General Motors to stop producing gasoline and diesel cars by 2035 and only sell electric vehicles

RV_

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

OK, who said anything about it happening tomorrow?  Only thing I have seen in this whole thread is about it can’t happen because we don’t have everything already in place !  

Maybe I am reading it differently than you are. Most posters are saying it is inevitable, and are just relating the obstacles that must be overcome before we reach that point. Great to set high expectations,, but the reality for most, is how are you going to put food on the table. Personally I would like to see a carbon free world , but realize I am going have to fill up my truck with fossil fuel for a while before that can happen. I can also sympathize with the workers who will have to sacrifice a good paycheck in the name of progress. And I disagree that everything doesn't have to in place.  It will be a transition, but you cannot ban diesel semi's before you develop an electric truck that will fulfil the same duties.

On that note, agree with NamMed, much ado about nothing, it will happen when it happens, last comment from me.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I know how we can use more electricity, build more Tesla Superchargers. Oh wait, he is, but that deserves a new thread.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

A thought. What can substitute an oil fired or gas heater up in northern states? I know of nothing. Could not afford electric strips. Heat pumps won't work in those temps. I just don't see oil and gas going away. Well been researching heat pumps in extreme northern states and they have models with proper insulation that will work up there. I leaned something.

There are many all electric homes in upstate NY. Heat pumps can work well down to 30 deg.F or so, as did the one we had installed in a previous home. For that one, we specified natural gas as the auxiliary heat source since we were replacing an existing gas furnace, but electric auxiliary is more commonly used. The electric rates in much of NYS stay relatively low due to the at cost power provided by the NY Power Authority, most of it currently from hydro.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, jcussen said:

We import 3.7 million barrels of oil a day from Canada. Of course it will drop in the new all electric America, but we now heat over 60% of our homes with oil or natural gas. Something electricity will not be able to replace for quite a while. Pipelines are over 4.5 times safer than transporting by rail and trucks. The all solar and wind turbine  goal is fine, but we will be reliant on natural gas and oil for a long time, Piping in oil from Canada is lot cheaper than importing it in from other oil producing areas.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/safety-in-the-transportation-of-oil-and-gas-pipelines-or-rail-rev2.pdf

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRIMUSCA2&f=M

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/5e6f425a-e1c7-441a-9aa0-64890e4ecade/resource/b7080f88-f748-45f0-8294-81d32a7a834c/download/13-Explaining-oil-price-differentials-form

Don't forget that the tar sand oil that Keystone XL is intended to ship is much more corrosive than the more common drilled crude oils, considered the "dirtiest" of all crude oil sources by many scientists. Take a look at the safety record of the existing Keystone pipeline. Hundreds of thousands of gallons lost into the environment due to leaks. I'm not advocating trucking as a better way to transport tar sand oil, but compared to the hazards of piping it across hundreds of streams, rivers, and other environmentally sensitive areas such as aquifers that serve thousands of people, I suspect truck or train tankers could be safer over all. Even safer yet, leave it in Canada and let them build their own refinery.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Did anyone say it will happen all at once?  

How does everyone jump from aspirational goals that we works towards to cries about it can't be done tomorrow?  Glad JFK didn't listen to the naysayers that said we couldn't put men on the moon because our rockets always blew up.  We got better at it!  And the benefits of doing that effect EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of our lives today.

What makes you think you got to the moon?  Show me the proof!  🤣

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Where are you located? Heating is easy where we are. Northern states not so.

We had a coupla days of -40C two weeks ago and next week we will get some -30 to -35C!!!

Did i tell you how much i miss Texas this year?

You are welcome to visit, just drive north till you see snow then drive another 600 miles!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

2 hours ago, orca said:

What makes you think you got to the moon?  Show me the proof!  🤣

We were at ASU in early 70s,  they got some of the moon rocks and we knew profs and grad students that were studying them.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, orca said:

We had a coupla days of -40C two weeks ago and next week we will get some -30 to -35C!!!

Did i tell you how much i miss Texas this year?

You are welcome to visit, just drive north till you see snow then drive another 600 miles!

So you're storing the Pfizer vaccine in the back yard? 😎

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

22 hours ago, RV_ said:

I know how we can use more electricity, build more Tesla Superchargers. Oh wait, he is, but that deserves a new thread.

