Okay to cut through unoccupied RV sites?

amarie1

RV etiquette question: I know it's not cool at all to cut through (when walking, not driving) RV sites that are being used, whether or not the people are there.

But what about empty sites? Okay to walk through those? I do that when the "long way around" is too long. But I always feel slightly lawless when I do. 😉 

AM

Edited by amarie1
clarification

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

I have no ussue with going through a vacant site when out and about in a rv park. I don't do it a lot.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

We don’t drive through sites that are not not occupied. If we are walking we might go through one but not often. Never in a hurry driving through camp. Have seen some people Who take a short cut and speed through and kick up gravel and dust. Everybody has different thoughts about it

While walking pups, no. Only people, sure, quietly. No pups because they can leave wet spots at a moments notice, plus the empty site may have leftovers on the ground we don’t want them to get at.

Depending on the layout, we often set quasi barriers in our own site to keep out short cutters. Our heads sleep in a slide and in the past, short cutters have woken us up by walking into the slide.

22 minutes ago, Payroll Person said:

While walking pups, no. Only people, sure, quietly. No pups because they can leave wet spots at a moments notice, plus the empty site may have leftovers on the ground we don’t want them to get at.

Depending on the layout, we often set quasi barriers in our own site to keep out short cutters. Our heads sleep in a slide and in the past, short cutters have woken us up by walking into the slide.

👍

1 hour ago, Payroll Person said:

X2 👍👍

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

22 hours ago, Payroll Person said:

Musta been drunk or people that should be under supervision short cutters . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

16 hours ago, Payroll Person said:

Once, yes. Usual are kids on bikes, scooters, or just running around. Usually I an a fan of natural consequences, but now when it wakes us up. Plus that is the side with my utilities so running or walking on my hoses and cables is annoying. 

That must be a really, really tight space for someone to hit a slide or walk on your hose or cable. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

That must be a really, really tight space for someone to hit a slide or walk on your hose or cable. 

I've been in a few RV parks that were that close. One of my favorites was where very close spots were divided by flowering bushes. They kept you from seeing into the next site but not from eavesdropping on their conversation. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

IMO walking through an unoccupied campsite is no different than walking through any grassy area around the office, no harm no foul.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We are in a fairly small park that we've stayed at several times before. There are some people who are more or less permanent residents, some long-term (month or more), and some here only for a night. All the sites are pull-thrus, with the utilities between two sites. I will pull the truck into the site next to us to load and unload the propane tank, but that's it. I don't cut through a site that is next to an occupied site.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On occasion we will walk through the unoccupied spaces. However, we usually don't walk in the empty one that is right next to an occupied site. Walking neighborly and leaving what little privacy they have in a campground. If we are out walking it's for the enjoyment of the area and exercise. We will get where we are going eventually.

5 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

On occasion we will walk through the unoccupied spaces. However, we usually don't walk in the empty one that is right next to an occupied site. Walking neighborly and leaving what little privacy they have in a campground. If we are out walking it's for the enjoyment of the area and exercise. We will get where we are going eventually.

Good for you!  Ten different people or a bunch of kids constantly cutting through an unoccupied site is too much.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Good for you!  Ten different people or a bunch of kids constantly cutting through an unoccupied site is too much.  

No. Not really. If it’s not occupied it’s not a problem. But as I stated, as long as there is an empty space between the one we may cross through and the next camper, they are not bothered. 
Also, as I stated, when you are in a campground, there really isn’t any privacy. Probably 98% are packed together. So whether you walk on the road right next to folks cooking dinner or on the backside of their camper is irrelevant. In fact you are actually providing them more campground  privacy.