Getting Smart on truck bed

trimster

Having NOT personally moved a Smart onto the bed of the truck, there's two options: Drive it or winch it on. I'm setup for the winch option now.

The question(s)...

1) is the tow package installed on the Smarts strong enough to support the weight of the car while being winched aboard?

2) is a 3000# winch enough to pull it up? It currently works pretty hard pulling our 1000# Spyder up, but it does so without a glitch. The Smart tips the scales around 2000#. Not sure how to calculate the 'load' with it going up the ramps. 12' ramps, 47" rise.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Just now, GlennWest said:

If you double the cable be much smoother and less stress on winch.

So 2:1 ratio. Have to check if the winch drum will handle that much line. 50' has it about 90% full now. I'd need 75' to do the 2:1 ratio. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

47 minutes ago, trimster said:

So 2:1 ratio. Have to check if the winch drum will handle that much line. 50' has it about 90% full now. I'd need 75' to do the 2:1 ratio. 

Park closer to the truck.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just now, trimster said:

12' ramps kinda fix that distance. 

12' of rope, plus 8'6" for the bed width, add 1 full wrap for proper winch safety, and you're still well short of 50'. Just sayin'.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

12 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

12' of rope, plus 8'6" for the bed width, add 1 full wrap for proper winch safety, and you're still well short of 50'. Just sayin'.

2:1 ratio requires out-back-out. Just out-back is still 1:1 I think.

So 60' min.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

2:1 is only double line. You're describing triple. From the winch, to a pulley, back to the winch (or it's mounting surface).

Please e-mail us here.

28 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

2:1 is only double line. You're describing triple. From the winch, to a pulley, back to the winch (or it's mounting surface).

Looking up block n tackle ratios. ... 

Winch to load (direct),  and winch to pully on load back to winch support is 1:1.

Maybe I've misread the drawings/tutorials.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

FWIW, we (meaning my wife) drive ours on, with a 40" deck height and 10' ramps.  BUT, I'm incorporating a winch mount into the bed, plus building a set of "race ramps", 48" long with 10" rise.  We've loaded with the 10' ramps and no race ramps (and 43" deck height) for the past 6 years with zero issues.

I'm planning to buy a light duty winch but use a snatch block for 2:1 .  If I back the car up on the race ramps, then attach the line, I'll need about 42' of line total.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, trimster said:

Looking up block n tackle ratios. ... 

Winch to load (direct),  and winch to pully on load back to winch support is 1:1.

Maybe I've misread the drawings/tutorials.

Yep you misread. Direct from winch to car is 1:1, from winch to car around pulley and back is 2:1.

We do the 2:1 using a harbor freight 2500# winch and we use 16' ramps. I do drive the car up onto the ramps and then hook up the cable. I use the single tow hook as my winch is in line with it. I got my pulley from Tractor Supply as they had a 8000# one.

I have a video on my Facebook group showing it being winched up.

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Howdy Robert,

I use 12 ramps, my bed when the air is dropped it 45 inches from ground level.  I use a Harbor Freight, 3,500 pound winch, at first I did the double line pulls, to slow, didn't need it and keeping the cable from snarling when winding in was a problem.  I cut the cable from 50 feet to 25 and now use just a single line to pull the Smart Car onto the deck with no problem as far as winching power and the cable winds in easily with no snarling as there is plenty of room on the drum.  Works for me.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

32 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

Yep you misread. Direct from winch to car is 1:1, from winch to car around pulley and back is 2:1.

We do the 2:1 using a harbor freight 2500# winch and we use 16' ramps. I do drive the car up onto the ramps and then hook up the cable. I use the single tow hook as my winch is in line with it. I got my pulley from Tractor Supply as they had a 8000# one.

I have a video on my Facebook group showing it being winched up.

Not doubting your 1:1 with a snatch block. But online sites about this stuff shows the following: 

If load N=100

The rope to the block 'sees' N=100

The rope returning to the tie-off point also sees N=100. That's 1:1 in my mind. Again. Not a mechanical lever wizard here. Just trying to figure it out. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

the bully/block sees 100 the winch sees 50 and the dead end sees 50, if you are using twice as much line........

(we are ignoring friction). 

you know if you add enough tackle/ purchase  you can end up with no advantage ,it all is lost to friction in the rope and pull sheaves.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

The other question...can the Smart hitch handle it's own weight? Hook to the hitch and pull it up on the bed.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

When you pull a rolling load the sliding force is lower than dead weight.     The siding force of a 2000 car on a 30 degree inclined plane is about 1700 pounds.    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

14 hours ago, trimster said:

The other question...can the Smart hitch handle it's own weight? Hook to the hitch and pull it up on the bed.

I thought I remembered other discussion about pulley/snatch block arrangements vs. cable length.  I searched but only turned up this post from Rick about the hitch, which may or may not help.  As usual for me, it’s only slightly related.  🙂

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/135597-winch-capacity/

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, trimster said:

Not doubting your 1:1 with a snatch block. But online sites about this stuff shows the following: 

If load N=100

The rope to the block 'sees' N=100

The rope returning to the tie-off point also sees N=100. That's 1:1 in my mind. Again. Not a mechanical lever wizard here. Just trying to figure it out. 

This site might help explain it better. Hone Eagle is correct that by using the pulley, the winch only sees half the load, the other half of the load is handle by the winch hook and the spot you hook it to on your truck. The vehicle will also go up at half the speed. 

I used this type of stuff almost everyday in my work as an engineer for an elevator company to determine what size our equipment needed to be.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-electric-winch.aspx

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

5 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

This site might help explain it better. Hone Eagle is correct that by using the pulley, the winch only sees half the load, the other half of the load is handle by the winch hook and the spot you hook it to on your truck. The vehicle will also go up at half the speed. 

I used this type of stuff almost everyday in my work as an engineer for an elevator company to determine what size our equipment needed to be.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-electric-winch.aspx

Thanks.  Helpful. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished fabricating the winch snatch block mount bar on the front of the smart. Came out nice I think. The bar mounts to the tow bar mounts the previous owner put on the car. One of the reasons we bought this one. Saved us a bit of money and a ton of time installing it.

VKnNuUAl.jpg

ISUAqGIl.jpg

I'll be putting it to the test tonight when I pull the  car up on the bed so I can mark were the wheel chalks will mount. Fortunately, the CanAm and the smart have the same width for 2 tires, so I just need to align and fabricate the mount locations for the Smarts other 2 tires.

Oh, following the Dr Who theme where the truck is the 'Tartus', the Smart is the doctors trusty companion 'K-9'.

9yWfCuHl.jpg

Ya, a bit geeky... but what's a guy to do.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg