Small plot of land

I've found a small plot of land that cannot be built upon due to it's size. Cannot get permits for building or putting in septic. The seller says small buildings and RV's are allowed. Haven't gone to the county offices to inquire yet on my own, but will before making any offers. 

Has anyone had a similar option? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I knew a guy that built a mountain cabin under similar circumstances. He did not want to pay the price for a well so he installed a 500 gallon cistern powered by a 12v RV water pump so he had water when power was out. He could not install a septic because some arcane rule required a well before a septic could be installed. So, he installed a 1500 gallon holding tank and had a honey wagon pump it out as needed. To fill the cistern he put a 200 gallon tank on a trailer and filled it at home before going to the cabin and then transferring it. Now, you would need to find a place to get water but I know in some places, in Texas at least, there are water delivery companies. The whole project is certainly doable. I would be more concerned that things like this were allowed in the first place and then take a look at the use of the surrounding properties to make sure someone did not NIMBY your project.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I suggest that you check with the county , state and local ordinances.  The idea of a septic holding tank can work. Water storage can work. Making sure the water is safe will need to be addressed.

I know of a campground in Montana that has about 120 full sites. One day I was there and noticed a sewer pumping truck come in.

I asked about it. What is he doing. I was told that they have holding tanks. To close to the lake.   The county allows the waste to be delivered to there treatment plant.

6 hours ago, lappir said:

I've found a small plot of land that cannot be built upon due to it's size. Cannot get permits for building or putting in septic. The seller says small buildings and RV's are allowed. Haven't gone to the county offices to inquire yet on my own, but will before making any offers. 

Has anyone had a similar option? 

Rod

Can I ask what state and county? I would also check if there's an HOA.

We did a lot of RV property searching around Colorado many years ago, and found a couple of situations like this. 

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

They make inscerting toilets and compost toilets. No septic needed. 

I'd like to see one of the incinerating units. I got a "Natures Head" a couple years ago and it's good, but it sure would be easier to just empty "ash". 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

There are some youtube videos of them. they work well and cleaning is simple. They are power hungry. also make a gas model. They are costly though. Less than lots of septic systems though. Search youtube for Ambition Strikes, burring our poop. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

17 hours ago, usbusin said:

Glenn, how is your retirement home coming along?

Kinda on standstill just now. Going to have to go to work and make some money. Septic is going to be $9250 and that includes permits. could borrow it but don't want to go in dept. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:51 AM, GlennWest said:

They make inscerting toilets and compost toilets. No septic needed. 

Yes they do.  See next reply..............

23 hours ago, GlennWest said:

There are some youtube videos of them. they work well and cleaning is simple. They are power hungry. also make a gas model. They are costly though. Less than lots of septic systems though. Search youtube for Ambition Strikes, burring our poop. 

The Forest Service has invested millions of dollars into remote toilet technology.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/sst-sweet-smelling-toilet.html

When I worked for the Forest Service the taxpayers payed good money to put in composting toilets and then payed good money again to remove them because they did not work.

Incinerating toilets have more potential.  But they take a lot of energy to work and need a fuel source.

The Forest Service budget includes MILLIONS of dollars for pumping those SST toilets.  The agency would like to get rid of that cost.  So far, they are still pumping the SST toilets, but at least we are no longer working with pre-1985 technology!!

Call San Dimas and see what they are up to in toilet technology.  There is at least one engineer working on that issue!!

The cutting edge technology in back country toilets is with the Forest Service. 

Follow them.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

12 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Yes they do.  See next reply..............

The Forest Service has invested millions of dollars into remote toilet technology.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2012/05/sst-sweet-smelling-toilet.html

When I worked for the Forest Service the taxpayers payed good money to put in composting toilets and then payed good money again to remove them because they did not work.

Incinerating toilets have more potential.  But they take a lot of energy to work and need a fuel source.

The Forest Service budget includes MILLIONS of dollars for pumping those SST toilets.  The agency would like to get rid of that cost.  So far, they are still pumping the SST toilets, but at least we are no longer working with pre-1985 technology!!

Call San Dimas and see what they are up to in toilet technology.  There is at least one engineer working on that issue!!

The cutting edge technology in back country toilets is with the Forest Service. 

Follow them.

