Using truck fuel tank for rv Aquahot supply

Wrknrvr

So we decided to spend the winter in Montana. I installed a Aquahot heating system in the fifthwheel a few years ago. It has worked great. But only have a 13 gallon tank hooked up to it. So it last two to four days until it needs filled again.  I have been looking for another tank to install for more capacity.

So I am thinking of running a fuel line from the truck to to Aquahot and a return line to the truck tank. The Aquahot has a fuel filter on the suctioning line. If I just run a return line back to the truck I think I should not have any issues 

what is your thoughts,    Vern

I was thinking about just getting another cap and put fuel fittings through the cap. Then hook the line up. The Aquahot has its own fuel pump. Just did not want to introduce stuff into the fuel tank. I do have another filter assembly so I could filter the return line also.

Edited by Wrknrvr

Any chance of using an electric pump to transfer fuel from the truck to the trailer tank? Seems less playing around, but there'd still be a fuel mess coming off the pump. The problem with tieing into the truck semi-permantly involves hoses, and forgetting. Drive away, break the hoses, and you're sucking air, and dumping fuel on the ground. The stalled engine would be enough of a pain, but the leak will continue until you run back to get the end of the hose higher than the tank.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Go to a farm auction and buy a fuel transfer pump.  Might even come with a tank for cheap.  New, about $300.  Plumb it in line with a switch and fuse.  Put a cam-lock on the hose so you don't have it taking up space when you don't need it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Well I have been pumping fuel to that tank that is on the rv.  But unfortunately I fell the other day and cannot do that chore for a little while. Right now I am crawling steps to go in or out. Did that yesterday to go visit the doctor . Now sitting on my ass resting and recuperating. It is a timed event to go 17’ to The potty and back to the chair with a walker. Every trip gets faster. New entertainment for me.

So I was thinking about assembling the return line back to the truck. So DW has to do it. I can say she is not happy sorta. with a fuel pumping chore. This will not be a permanent setup.

Just need to do something that is easy to get someone else to do for me. Unless my left hip gets better reaalllyyyy quick.

I have enough fuel in the truck for a month or so. 

Just thinking as I am sorta in a predicament. We can do it. Just want the DW a little happier.

Vern in a T-shirt 

57 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Just going to put hoses in the fill cap opening. Maybe another cap or a rubber cap ro cap off pvc pipe.

I see water contaminated fuel in your future.

Get a transfer pump, like Rickeieio and myself suggested. The boss lady will motivate your recovery, on her own. 

I was thinking you were planning longer term, like permanent, but for short term, I can't think of anything more convenient than what you have right now. Mention to her that it's not moving 30 lb propane tanks around, and keeping them filled.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Vern, my passenger side tank has a small (3" or so) plate which is the where the fuel gauge is mounted on the other side. It is held on by 5 or 6 screws. I drilled and tapped a pickup tube into it for my generator. Right next to it was a 3/8" (?) plug. I removed it and used it for the return. I can take pics tomorrow if you want. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks for your input Big5er. That was my thinking that trucks have generators installed from the factory. 

I was thinking of sitting a 55 gallon drum outside the rv. But if I just had a return line fur the fuel tank that would help for awhile.. Today I will have wife pump fuel again. 

What I am thinking todo tomorrow is set a 5 gallon fuel container next to the tank I have and put in a siphoning hose .

My hip is feeling really good this am. I may try to walk up a step or two today.

I can work from the chair I am in, but I cannot get outside yet. Will find someone to do it I cannot

Thanks all the help,   Vern

Motorhomes all use there fuel tanks for engine and diesel fired heating systems. Since the Aquahot has a filter system in line I think I may try that thought. But the 5 gallon tank idea will be the easiest tomorrow to get accomplished.

I just got up to go to the bathroom. hip is doing much better. I have not taken a Advil yet, will in about 10 minutes. So with two of those I will try the step test today.

Thanks again,    Vern

Thanks for that idea.. That’s the basic idea I am thinking of. In the current situation I need to do something as the DW is slightly not happy with my stuuuuppiiddy.

So I made down the steps and out to recliner. Every time I move things hurt less and give more motion to the hip.

Vern in a T-shirt 

It would have been much better to install these before stupidity kicked in.

image.jpeg.308a90167ea621e01a333516993ed5cf.jpeg

These are call yak tracks for anti skid on your shoes.

will find at least one pair tomorrow. Maybe one for the wife.

ok ok I let my guard down and am paying for it.

Vern in a T-shirt 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:37 PM, Wrknrvr said:

It would have been much better to install these before stupidity kicked in.

image.jpeg.308a90167ea621e01a333516993ed5cf.jpeg

These are call yak tracks for anti skid on your shoes.

will find at least one pair tomorrow. Maybe one for the wife.

ok ok I let my guard down and am paying for it.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Wirecutter reviews

"Icetrekkers" = #1 choice (also marketed as Yaktrax) -  looks like a good choice!

