General Motors to stop producing gasoline and diesel cars by 2035 and only sell electric vehicles

RV_

I believe some eyes may have opened about possible energy investments in the next five years. It is enough for me to watch now.

Invest on the rumor, sell on the news. (Or stay long if that seems better than .2% bank interest)

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, RV_ said:

jcussen, coming here to tell about new successes in tech and what is being worked on still informs a lot of folks. I am getting to the point of just asking the naysayers to show me why it won't work. "Because it didn't last time the naysayers tried" is really getting old, as are the naysayers! ;)

Have you seen the new ranges and under 2 second 0-60 times of the new Model S Plaid? Tesla is now the fastest vehicle made, period.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/01/28/tesla-model-s-plaid-quickest-car-ever/

And my fast but not that crazy fast AWD two motor long range Model Y still shocks noobs who have never been in one.  It cost less than a Mercedes big engine SUV by ~ half! mine costs ~51k now!

Agree, was side by side with a new corvette yesterday, he was a little ahead of me when light changed,  But his face was something to see when he looked across at about 90 mph and saw a 4 door sedan right next to him😀  My 3.1 sec 0-60 is pretty fast, so the Plaid at 1.9 sec  is crazy fast.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

And in the "What goes around comes around." category, I read a print article in a doctor's office waiting room last year about a fellow that rebuilt a 1910 Baker Electric sedan. He reused the original lead/zinc battery cases, fitting them with lithium cells repurposed from a salvaged Tesla battery. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I do remember who I saw have one. Jay Leno has a fully stock restored 1909 electric car. His video here is pretty cool what a great car for 1909! If you are not bandwidth limited watch the whole video. I had no idea that NYC had chargers spaced so the electric cabs could charge. Leno is always interesting. But you know what they say: "A person is only as interesting, as he is interested."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Jay+Leno's+elecytric+car&docid=607991155825380751&mid=978412C2ACA47ABA738B978412C2ACA47ABA738B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

0-22 mph in 15 seconds?

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, jcussen said:

Agree, was side by side with a new corvette yesterday, he was a little ahead of me when light changed,  But his face was something to see when he looked across at about 90 mph and saw a 4 door sedan right next to him😀  My 3.1 sec 0-60 is pretty fast, so the Plaid at 1.9 sec  is crazy fast.

Oh man I get that all the time. And it isn't the new vettes or high end cars, but older fast cars. They pull up next to me and do the I want to race you noises with their cars. Now mine is an SUV but when I punch it they usually take the next turn from three car lengths back, guess they don't expect that.. I am amazed at the last update! I got it a couple of days ago and it is a big one. I can't read and drive so I'll check it out in the morning.

I love driving my Tesla in the mountain swoop de doos. I don't push it but the handling is superb and a pleasure to just slow down and take in the scenery. Or speed up and take in the muscle cars.:P

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

58 minutes ago, RV_ said:

I do remember who I saw have one. Jay Leno has a fully stock restored 1909 electric car. His video here is pretty cool what a great car for 1909! If you are not bandwidth limited watch the whole video. I had no idea that NYC had chargers spaced so the electric cabs could charge. Leno is always interesting. But you know what they say: "A person is only as interesting, as he is interested."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Jay+Leno's+elecytric+car&docid=607991155825380751&mid=978412C2ACA47ABA738B978412C2ACA47ABA738B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

0-22 mph in 15 seconds?

Thanks for the link, that was interesting! I recall Baker built some race cars back in the day, but I have no idea of their capabilities. 0-22 mph in 15 seconds, I've owned a couple of ICE powered cars over the years that didn't do much better than that. We timed 0-60 with a calendar... :)

Dutch

2 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We timed 0-60 with a calendar... :)

Timed it with a calendar, thank goodness I didn't have a mouthful of soda or my screen would have been sprayed. :lol:

YW Dutch! If I want some history and to see a completely restored stock anything exotic, fast, or interesting car wise I just google Jay Leno's (name car) If it is really unique or interesting he will have one.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

39 minutes ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

WOW. All good interesting, informative and entertaining comments here.  Reads like a long running tech future  book.  Thanks RV

YW Nam! IT is the long running story of one tech arena I'm interested in and with which interest made myself a lot of money. If you get really really bored head over to the thread here on the forums "Are You Still In?" here:

It was started in 2011 a year after I bought a thousand shares of Tesla.  It is still an active thread and I'll post to it again soon. But it follows our little group here from 2011 to date and you will see the Folks perspective with 2008 great recession PTSD folks still shell shocked from losses then. I was unsure but Tesla was a given for me. I'd been waiting since 2005 for their 2010 IPO. There are some wildly divergent attitudes. They were waiting for another crash any day then, in 2013, after five years of a strong bull market, the usual up cycle historically for a Bull market to run before the bears win again. This Bull market is now 12 years old and I have half in and half liquid in preparation for a crash. IN the last two weeks Tesla has dropped from $880 to ~ $720. No sweating here. I would love for it to drop to $100 and buy another 1000 shares. But for now I stay 50/50. I believe fusion will happen and then if it is the small tokamak fusion reactors that prevail the possibilities are endless. Spread the word about how safe and non polluting fusion is. Next up, Mars, and a colony on the dark side of the moon. Then the stars, however we can do it. Look into hydrogen/photon drives, space sails, and none of which Musk is doing, yet. I agree with him that we are likely to destroy the planet and mankind on it from greed, jealousy, and hate. I'm not going and if it ends next year it will be an interesting time to watch, bad or good.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Bahhh!  Fifty years ago i had a motorcycle that did 0 to 60 in 3 seconds and you couldn't see the Corvette behind me through the 2-stroke smoke!!!