Interesting information Vladimir. I will have to check out the link in a bit. Did not know they Government had tried anything other than the old pit's, which I despise. 

Thanks for your information and comments. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 2/25/2024 at 6:08 PM, Vladimir said:

Wasn't one of the issues with the FS composting toilets is they were too labor intensive for staffing levels?  Plus variables like some not getting used enough and others too much for the way they operated.

Latest update. 

Visited the "City Government" where the property jurisdiction resides. Not at all happy with the information. 

It's not the size of the property as I was initially told, but the fact a prior owner sold off a portion of the property "Illegally". Funny thing to me the property I am interested in was sold in a "Tax Sale" after the supposed initial "Illegal" sale, but apparently the City and County (which held the tax sale) don't communicate. I have a document where it was sold for $3100, right at $1000 per acre. Much Much less than what the current owner is trying to get paid. 

One thing I dislike about myself is my stubborn nature. Especially when I think something is just wrong. This is one of those things. 

So apparently the property has been inquired about multiple times. As soon as I mention the street they immediately recited the address where the small portion of the original property still resides. And where I heard first hand from a City Government employee who indicated the "Illegal" sale. The visit then moved to a Public Works person who indicated that the issue could be resolved by submitting an application for rezoning and having a new "Plat" to do so would also require the completion of significant road improvements on a "Minor Arterial Paving" requirements that include addition of a lane and paved shoulder from the intersection of the closest cross roads to the next. I would hate to imagine what that cost would be. 

It sure seems funny that One person wishing to park an RV on a 3 acre piece of property would cause such a significant change, but it may just be that last straw. 

The saddest part for me is I have permission for "Unlimited" parking of my RV on the property, as long as I don't live in the RV, if I choose to purchase the property. 

Will update if additional information is gained. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

That is a typical response.  The jurisdiction wants someone to pay for upgrades before approving a new lot.  A new subdivision went in that adjoined our property.   These lots were selling for around $120,000.  We wanted to add 2 more lots from our property to the subdivision.  We were told the county had relaxed many of their requirements as they wanted growth in this area so we met with them.  The relaxed requirements they wanted were estimated to cost $500,000 to $750,000 to add these 2 lots.  Seems the roads and water lines to the area were not up to new codes and would require extensive upgrades and any addition no matter how small would need to remedy that.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

That is a typical response.  The jurisdiction wants someone to pay for upgrades before approving a new lot.  A new subdivision went in that adjoined our property.   These lots were selling for around $120,000.  We wanted to add 2 more lots from our property to the subdivision.  We were told the county had relaxed many of their requirements as they wanted growth in this area so we met with them.  The relaxed requirements they wanted were estimated to cost $500,000 to $750,000 to add these 2 lots.  Seems the roads and water lines to the area were not up to new codes and would require extensive upgrades and any addition no matter how small would need to remedy that.

I guess they didn't ACTUALLY want growth all that much.. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

2 hours ago, lappir said:

Visited the "City Government" where the property jurisdiction resides. Not at all happy with the information. 

To me, assuming that you have not yet bought the land, you would be buying a major headache or worse. I would keep looking. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

To me, assuming that you have not yet bought the land, you would be buying a major headache or worse. I would keep looking. 

Me, too. Our daughter picked out some land in Wisconsin she wanted us to buy with her. Nope. Too many improvements required.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The price to purchase would be reasonable, if only they would allow me to live in my home on wheels for half or less of a year for  a few years. I'd then sell it at a reasonable price to the person who has the two acres so in my mind it would no longer be an "Illegal Subdivision". 

I did spend a couple hours in the area on the motorcycle and inquires about a couple other properties. One way out of my price range and the other with a "Just Listed" not on the realtor sign was already under contract, and still a bit out of my comfort zone in price. 

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

5 hours ago, lappir said:

The price to purchase would be reasonable, if only they would allow me to live in my home on wheels for half or less of a year for  a few years. I'd then sell it at a reasonable price to the person who has the two acres so in my mind it would no longer be an "Illegal Subdivision".

Having spent a few years ( over 20 ) on various zoning boards, I can tell you, we heard that line a lot.  "It's just temporary.  I'll only live there part time...."  Ten years later, we've got neighbors complaining of the run down old trailer with raccoons and opossums running in and out of it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net