MORryde independent suspension and disk brake conversion, is it worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mr. cob

Howdy All,

A bit off topic but I know many of you folks have this setup from the factory and I am sure some have had the work done to their older trailer so I figured I could get some honest answers asking about these products on this forum.

I don't have an expensive trailer but it serves me well for my use, I have had Chad, install a very nice solar system, installed new Lithium batteries and unless something happens to it I do not plan to replace the trailer with another one.  I have towed my trailer in the last 7 years at least 75-80,000 miles.  I have never liked the way the stock brakes work, I have replaced the stock spring shackles with heavy duty ones, have replaced the stock spring bushings TWICE with grease-able bushing and wet bolts, have had to have the stock rear axle spring mounts re-welded to the frame as they have broken during use. The last time I had to have a spring mount welded they must have not gotten it aligned properly as the tire on the rear axle where the mount was welded is worn quite badly and will need to be replaced, this wear has come on suddenly so I am assuming something else has gone bad and needs to be addressed.

So rather then repair, again, a suspension-braking system that is marginal at best as I plan to keep this trailer till my traveling days are done should I just replace this junk with a quality system and be done with it?  I could repair what I have for $1,000-1,500 dollars OR replace it for $7-8,000 dollars and not have to worry about the brakes not working or the springs, shackles and bushings going bad for the rest of my traveling years.  So those who have the MORryde system what are your opinions of it, if you made the change would you do it again, bottom line is it worth the $$$$$$$$$

Thanks for any information you can share.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Our first trip, when we went full time, was to MorRyde for their Independent Suspension system and hydraulic brakes. That was in 2017 modifying a 2006 fifth wheel. At the time, figured we were investing in an upgrade we planned on using for 10 years.

The brake performance was very notably improved.  The trailer could stop the truck if need be. The brakes haven’t been maintenance free in the past 50,000 miles; we had one of the Kodiak 250 calipers leak and another the piston froze. We carry a spare! I wouldn’t hesitate to change to hydraulic brakes again.

The IS system is a bit harder for me to quantify the improvement. When we drive over a sizable bump, say backing up, it’s clear the independent suspension keeps the trailer from rocking at at all. We’ve had no significant issues with any of trailer contents being tossed around. From an engineering perspective/assessment, in my opinion, it’s worth the investment.  When MorRyde installed the system, they added a 2” rectangular tube to the frame to increase the wheel well travel space. Obviously this also strengthened the structure, an additional benefit. 

I suspect you already have 17.5” wheels, that was our highest priority improvement in terms of safety.

Safe travels and hope to see you again down the road. 

Edited by Jim & Wilma

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Dave,

MorRyde IS with 9k axles, 17.5” wheels and Kodiak disc brakes came installed on our slightly used DRV.  I wouldn’t change anything other than Dexter discs over Kodiak as I had an issue with their recalled caliper (bolts sheared) but none since the repair.  Kodiak stood tall for the expenses.  Also if doing the conversion get as big of axles as you can and just standard bearings.  DON’T get Neverlubes or EasyLubes.  More trouble than they are worth and Neverlubes virtually impossible to service on the road.  Of note when I was ordering bearings for the wheels after the caliper issue I tried getting direct from Dexter and they were using Chinese bearings as was what I could get from eTrailer.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I had Mor-Ryde replace the suspension on our 2005 Holiday Rambler. While doing the replacement I had another 1 1/2" added to the axle spacing and 2" lift to the trailer. I have the Kodiak Disc brakes and have not had a problem. I also installed Blu-Dot air over hydraulic actuation. In my opinion this is by far the best upgrade to our trailer

ShortyO

ps. there are more Mor-Ryde upgrades an opinions on this forum than the 5th  wheel forum

11 minutes ago, geodog said:

re more Mor-Ryde upgrades an opinions on this forum than the 5th  wheel forum

Agreed, and I respect, trust and learn more from the opinions on this forum than probably all the others combined.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Howdy All,

rpsinc, I'll take your advice and post this in the 5th wheel forum as well as here.

