evening. Hopefully, I'll be to drop it off at the painter on Thursday. It will take me another evening to get everything cleaned up.

For all but the floating platform, we're going to use some BullDog adhesion promoter and black paint, the same products he uses on wrecker beds. The floating platform surfaces will remain bare, but the underside will be coated in black. It will all have a good thick coat (or coats) of clear.

9b32d093-6879-4995-9bef-be599d41aa20-s.j

c494378b-c1cd-4ad8-853d-9ef345e1d7f7-s.j

48ca864c-d21d-4f9d-8e4e-04e707ad057e-s.j

Great weld penetration there Bret!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Been following this........Nice work. Just should have skimmed over with a fine sanding disc in and around the welds to get rid of any spatter before your paint finish.

Still a nice proven proto-type.

Sweet!!

Have a safe trip.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

After my successful trial by fire test of the hitch pulling the new 5er back from IN, I am thinking about what modifications I can make to improve the design. I am not interested in rebuilding my hitch, but I am interested in building another one with the new changes applied. If anyone here would be interested in getting V2 (only slight modifications) of this design, please let me know.

:lol::lol::D And it begins.... The continual search for the optimal improvement! :ph34r:

Glad it worked well for you, and that you're satisfied with your initial design. Tweaking as I'm sure you're aware of, is a never-ending search for a better mousetrap...... or hitch in this case!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

:lol::lol::D And it begins.... The continual search for the optimal improvement! :ph34r:

Glad it worked well for you, and that you're satisfied with your initial design. Tweaking as I'm sure you're aware of, is a never-ending search for a better mousetrap...... or hitch in this case!

Thanks. Yes, I'm hooked now. The changes I want to make are mostly for ease of install and some slight strength improvements (more overkill :D). After installing it so many times in the recent weeks, I have worked out most of the issues in my head. Getting them into metal is the next goal.

Thanks. Yes, I'm hooked now. The changes I want to make are mostly for ease of install and some slight strength improvements (more overkill :D). After installing it so many times in the recent weeks, I have worked out most of the issues in my head. Getting them into metal is the next goal.

One thing I've wished for is a hitch of this type with enough travel downward that would allow a flush-fitting cover above the hitch head for a flatbed function when the trailer isn't attached...and for general protection of the head.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

One thing I've wished for is a hitch of this type with enough travel downward that would allow a flush-fitting cover above the hitch head for a flatbed function when the trailer isn't attached...and for general protection of the head.

To do that, you would need to support the hitch platform below the bottom of the frame rails. That could definitely be done, but to get it up high enough to get to a 48" pin height, you would have to add some spacers below (or on top of) the airbags when in "tow mode". The airbags simply don't have enough travel.

The other option would be to make the vertical "stands" for the hitch head removable, allowing for a shorter floating platform. The previous option would be easier to change from tow mode to storage mode, though, and considerably safer.

This design could definitely be modified to accomplish that. Let me know if you would like to talk further about it.

After my successful trial by fire test of the hitch pulling the new 5er back from IN, I am thinking about what modifications I can make to improve the design. I am not interested in rebuilding my hitch, but I am interested in building another one with the new changes applied. If anyone here would be interested in getting V2 (only slight modifications) of this design, please let me know.

Ok so where does everyone line up to get a production hitch position number............oh ya, please recall....... I want my hitch in stainless with the rod links jeweled and the rest mirror polished............

No....... I presently do not have a 5er but with a polished stainless hitch who would want to cover such wonderful machinery with a trailer hitched up to it anyway.........

Nice job ......

Drive on.......(enjoy being hitched up........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Ok so where does everyone line up to get a production hitch position number............oh ya, please recall....... I want my hitch in stainless with the rod links jeweled and the rest mirror polished............

No....... I presently do not have a 5er but with a polished stainless hitch who would want to cover such wonderful machinery with a trailer hitched up to it anyway.........

Nice job ......

Drive on.......(enjoy being hitched up........)

I am having a few conversations over PM's about the next version of the hitch. If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.

I'm thinking maybe some ivory and engraving would be appropriate as well for yours, Dollytrolley.

Ruger-1-million-full-length-left.jpg

If you're serious about a low/flush mount hitch look into industrial air stops/bumpers, just a different application for air bags that opens up a new selection of sizes both dia. and length. I found some 6" dia. X 14" travel bumpers and used them on an offroad 4x4 suspension.

If you're serious about a low/flush mount hitch look into industrial air stops/bumpers, just a different application for air bags that opens up a new selection of sizes both dia. and length. I found some 6" dia. X 14" travel bumpers and used them on an offroad 4x4 suspension.

Thanks, Shorts.

Archived