#2  = Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra" (not really crampons) - tougher terrain.

#3= Hillsound FreeSteps 6" - rugged city conditions & backcountry.

Hope your hip (& "SWMBO" relations continue to improve!!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Mom's old ones were YakTrax, and they're still mostly holding up. This year we got her a style that has a simple elastic loop over the arch of the foot

A pad with carbide tips can be rotated around the foot to either activate or deactivate the traction aid. The YakTrax need to be fully removed to walk on ceramic tiles, which takes her 2 hands, thus forcing her to sit down. She can roll the new ones with 1 hand, so can hold the door frame or wall to do it.

Please e-mail us here.

For a update on my episode, things sure look good. But they do not feel 100 percent yet. I can go up and down steps now. Just not fast yet. One could even say slowwwww. Going to trade the walker in for crutches today.  That should help when outside. Today is going to be fun, I hope.

Tomorrow at 10:00 am I will get a shot in each eye for macular degeneration, then while half blind and sore will then make a stop at doctors office for a checkup on my stupidity fall.

I am so slow my wife cut my hair as I could not move that fast.

Have a good day,   Vern in a r

To get back to the topic- many engines with a return line use a "day tank" . This works if it is not a "bypass" system like Detroits had, & you only need a suction line from truck to sealed tank. It will pull only what it needs. 

On a "old trucker story"- I ran team for an outfit out of Minnesota for a while. They had a HUGE reefer tank, like 150 gals. We were expected to stop halfway to the east coast and HAND pump the fuel to the truck.  Wonder why we had to do that? 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

20 hours ago, ARGO said:

On a "old trucker story"- I ran team for an outfit out of Minnesota for a while. They had a HUGE reefer tank, like 150 gals. We were expected to stop halfway to the east coast and HAND pump the fuel to the truck.  Wonder why we had to do that? 

No road tax on reefer fuel. Off road use.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

18 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Hopefully this was before the Dye. Once you put dyed fuel in the tank it causes issues for a long time I have heard. 

My thought on the matter is they had a good supplier at each end of the runs for fuel and the hand pump ensured there was at least one stop on the long run. The company surely paid the road tax on all fuel. 

Simply my opinion though. No facts expressed or suggested. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

25 minutes ago, lappir said:

Hopefully this was before the Dye. Once you put dyed fuel in the tank it causes issues for a long time I have heard. 

My thought on the matter is they had a good supplier at each end of the runs for fuel and the hand pump ensured there was at least one stop on the long run. The company surely paid the road tax on all fuel. 

Simply my opinion though. No facts expressed or suggested. 

Rod

Issues from dyed fuel? That's a new one for me. What kind of issues would dye cause? Inquiring minds.... Jay

Issues?  only from the tax collector.  Dye is added to diesel that is used for offroad purposes.  Tractors and other industrial engines.  Pretty much anything that doesn't drive on the road.  It is tax exempt so much cheaper.  The dye leaves a red stain on components of the engine that can easily be seen by the tax man.  Pretty big fines if caught using offroad diesel in a truck.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

33 minutes ago, folivier said:

Issues?  only from the tax collector.  Dye is added to diesel that is used for offroad purposes.  Tractors and other industrial engines.  Pretty much anything that doesn't drive on the road.  It is tax exempt so much cheaper.  The dye leaves a red stain on components of the engine that can easily be seen by the tax man.  Pretty big fines if caught using offroad diesel in a truck.

Oh, okay. I get that. I thought you meant engine problems or something. I guess it never occurred to me that someone would be foolish enough to try dyed fuel when the downside is so steep. Plus, that's from decades ago. I remember when when some dealers were getting busted for selling untaxed fuel for road use, but again, that was before dyed fuel. Jay

6 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Yeah, that was before they got smart & dyed the fuel. Thinking back, I could have saved a lot of labor just running the return line to the truck's tank, had V12 Detroits. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Reefer fuel is not dyed. You fill your truck tank then shut off the pump and pull forward some. Then you get back on the little speaker and tell the fuel desk you are now getting reefer fuel. It all comes out of the same pump. If those of you that have diesel generators had separate tanks you could do the same. Just fill your truck tank. Then tell them the second fill is for off road use.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:53 AM, Jaydrvr said:

Issues from dyed fuel? That's a new one for me. What kind of issues would dye cause? Inquiring minds.... Jay

No mechanical, but lot's of legal if you get caught on the road with a licensed vehicle burning tax free diesel. They tell me it takes a long time for the dye to no longer be traceable. No personal experience though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.