CO Congressman Introduces Bill Banning Gun Sales To Non-Residents

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple comments.

1)  Bills introduced expire at the end of each session of Congress and must be reintroduced in the new session (unless passed).

2) The intent of my post was simply to spread the word to those people likely to be effected so that they could contact their representatives and express their opinion on the bill.

3)  The bill proposes a change in federal not state law.

4) I for one will not be contacting my representative regarding erectile dysfunction or incontinence for that matter.  I will however let them know I oppose this bill, and ask that they do too.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

3 hours ago, KodiakJack said:

Couple comments.

1)  Bills introduced expire at the end of each session of Congress and must be reintroduced in the new session (unless passed).

2) The intent of my post was simply to spread the word to those people likely to be effected so that they could contact their representatives and express their opinion on the bill.

4) I for one will not be contacting my representative regarding erectile dysfunction or incontinence for that matter.  I will however let them know I oppose this bill, and ask that they do too.

Later,

J

I have been looking at this and some things come to mind. First, I can find no indication that this bill has actually been introduced yet. Second, in reading the bill, which was linked here is not going to fix what he is calling a loophole. He wants to close the sale of long guns to a person not a resident of the state they are purchasing one in. That is actually already pretty limited. In Colorado you can only purchase a long gun if you live in Colorado or one of the states immediately bordering Colorado. As I read it, this would go away. However, under 18 U.S. Code a long gun, by definition does not include SHOTGUNS and this is what the Columbine lady purchased. A shotgun seems to enjoy some exemptive status.

Any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes)

Perhaps folks with better legal research skills than me can come up with more. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, KodiakJack said:

Couple comments.

Later,

J

Senior moment.  The proposal is a change is to state not federal law.

Later,

J

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I have been looking at this and some things come to mind. First, I can find no indication that this bill has actually been introduced yet. Second, in reading the bill, which was linked here is not going to fix what he is calling a loophole. He wants to close the sale of long guns to a person not a resident of the state they are purchasing one in. That is actually already pretty limited. In Colorado you can only purchase a long gun if you live in Colorado or one of the states immediately bordering Colorado. As I read it, this would go away. However, under 18 U.S. Code a long gun, by definition does not include SHOTGUNS and this is what the Columbine lady purchased. A shotgun seems to enjoy some exemptive status.

Perhaps folks with better legal research skills than me can come up with more. 

The bill is H.R. 647.  It's status is 'introduced' and has 9 cosponsors.

Later,
J

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/647?s=2&r=1

12 hours ago, KodiakJack said:

The bill is H.R. 647.  It's status is 'introduced' and has 9 cosponsors.

Thanks, Jack. Like I said, someone better at searching. Text is not available yet so it will be interesting to see what changes have been made from the draft on Rep. Crow's website.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Many states already will not sell a hand gun to nonresidents of states.  You can buy a long gun, just no hand guns.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

sad but even here in ca. it is legal to buy a gun out of state. just the hoops one has to go through as gun sales are controlled federally, not by states. but then said gun must be legal in the buyers state.

as one also needs a ffl dealer in the buyers state and one in sellers state to go with the deal. so in the long run it could cost up to double what the gun cost to begin with. as both ffls charge a "fee", then the ffl transfer fee, added tax, both states tax you, then the state  "fees"aka: gun tax,  etc.

some states ffl dealers will sell to a buyer from another state, as this is how it should be anyhow. as one can buy everything else in another state why not guns. (all new, some used guns go through a ffl dealer so there is a paper trail in the loop). yes some states do allow privet sales, and such should be legal as you can sell most everything else one to one and no government bureaucrat problems in the way.

No law will keep a bad guy from getting a gun.

the number do not lie, the USA is number 28 in line of countries for gun deaths and we here have millions of registered guns in legal hands, that have never been used in any crime. and then billions of rounds?

obama was a great gun seller, so many were bought under his term, and now biden has eclipsed him and not even through his fist year. i just hope all the new owners learn the safe and correct way to handle a gun.

Knowledge is far more powerful than a bullet.

the five points to remember for your life.

family,   faith,   friends,   firearms,  freedom.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, NamMedevac 70 said:

In Nevada Gun dealers with S&B stores are doing a booming business.  I wonder why?.  Happy RVer.

Because there are so many people who are so easy to scare, and they end up living their life in fear, so they buy guns thinking everyone is out to get them.  I believe the medical term is paranoia.

Edited by pjstough

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

14 minutes ago, pjstough said:

Because there are so many people who are so easy to scare, and they end up living their life in fear, so they buys guns thinking everyone is out to get them.  I believe the medical term is paranoia.

Agree!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Per Federal law, you must be a resident of the State, to purchase a hand gun in that State. 

To purchase a long gun (rifle) or shot gun, if you are not a resident, you must have the gun dealer (who has a FFL) ship the weapon to a FFL in your home State where you the buyer would pick it up.  You do not pay double sales tax. The FFL dealer in your State collects a fee for the transfer. You purchased the weapon in the other State and pay for it including sales tax in the other State. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

12 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Per Federal law, you must be a resident of the State, to purchase a hand gun in that State. 

To purchase a long gun (rifle) or shot gun, if you are not a resident, you must have the gun dealer (who has a FFL) ship the weapon to a FFL in your home State where you the buyer would pick it up.  You do not pay double sales tax. The FFL dealer in your State collects a fee for the transfer. You purchased the weapon in the other State and pay for it including sales tax in the other State. 

In Colorado one can purchase a long gun here and go hunting even if out of state. Gun dealers sell a number of long guns to out of state residents every year.  In fact the case sighted by the congressman who has proposed it this year and last was a person who flew to Colorado and purchased a shot gun.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Or maybe lots of people enjoy shooting firearms as a sport?

Or would like to have the ability to protect themselves if the need ever arises?

Certainly not paranoia for either case, just your opinion. 

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

19 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Sorry I made a mistake. To purchase a hand gun if you are not a resident, the weapon must be shipped to an FFL dealer in your home State as stated above. A long gun can be purchased in any State. I apologize for the misinformation. Had a senior moment. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

i for one am not parodied. i collect old, odd, unusual guns. then learn what was going on in that country. as in politics, economy, metal making. just life. etc. love history. and love to target shoot.

getting a little .17 caliber bullet to hit in the 1/2 black circle out at 100 yards is not easy. 

Most people I notice buying guns don't seem fearful to me and are just preparing for possible safety issues just like buying portable generators for possible safety issue of Texas style severe icing, hurricanes, etc.

P.S. Good news for many of you.  According to many news sources the CBP has discontinued their highway checkpoints to move more man power elsewhere so no more slow downs or INCONVENIENCES for RV snowbirds.  Oh Happy Days. Cheers.

Edited by NamMedevac 70