Right, and power them with huge on-site diesel generators when the grid can't keep up with demand, as happened during holiday weekends in 2018, 2019 and now 2020 when the electric infrastructure in San Luis Obispo couldn't charge all the Teslas going between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

By Thanksgiving 2019 Tesla put a mega battery on a semi-trailer instead of hauling a diesel generator there to meet the demand.  Green Power!  Except they had to use a diesel powered truck to haul the battery back and forth to Fremont every night to recharge it.  Again, not enough grid capacity to recharge it overnight on-site or to supply enough grid-connected charging stations to meet the demand.

SLO's problem isn't as simple as building another substation to feed the Superchargers, it's not having the transmission line capacity to bring in enough power to handle the Tesla demand.  This will be replicated nationwide if electric vehicles are widely adopted.

Here's a look at the immense backup waiting to charge at the Madonna Inn over the 2020 New Year's weekend, even with the additional mega battery charging stations.  Makes the gas lines during the 1979 oil crisis and in the days immediately after "Superstorm" Sandy look tame by comparison.
|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmnDU2CJCwM

Edited by Lou Schneider

The only thing more foolish than saying the climate is not changing and adapting will be required (as humans have adapted in the past),  

is formulating government and public education policy on the “world is about to end” climate alarmist rhetoric. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Lou we never lived in California but my mom moved there before I joined the AF. So we stopped there a lot when we started full time, until she died. Haven't been back since.

Here is that same Madonna Inn Tesla Supercharger station, and it's a month later. Guess it's ready to quickly charge. We also have our 2019 Subaru Forester and love it and the Eyesight accident avoidance system. We bought it new too.

Madonna Inn

Supercharging The Old 76 Station Madonna Inn

Gas S Rise In Slo County And

Gas S Rise In Slo County And California Pes Average San
:o:P

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I suspect the FUTURE when it arrives will be NOTHING like we imagined.

I bought a off-grid house in 1997 and put in a solar charging system for electricity.  Critical component the batteries.

Reading Barron's they assured me that I would in a couple of years have a mini-gas turbine system to provide my electricity.  They indicated I shouldn't invest too much money into the gas turbine systems, since they would within FIVE years be replaced by fuel cells.

RIGHT!!!.  It is 2021.  TWENTY-FOUR years later.

The gas turbine never arrived.  Nope, somehow the fuel cell is missing as well.

Yep, had to replace my lead acid batteries.......with lead acid batteries.

Worse yet, I am looking to add two sets of solar panels to the existing string.  None, of the electricians want to touch it.

They want me to replace the entire system...panels, inverter, batteries, and mounts for $50,000.  I spent 40,000 over the past twenty-four years for the CURRENT system which works fine. 

Oh, I did have someone come out to look at my 30 years old generator.  They said, keep it, the new generators are a piece of crap.  Buy all the points and spark plugs you can for it and keep it running.

So instead of the future....I am stuck in the past trying to nurse it along. 

Yeah, the future isn't all that grand from the perspective of 1997. 

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Vlad, I'm sorry you made poor choices that did not pan out.

I don't invest in things that aren't already in existence.

I bought my Model Y, Tesla's fourth model. We love it. It panned out.

I am a very happy guy, with a very happy wife, living a very happy life. So no more feeding trolls here or elsewhere.

Turning from cherry picked photos and negativity, here is a quote more suited for me:

"What’s a thought that helps you get out of bed? I believe that whatever it is helping us rise from our rest is the same force driving us to achieve our everyday goals. Personally, it’s knowing that companies like Tesla and SpaceX are helping to engineer an exciting and fun future. Witnessing one man change the entire course of humanity, because he felt like he needed to, seriously makes me wonder what I am doing with my life. How can I sit around and be upset about anything when there is someone nearly working themself to death, almost every day, for my grandchildren’s future? Elon’s dedication to my future has helped me to finally care about it too. Since 2018, I quit smoking cigarettes, quit drinking alcohol, left a toxic relationship, began exercising/eating healthy, started my own art business, and enrolled in school to obtain my BSIT. I hope to help the SpaceX mission in any way possible, one day. We must occupy Mars."

Source: https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/04/spacex-inspires-a-hopeful-future/

See Musk said his goal was to run oil out of town and there is no way anyone can say he did not, single-handedly, showthe way. Another fact, all the automakers have switched sides. And now instead of trying to laugh at Musk saying he is going to Mars, NASA is working the first Mars mission and the ULA has vaporware Mars mission vehicles.

The best revenge, is living well. Live well folks!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998