Thanks for your replies, I really do appreciate your posts.  I forgot to mention that shortly after buying the trailer new in August of 2014, I did have installed 17.5 wheels and commercial grade tires that have served me well.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I already replied in the other thread before I saw this one so I won’t give all the details again, but I will say I think you would be happy with the upgrade.  Plus, it’s only money, they keep printing more of it and you can’t take it with you. 😎

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'll chime in. After wearing out tires about every 1500 miles or so I had my 2013 Keystone Raptor 300mp upgraded to the 8k MORryde IS, kodiak disc brakes and 17.5" wheels w/GY G114 rubber about 3 years ago. The upgrade is nice and really nice to have a suspension system which can be aligned(now I can actually keep tires on it). The kodiak disc brakes have given me some trouble as others have said but, I think that problem has finally been sorted out. 

Now I feel I am stuck with our Raptor with the investment between that upgrade and our solar & lithium. The bottom line is the Raptor still has a LCI frame and that's the weakest link in the whole thing.  Would I do it again? I'm not sure! I have so many upgraded and rebuilt parts on my Keystone Raptor it's kind of scary to imagine starting over with a different rig now. Sure I like the upgrade performance wise, but now feel I'm stuck unless I don't mind losing a lot of $.  Kind of a catch 22 so to speak.  Still for the total investment my price point is still way lower than if I had a spacecraft or New Horizon.  I guess what I am trying to say is make sure you really want to stay in the same rig before you do it!  At the end of the day I still have a 2013 Keystone Raptor...

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

7 hours ago, dmk said:

I'll chime in. After wearing out tires about every 1500 miles or so I had my 2013 Keystone Raptor 300mp upgraded to the 8k MORryde IS, kodiak disc brakes and 17.5" wheels w/GY G114 rubber about 3 years ago. The upgrade is nice and really nice to have a suspension system which can be aligned(now I can actually keep tires on it). The kodiak disc brakes have given me some trouble as others have said but, I think that problem has finally been sorted out. 

Now I feel I am stuck with our Raptor with the investment between that upgrade and our solar & lithium. The bottom line is the Raptor still has a LCI frame and that's the weakest link in the whole thing.  Would I do it again? I'm not sure! I have so many upgraded and rebuilt parts on my Keystone Raptor it's kind of scary to imagine starting over with a different rig now. Sure I like the upgrade performance wise, but now feel I'm stuck unless I don't mind losing a lot of $.  Kind of a catch 22 so to speak.  Still for the total investment my price point is still way lower than if I had a spacecraft or New Horizon.  I guess what I am trying to say is make sure you really want to stay in the same rig before you do it!  At the end of the day I still have a 2013 Keystone Raptor...

Howdy DMK,

Thanks for your post, it makes a LOT OF SENSE.  I won't be up grading to a different trailer because of our ages, don't know how much longer my gimped up ole arse will be up to this type of activity.  The more I think about it its darn hard to justify the cost in relationship to how long I plan to use the truck and trailer, I would never recover even a quarter of the cost when it comes time to sell.  So I'll do what needs to be done to make it safe to tow and use.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I made the move last year Jan21 on my GD 399th Momentum.  I went with the 8K on all three axles and then installed the blue dot for air over hydraulics.  I designed my  brake system so I can toggle between air or electric if a different vehicle is needed to tow our rig.    Since I went with the Moryde IS.....I don't have to use my pin nailer after miles of rough roads and my Sonos speakers stay on the  shelves where I left them.  For me... it was worth the 10K.  

I don't understand why you all have a rough ride with standard suspension? Our previous DRV and or current Teton both are very smooth. Nothing moves. Forgot the DRV did have the little air bags on suspension. Teton don't

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I don't understand why you all have a rough ride with standard suspension? Our previous DRV and or current Teton both are very smooth. Nothing moves. Forgot the DRV did have the little air bags on suspension. Teton don't

All in the engineering. Too close between the equalizer and the hard mounts leads to a rough ride. Ask me how I know that.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hi Dave. I have been contemplating the IS as well for my Solitude and may still down the road.  This spring I installed the Comfort Ride Slipper Spring kit with shocks. I also upgraded to 8000 lb springs in the process. There is a noticeable difference in the ride. Company is just down the road from you in Vancouver. I installed kit myself by myself with a couple floor jacks. We have about 10,000 miles since the install and have been happy so far. Kit was about $1200 if I remember correctly. Again, it is not Mor-ryde IS but it is a huge upgrade from stock as the axles move independently. I had disc brakes on our Mobile Suites prior to this coach and definitely plan to do that upgrade in the future. Big truck stops the rig fine as is but still prefer the disc brakes. 

14 hours ago, tyates007 said:

Hi Dave. I have been contemplating the IS as well for my Solitude and may still down the road.  This spring I installed the Comfort Ride Slipper Spring kit with shocks. I also upgraded to 8000 lb springs in the process. There is a noticeable difference in the ride. Company is just down the road from you in Vancouver. I installed kit myself by myself with a couple floor jacks. We have about 10,000 miles since the install and have been happy so far. Kit was about $1200 if I remember correctly. Again, it is not Mor-ryde IS but it is a huge upgrade from stock as the axles move independently. I had disc brakes on our Mobile Suites prior to this coach and definitely plan to do that upgrade in the future. Big truck stops the rig fine as is but still prefer the disc brakes. 

Howdy tyates007,

I have been spending so much time researching suspension up grades I feel like its a job.  I ran across the Comfort Ride slipper spring setup yesterday.  Watching the videos to "me" the Comfort Ride looks like it controls the springs better then the MORryde, that and everything is mounted much higher thus providing LESS side thrust on the mounts when making sharp turns.

I think one of the things that has raised hell with my suspension is that in order to leave from home I have to drive about a quarter of a mile to a culdesac, yes I know its sqeled wrong, in which I have to place the steering of the truck full lock and watch the axles of the trailer try to come out from under the trailer whilst making the turnaround.  When I park at home I have to drive past my driveway and then back into what little parking space I have, then to leave go through the tight turnaround so I can get out of my neighborhood.  This would even stress the ID MORryde suspension.

So know I am going to get my trailer inspected at a place called "Torklift" they setup my Dodge back before I became an HDT'er, they do great work and I have talked to them about building NEW fixed end spring hangers made of thicker material with gussets off of the frame.  This gettin old and being so darn gimped up is for the birds I hate having to pay others to do what I used to be able to do myself.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Lawrence, that's just crazy enough to work.  A 12v water pump, a little tank with soapy water, some nozzles, and a wireless remote, and yer in bizness.   I'd bet Dave has everything in his man cave.  If not, I do.  C'mon over and we'll do mine tooo.

(edit)  Duh.  We usually have plenty of soapy water on board.

Edited by rickeieio
spelling

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

On 10/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, noteven said:

Hi dmk,

A heavy duty suspension shop can align a leaf spring/shackles/equalizer type trailer.

All parts must be in wear tolerance.

They bend the axles to point the wheels where they need to be.

True, but easier to find a shop capable of aligning the IS.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

Howdy All,

I just now received an email from the shop in Grants Pass Oregon, that is an authorized MORryde installation center to have the IS and disk brakes installed on my trailer.

$16,909.31 cents and that does NOT include final alignment.  The estimate from the MORryde factory if it were to be installed at the factory in Indiana, was $12,367.41

Needless to say MORryde parts are not going to be installed on my trailer.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

22 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Get Newt a tin cup, and some pencils.

Howdy Darryl,

I really don't know how to put this but it's not the money in and of itself; if something came up that needed to be taken care of such as the CAT needing an in-frame I could cover that easily without changing our eating habits.  It's the insane parts pricing and over 52 hours of labor they want to charge for.  As gimped up as I am if I had a flat, hard surface to work on and a 10 dollar Harbor Freight laser to insure the alignment "I" could do this job in less then 52 hours with equipment I have by myself.

If "I" were 20 years younger, I would have it done, if "I" had a very nice trailer "I" would have it done; as it is "I" can buy more tires then "I" will wear out for 16K in the time "I" will probably use the trailer.

"Newt and now Willy" have a full time job just keeping me sociably acceptable enough to evade incarceration, no way they are going to work as beggars.  Being a "Cob" is sometimes an easy cross to bear when faced with such situations. 😉

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I hear you, there. Our trailer is in the shop, approaching 1 month, for 4 to 5 days work. Nothing I haven't done in the past, but I don't have the welder, jackstands, etc. that a shop does. My problem has been their lack of manpower, and pulling guys off my job to work on something else. If I was really pushed for a home, I could probably get it finished today, but then I'd have to get my own version of Newt and Willy to keep the blood pressure respectable. The pups are very good pups, indeed. I meant no slight against Newt by implying he wasn't working as hard as he could.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.