RV Coast 2 Coast 21

My wife an are going to RV coast to coast this Summer. New England to Florida to California up and over.  I would to put together a group\channel with others that are doing the same thing so we can all share where we are and what we are doing and learning as we travel.  No rules, just RV, Coast to Coast (the big trip) and desire to share the journey.  So I'm looking for ideas about how to get others to join in and suggestions on best venue.  Thanks !

We are already in Florida and are leaving for Arizona and at least dip into Cali as far as DVNP. But don't know if we will make it to the coast with the current conditions in Cali. We were headed for Quartzite but the group we were meeting with canceled so I don't know if we will get there. maybe not in time for the show anyway. I think we will take out time crossing.

5 hours ago, jtwilber said:

My wife an are going to RV coast to coast this Summer. New England to Florida to California up and over.  I would to put together a group\channel with others that are doing the same thing so we can all share where we are and what we are doing and learning as we travel.  No rules, just RV, Coast to Coast (the big trip) and desire to share the journey.  So I'm looking for ideas about how to get others to join in and suggestions on best venue.  Thanks !

I wish you luck with forming that group. Most of us pretty much stay north in the summer and south in the winter traveling between the two spring and fall. Is there a reason you plan to do it all in one summer? Knowing that would help us help you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

That's a huge undertaking for just a short time. You're going to miss so much if only doing straight lines and interstates. I hope you're not planning to make reservations for the whole trip.  If something goes wrong it will be hard to stay on schedule.  I really don't think many do a trip like that in only one summer. This site is as good as any to get fellow travelers.  I hope someone is able to do it with you.   Best of luck!

I notice this is posted in the full-time section.  If you're a full-timer, why do this in one summer?  Many full-timers travel slowly and only do a section of the country in one season.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I agree this would be a difficult trip to do in just a summer, but if you just want to see the major sights it could be doable and then you could hit the rest of the US over the next 10 years, if you are embarking on a full time RV life. 

If this a once and done trip, best wishes. There are multiple platforms to document your trip and if there is enough interest, sometimes you can get subscribers, then someone will want to advertise on your page/blog/vlog or whatever. Some seem to make to living by documenting their life. I like to share my thoughts, experiences and such, but have no desire to make it a "JOB". 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

12 hours ago, jtwilber said:

My wife an are going to RV coast to coast this Summer. New England to Florida to California up and over.

You might get better responses if you share a little more information. Do you plan to visit the entire country in one summer, or a year, or....................

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, agesilaus said:

We are already in Florida and are leaving for Arizona and at least dip into Cali as far as DVNP. 

Check before you head to Death Valley.  Currently, the campgrounds are closed, although the park itself is open for day use.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You might get better responses if you share a little more information. Do you plan to visit the entire country in one summer, or a year, or....................

He did say coast to coast this summer....

Full-timed for 16 Years

Hardy epic, more like common to fulltimers. We plan on FL to southern AZ maybe TX until the weather warms up a bit. Then up to Northern AZ and NV. From there it depends on the WuFlu Panic situation. We want to do eastern OR with a dip down into Cali for Lassen Volcanic. Then up thru eastern WA to Northern Cascades. We want to be back in N.FL by late APR for appointments and the wife's grandkid time. And then back on the road by mid May to late November. Maybe up to the Escapade in WY if it actually happens this year. That is theoretically scheduled in mid July.

We did 7600 miles this summer, FL to ID and back across US 2 partway. The year before was FL to ID, 9000 miles, then all the way up US95 in the ID panhandle to Bonner's Ferry then across on US 2 again.

I think that sort of thing is common in the FT community.

Alaska is still the future target if the border ever stabilizes back to normality. And of course with the upcoming junta in DC who knows what they may pull out, national lockdown?

Edited by agesilaus

Many years ago, while still being gainfully employed, we rented a Class C and drove US Hwy 2 from Minnesota to the west coast then back along US Hwy 30 to home again in three weeks. Since were were basically following train tracks of the BN then the UP we didn't feel a need to go much off route or spend a lot of time sightseeing other than railroad towns. What works for each of us depends on what our goals are for each trip. If your goal is check off a bunch of states on your map then what you plan will work well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, jtwilber said:

I suppose posting to a group of mostly Full timers may not get first time travelers for a group. 

These forums are by no means all fulltimers, although most of us do spend more than an occasional weekend in our RVs. I think that most RVers are people who are pretty independent and that my be part of the problem with getting response. Another factor is probably the number of RV related forums and social media connections that already exist. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

These forums are by no means all fulltimers, although most of us do spend more than an occasional weekend in our RVs. I think that most RVers are people who are pretty independent and that my be part of the problem with getting response. Another factor is probably the number of RV related forums and social media connections that already exist. 

The problem with lack of helpful responses may be because this was originally posted in the full-timer's section.  Full-timers don't typically travel such big distances in a short period of time.   

I don't know if it's possible for his post to be moved to a more appropriate section or not.

Full-timed for 16 Years

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Full-timers don't typically travel such big distances in a short period of time. 

That was my reaction to the plan.  A 12,000 mile minimum trip in a summer is way beyond our fun travel threshold.  300 miles and spend a week or two is more our model - about 1200-1500 miles per month.  And even that gets hectic after a month or two.  This year it took us over six weeks to get from Maine to Florida.  The plan is 8 to 10 weeks traveling north. Even if you make summer four months long that coast-to-coast-to-coast is still 3000 per month, minimum

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

On 1/11/2021 at 3:35 PM, agesilaus said:

We plan on FL to southern AZ maybe TX until the weather warms up a bit. Then up to Northern AZ and NV. From there it depends on the WuFlu Panic situation.

Right, there's no panic in AZ.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:35 PM, agesilaus said:

Alaska is still the future target if the border ever stabilizes back to normality. And of course with the upcoming junta in DC who knows what they may pull out, national lockdown?

You forgot to mention the failed beer hall putsch.

OP, in 2019 we did a 5,000 mile West Coast trip over 5.5 months. Like others, we aren't fans of big distances in short times.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

OP, in 2019 we did a 5,000 mile West Coast trip over 5.5 months. Like others, we aren't fans of big distances in short times.

Now that we are FT we aim for 200 miles/day on travel days but might push it up to 300+ when we are transiting. However our hard travel story was the year we had reservations at Yosemite, like having gold bars. We got delayed by car troubles and when we finally got off, pulling a popup, we crossed from N.Florida to Yosemite in 4 1/2 days. In the car by 7AM and drive until 8 pm or so. Made Texas the first day,West Texas the second. Into New Mexico the third, Kingman AZ the forth and Yosemite the following afternoon. Had a good time in Yosemite.

Edited by agesilaus

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 7:38 PM, jtwilber said:

I'll be doing something similar but I'll be up in Oregon in April and start my way across the top of the US over the summer until we end up in Maine in the early fall and then head south again for the winter. 

Having bought my rig in Ohio last week we're currently heading south and then west to be in arizona by the last week of March. I'm picking up my college kid from her grandma and taking her back to college in Oregon.

Honestly I think I'll purposely avoid the south during the summer. Boondocking and a/c don't go hand-in-hand.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:43 PM, agesilaus said:

Now that we are FT we aim for 200 miles/day on travel days but might push it up to 300+ when we are transiting. However our hard travel story was the year we had reservations at Yosemite, like having gold bars. We got delayed by car troubles and when we finally got off, pulling a popup, we crossed from N.Florida to Yosemite in 4 1/2 days. In the car by 7AM and drive until 8 pm or so. Made Texas the first day,West Texas the second. Into New Mexico the third, Kingman AZ the forth and Yosemite the following afternoon. Had a good time in Yosemite.

I really like hearing others do short travel days. I thought maybe it's just because I'm new to this but so far each planned stop is at most a 3hr drive. That way we can leave when it's light and get to the next spot before it's dark and still have time to check out our surroundings while we can still see.

1 hour ago, GeoKat said:

really like hearing others do short travel days.

We rarely travel more than 300 miles in a day.  And we travel more than one day a week or ten days even less frequently. Over the course of the last three years travel has been getting shorter and less frequent.

We also agree with north in summer.  We will be in Maine August - first week in October.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

2-2-2 is the travel regime that Kirk expounded when we first started full-timing and we try to go with that flow.  200 miles a day, stop by 2:00 pm, and stay 2 days.  The last one often gets  set at one for a day or two, followed by 2 or 3 days of down time.   All of our friends came to regard leaving at 10:00 am as "Dave Time".  We stop every 90 minutes or so to change drivers, walk around the rig, stretch our legs, use the bathroom, etc., then hit the road again.   By setting the 2:00 as our time to get off the road, we usually get to pick out a site at our destination and avoid having to try and squeeze into what is left.   Plus, we were the afternoon entertainment enough times when we first started, now we get to sit back, relax, and watch someone else try to act nonchalant as they pull forward for the 8th time.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

47 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

we were the afternoon entertainment enough times when we first started,

Ain't it the truth.  We had 45 minutes of semi-surreptitious entertainment yesterday!

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

One "transit" day I travelled from Escondido departing 08:30 to a secret spot in the Borrego desert. Breakfast at Ramona Cafe, followed by a stop for a nap behind the pie factory at Santa Ysabel.  2 Robinson helicopters landed in the parking lot beside me, stopping in for pie.  Nap over I went for pie too. Next leg all the way to Borrego Springs, stopping on the Montezuma grade twice for the obligatory selfie. Tacos done in town, headed out to camp. Beer cracked, in the shade, by 4pm.  7-1/2hrs for 90 miles.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.