Using truck fuel tank for rv Aquahot supply

Wrknrvr

So sitting here thinking about my fuel line situation and have a question. Since I installed the Aquahot unit 3 years ago it has been hooked up to a 8 gallon tank with clamped  fittings. 

My first question is could I use quick disconnect fittings to hoop up my lines to the truck fuel tank. I am going to make a set of copper fuel lines to actually go into the fuel tank and could put a threaded fitting on the copper tubing to attach a coupler on. it Second question is what kind should I use. Just plain air line quick disconnect or hydraulic ones. Now the flow is very minimal on a Aquahot. 

I did add a second tank on the slide out propane tray. Today I am going to fill it and try to use a siphoning hose between the tanks to double my time before needed to fill them.

My hip joint is really doing good. But with the pain from falling I have injured ligaments trying to protect the hip joint. Was at the doctors on Wednesday,  so will go again to the docs on this Wednesday.

Thanks ,   Vern in a T-shirt 

25 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

So sitting here thinking about my fuel line situation and have a question. Since I installed the Aquahot unit 3 years ago it has been hooked up to a 8 gallon tank with clamped  fittings. 

My first question is could I use quick disconnect fittings to hoop up my lines to the truck fuel tank. I am going to make a set of copper fuel lines to actually go into the fuel tank and could put a threaded fitting on the copper tubing to attach a coupler on. it Second question is what kind should I use. Just plain air line quick disconnect or hydraulic ones. Now the flow is very minimal on a Aquahot. 

I did add a second tank on the slide out propane tray. Today I am going to fill it and try to use a siphoning hose between the tanks to double my time before needed to fill them.

My hip joint is really doing good. But with the pain from falling I have injured ligaments trying to protect the hip joint. Was at the doctors on Wednesday,  so will go again to the docs on this Wednesday.

Thanks ,   Vern in a T-shirt 

Portable boat tanks have been using quick disconnects for a long time. Those might work for you. Jay

Agree with Jay. Air fittings would leave a hose full of fuel with nothing to keep it in on one end. Hydraulic fittings would be second choice.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Duh.  Why didn't I think of this before.  Get a couple 55 gal drums.  Make a cradle so you can strap them to the deck of the truck, on their sides, safely.  Place then so the small bung is down.  Screw in the fitting of your choice with a valve and enough hose to reach your coach tank.  Drive to the fuel supplier and fill drum with off-road fuel.  Gravity feed coach. Savings in fuel taxes will pay for the drums and associated hardware.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was looking for a 55 gallon drum. Just never found a good clean one to use. I am not worried about cost of fuel now as in red dyed fuel.

Then I slipped on the ice. So what I myself can do right now is physically limited. Normally I just do stuff like this all the time. The fuel tank I am using now was a old propane tank that I removed the top fitting and washed the inside out. Let it dry in the sun for a few days. Then filled it with water and welded a close nipple in the top side of the tank. Added a vent line and it works really good .Just sitting in Montana,with a sore leg caught me off guard.

Now I do have two factory propane furnaces in the Teton. I also enclosed the underbelly and installed a propane furnace to heat the underbelly. I may get a 100 gallon propane bottle delivered in the beginning of the week. But the Aquahot heats much more evenly as it heats the whole floor by heating between the bottom enclosure and the actual floor itself.

I am hoping I can drive the truck later next week. If so I will go get the tanks filled. I have enough fuel probably till end of February. But it could get snowed in at any time. Then when I get back I will hook up the fuel lines one way or other

just one of those stuuupppiid things I have done has me sitting and thinking to much. We thought we would hide from covid in Montana. And that did not happen either. I am resting the leg so it will heal faster. The other day I walked to a shop to do some bench work. My leg felt it .

So just hanging out,    Vern in a T-shirt 

Vern if you used a electric diesel pump with boat tank fittings you could just flip a switch for a few minutes each day and your trailer tank would stay full. No need for a return line that way. I think they make a valve with a float in it for use with a bed mounted tank that is gravity feed this would stop you from over filling your small tank. If you used a pressure switch it would even turn off the pump. A 2 wire flat plug between the truck and the camper and you could put the switch in the camper or atleast next to the tank if you wanted to watch it.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a small pump from the truck to the tank. Just set timer on phone and do other things while it is pumping.  Also have cut two 4” holes at the top and at the bottom of the back of the enclosure to gain heat from under the fifthwheel in my hobbit house. The enclosure is attached to the rear styrofoam wall.

I set up a little sit down work bench for tying flys and working on other stuff. Most of the time it is t shirt weather in the hobbit house.

Stay warn and be Safe ,    Vern

So I just took a temperature check on top of the tank. 26 degrees so while building the enclosure I did wrap the bottom of the tank with a commercial heat tap. Will test temperature tomorrow am. If it is below 20.   I may plug the heat tape in. It has only been inclosed for 24 hours so no data to compare it to.

Edited by Wrknrvr