Building a 5th Wheel Air Ride Hitch

bmzero

Jack is right (an eagle eye), indeed he spotted parts for another when he visited Old Goat's shop.

The deal was:

The design was going to be at no cost but the client would pay for parts for "two prototypes", one for his truck and one for Old Goat's truck. The client finished and installed his prototype and used it, the Old Goat is still "admiring" his kit on the shelf.

The kit:

2385371770096176628PKEWxt_fs.jpg

The "test"

2625249180096176628CqHAKz_fs.jpg

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack is right (an eagle eye), indeed he spotted parts for another when he visited Old Goat's shop.

The deal was:

The design was going to be at no cost but the client would pay for parts for "two prototypes", one for his truck and one for Old Goat's truck. The client finished and installed his prototype and used it, the Old Goat is still "admiring" his kit on the shelf.

The kit:

2385371770096176628PKEWxt_fs.jpg

The "test"

2625249180096176628CqHAKz_fs.jpg

Phoenix,

From one Old Goat to another, if we find ourselves in possession of a truck plus 5er, this Old Goat would be interested in installing said lift built from the leftover kit for my DW....

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Will not work on the newer Volvos, particularly on the ones with all this emission crap taking up all that space.

When the time comes I'll be looking for something like Jack's former white one. Nothing with a ton of emissions mess.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

• 3 weeks later...

The "pre- hockey stick hood ornament" models, I believe pre 2005, are the ones with ton of space under the passenger side.

My 2005 has a onan genset + fuel and a battery under the pass side ,they might be the same up to 2007 ?

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

My 2005 has a onan genset + fuel and a battery under the pass side ,they might be the same up to 2007 ?

My 2005 has a spare tire under there. Anyway to make the fairings hinge out vs the darn pins that tend to not hold well? Would love to have the passengers side swing out like the teal one to store a generator and reach it easily. May need to try to work on doing that this summer unless someone else tried it and had no luck?

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

• 4 weeks later...

Wow nice job.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Early at it this morning. I was able to get the frame trimmed and the hitch components in for their first test fit. Everything fit perfectly. That's a big weight off of my shoulders.

20150520_070202_w.jpg

View High Resolution Photo

20150520_070324_w.jpg

20150520_070333_w.jpg

20150520_070433_w.jpg

20150520_070422_w.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Looking Great! Count down to Hitching time T-minus 10,9,8,,,,, blast off. Are you using stainless? Wish my welds looked that good!

Thanks, Radar.

All of the pieces are mild steel, not stainless.

So far, everything has been TIG welded. The 1/2" pieces and the support platform will probably be MIG welded, so they won't be as pretty, but hopefully close. ;-)

Labor of love......what did you have in mind for finish coating...........Powdercoat?...........would look hot Nickel plated......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Labor of love......what did you have in mind for finish coating...........Powdercoat?...........would look hot Nickel plated......

In the racing world, I'm not a big fan of powdercoating because it's so hard to get off. I'll probably rattle can it with Rustoleum's professional line. It hardens very well, but can still be removed if necessary. Once all the bugs are out with the hitch, I may pull it back out, have it blasted, and then powdercoated. I haven't made a decision on that just yet.

Wow does that look nice. Feels mighty good when it FITS....even if it was all drawn up on CAD first.

FWIW--I hate powder coat. The idea sounds great, the reality is less than impressive. The Ag industry went heavily to powder coating, now all those implements look like they have scab. Any little nick or scratch becomes a massive rust bubble. Clean metal, a primer, and a couple top coats will outlast powdercoat--unless you plan to just leave the whole thing sitting under a glass case.

Our business went from spray can to powdercoat (worse) to zinc chromate (much better). Still having trouble getting a uniform finish so we went to stainless. Id say either automotive finish or just what you suggested...a couple spray cans of Pro.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Feels mighty good when it FITS....even if it was all drawn up on CAD first.

CAD is only as good as my discipline with a tape measure. It's unthinkable how many times I have questioned my tape measure skills, which is why it's such a relief when it fits as designed.

I agree on the Zinc. We have used that on suspension components for years. It's a great, thin, durable coating. I would love to do it on the hitch.

Powder coat looks great when it comes out of the oven. Lots of folks do not know that it is a porous paint allowing moisture to migrate beneath the paint, not very good for outdoor equipment. It can be used in outdoor equipment if the base metal is prepped properly basically pickled to a point where the steel has been converted so it can't rust because its surface is now "something else". That increases the cost of painting significantly, OK on a bicycle frame not practical on a combine or a bulldozer.

Nickel plate would sure look classy........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On our LGT the snazzy black powder coat on my about 2011 Torklift Super Hitch and camper tie downs is falling off. The black paint on the 2006 frame rails is in pretty good shape.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 1 month later...

I have been out of town quite a bit in the last few weeks, but I have been able to get some work done on the hitch.

19081854122_7d56dfa7af_b.jpg

19061276686_5291cfa0ed_b.jpg

19081859852_f10d3d17d7_b.jpg

The last pieces, used to solidly connect the upper arms to each other and the bottom arms to each other (to create "swingarms") have been sent off to the laser cutter. As soon as those are back, I should have the rest of the components welded and the final holes drilled in the chassis.

18899986018_e9b2292281_b.jpg

19061429186_c668683bea_b.jpg

Archived