Yup....the times they are a-changing!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Battery technology is always moving forward. It can only speed up, now that the General is on board. Here's some more.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I can't see all evs on the road with current batteries. Too much charging time. Also lithium bad for the environment. Now if we come up with better battery technology.

Of course they will come up with better technology!   That’s a given.  Can you name one case where technology went backwards?  May go off on a tangent, and not every idea will pan out, but innovation and exlploration are part of the human DNA. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Batteries are a tough nut to crack.  Many many years ago I was at Bell Laboratories and they had a team of scientists working on batteries way back then.  There has been a lot of effort on batteries and it continues today.  Batteries are the key to our energy future.  Hopefully it is sooner than later.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Actually I am bias. Oil industry is my paycheck. I hate to see it. But I am close to retirement so I won't be affected. I know of a lot of younger welders and fitters that this will ruin financially. They will never be the demand for our crafts in a world with no gasoline. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Actually I am bias. Oil industry is my paycheck. I hate to see it. But I am close to retirement so I won't be affected. I know of a lot of younger welders and fitters that this will ruin financially. They will never be the demand for our crafts in a world with no gasoline. 

And these are the workers that need to encouraged to expand their talents, plan for the changes coming,  NOW, instead of waiting for the layoffs to come.  Anyone NOT planning on doing continuing education all of their working lives will find themselves left behind.  The pace of change mandates no one can say they are "Done" with education, whether it is on-the job, short term classes for additional certifications, or planning on a new career and moving towards that goal.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Lots of welders and fitters can do nothing else. At least good pay jobs. It is a great money job. 100k+ yearly with no real education needed. It will devasted this industry. I work with these people. Take a 30 year old, deep in debt, several children. Only HS education. Also this is mostly hispanic workers. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Lots of welders and fitters can do nothing else. At least good pay jobs. It is a great money job. 100k+ yearly with no real education needed. It will devaste this industry. I work with these people. Take a 30 year old, deep in debt, several children. Only HS education. Also this is mostly Hispanic workers. 

Just think of what electricity did to the whale oil industry. And the invention of cars did the horse and buggy industry. I am sure there were people saying the same thing you are saying now.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

We not building power plants anymore. Might have to. But they are coal and natural gas. Nuclear not being built anymore. So more oil driven power plants not answer either. We need new technology for this. Now if fusion is the answer I have no idea what a plant would be like. 

Lots of welders and fitters can do nothing else. At least good pay jobs. It is a great money job. 100k+ yearly with no real education needed. It will devasted this industry. I work with these people. Take a 30 year old, deep in debt, several children. Only HS education. Also this is mostly hispanic workers. 

And they have years ahead to plan on those jobs leaving.  I realize that most will stick their head in the sand and refuse to look, watched as the tire industry moved jobs out of Akron and workers kept saying the jobs would come back.   Ice delivery men were out of a job when refrigerators were installed all over the country.   Look at all the reporters for local newspapers loosing their jobs because technology has changed everything.   All organisms adapt or die out.  

54 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

We not building power plants anymore. Might have to. But they are coal and natural gas. Nuclear not being built anymore. So more oil driven power plants not answer either. We need new technology for this. Now if fusion is the answer I have no idea what a plant would be like. 

No coal - the power plants running on coal are being phased out and converted to natural gas.  

Yes, we need training for the jobs of the future, which will require people to THINK about the future and how they will be involved in the changes that are coming.   You are the one is keeps poo-pooing that idea that change is coming.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

"Almost All New US Power Plants Built in 2021 Will Be Carbon-Free"

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/almost-all-new-us-power-plants-in-2021-will-be-carbon-free

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch

But doesn't natural gas come from oil? I helped build several natural gas power plants. Two just in Virginia.

LP (Liquified Petroleum)/propane is an oil refining by-product, but natural gas comes from several sources, including oil deposits:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/natural-gas/

Key word in my post was "Almost...". The chart shows that 16% of the new power generating facilities in 2021 will be natural gas fueled. In northern NY over the past few years, there's been a constantly growing amount of solar and wind facilities being built. Last fall I read that three pumped storage facilities (basically "hydro batteries") were in the design/permitting process to support growing solar and wind generation.

On edit: I should have included natural gas processing as a source for propane along with oil refining.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch