Best route from California to Oregon to avoid chains

Veronica Monet

I am a first time RVer and looking to be as safe and sane as possible. My trip begins in Grass Valley, CA and my destination is Tigard, Oregon. I want to avoid any risk of ice or snow. And Thanksgiving is notorious for both at the Siskiyou pass. So I am thinking of bypassing it entirely. What routes do others prefer?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the only alternative is to go up the coastal route on 101.  I would follow the weather reports closely and try to time your trip to avoid snow and ice.  If you travel I-5 or Hwy. 97 you are at risk.  Have made those trips for years and closely follow the weather report, ODOT and Cal Trans reports.  You have to be flexible with your travels.   I always carried chains anyway with winter certified tires.  

While I agree with the suggestion of duraduk, be aware that if you go over to Eureka and then up 101 you will have more travel over roads that have steep grades with many curves than you would taking I-5 and it will be about 100 miles longer trip. The least challenging choice would be via I-5, in my opinion, having traveled all 3 routes more than once. Just pay attention to the weather and sit still if roads get bad to wait for them to clear, It never takes more than a few days and that is one of the reasons to travel in an RV. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You can also call 511 to get road conditions over the pass.  We did that several years ago traveling in the other direction when circumstances meant we couldn't leave home until December.  We called 511 the morning we were going to go over the pass and found, fortunately, that is was clear and dry.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

While I agree with the suggestion of duraduk, be aware that if you go over to Eureka and then up 101 you will have more travel over roads that have steep grades with many curves than you would taking I-5 and it will be about 100 miles longer trip. The least challenging choice would be via I-5, in my opinion, having traveled all 3 routes more than once. Just pay attention to the weather and sit still if roads get bad to wait for them to clear, It never takes more than a few days and that is one of the reasons to travel in an RV. 

NOTHING on 101 is close to the 50+ miles of grades up and down with Siskiyous Pass Complex of passes.  Siskiyous itself is the highest pass on I-5 and for a first time RVer can be daunting.  Taking CA20 over is the easiest way to get to 101.  Curves, yes, but as someone who grew up going up and down the 101 in the '50s, "curves, you don't know nutting about curves". 😉.  Just take is slow and easy.  Head up the 101 and north of Lincoln, OR take OR18 on to Taggart.   Would be nice if the OP had included a time frame.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We ..... Dolly momma and un-stable-stable-boy were both born in Oregon and still own way too much Oregon Real Estate in Almost every region of the state.....

For the most part we have found the best route is climb to FL 380 (38,000 ft) and set the cruise control at 450 mph depending on headwinds we get there in not much more time it takes to nibble our sack lunch....of course we will burn a bit of fuel but not for too long (about 75 minutes).....

Now travel that route at ground level is a real crap shoot in the winter.....we unfortunately have tried EVERY road North and have yet to find a route Noth in the winter that is a sure thing.....

Even in bad weather the turbine airplane is a far better choice......and in REALLY bad weather the airplane is a even better choice (just turn around  and have lunch in Tucson......

Good luck if you decide to go North and please let us know if you find a good road because in 60 years we have not found a good route...

Drive on...... sometimes the best winter route North is......South ....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

16 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

NOTHING on 101 is close to the 50+ miles of grades up and down with Siskiyous Pass Complex of passes.  Siskiyous itself is the highest pass on I-5 and for a first time RVer can be daunting.  Taking CA20 over is the easiest way to get to 101.  Curves, yes, but as someone who grew up going up and down the 101 in the '50s, "curves, you don't know nutting about curves". 😉.  Just take is slow and easy.  Head up the 101 and north of Lincoln, OR take OR18 on to Taggart.   Would be nice if the OP had included a time frame.  

For s few years I ran a enterprise where I had several offices that spanked the entire Oregon coast...

At first glance highway 101 seems like a no-brainer.......THINK AGAIN.....

Almost EVERY day for several years my day involved a round trip from Waldport to Lincoln City and it could be a REAL adventure MANY days...... some days it was nearly life ending.....one VERY windy foggy horizontal FREEZING rain day I was pushing a bit too FAST (25 mph) just coming down the sheet ice grade at Cape Fowlweather and OH CRAP......NO Highway 101....Zip..... GONE.... ENTIRE highway just slid right down the cliff right into the Crashing 50 foot breakers of the Pacific....

I slid way too CLOSE to the edge and then backed up and spent a couple hours in the fog trying to STOP traffic until they closed 101 .....the cell coverage was not good so often times you on your own and sometimes folks have to turn around and go get help in person......

Trust me I know WAY too much about Highway 101 winter driving......

Drive on....... sometimes Winter RV trips are better on .......Zoom

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

To echo what Kirk said, just build in a few extra travel days JIC the weather goes sour, until the CHP gives the all clear. Keep in mind the chain laws of CA; if I remember correctly you must carry them even though you never use them during those months, choosing to wait out poor road conditions instead..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Keep in mind the chain laws of CA; if I remember correctly you must carry them even though you never use them during those months, choosing to wait out poor road conditions instead..

About a dozen years ago we went to Les Schwab and bought chains before heading into Oregon in November because they had a policy that we got back south we could return the unused chains for a full refund. You might want to see if that's still an option.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

NOTHING on 101 is close to the 50+ miles of grades up and down with Siskiyous Pass Complex of passes.  Siskiyous itself is the highest pass on I-5 and for a first time RVer can be daunting.

And 101 can't be?  No, the grades are not nearly as long but the road is far more crooked and it isn't remotely like driving on an interstate. I guess your opinion and mine will just have to remain different. 

47 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

And 101 can't be?  No, the grades are not nearly as long but the road is far more crooked and it isn't remotely like driving on an interstate. I guess your opinion and mine will just have to remain different. 

Kirk, when was the last time you went up Highway 101?   Yes, there are some short stretches that are 5-7% grades, 2-3 miles long.  I could find 4 of these that are enough to give an alert.  But NOTHING like the Siskiyous.  No runaway ramps on the way down that you have (2 of them on the Oregon side) coming down from the top of the pass into Ashland, over 7 miles.   For a new RVer (and we don't know what type of rig she has, trying that in the winter is not easy.   Personally I won't do any northward travel in the winter as a new RVer, but that is just me.  Of course I wouldn't do it now after 17 years with our rig which I know very, very well.  But again, that's us.  Hugh number of RVers take the 101 every year, especially after Christmas coming south.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I absolutely would NOT recommend an inexperienced driver take an RV up the Oregon coast on US-101.   

Granted that on US-101 the grades are not real steep, but the curves going up and down those grades are somewhat sharp and the road, while normal US highway width feels narrow.  Sometimes you are literally between a rock wall and the traffic on the other side of center line while going around the curve.  Especially when a large truck is coming at you. 

Besides, it is not like the Siskiyous Pass has snow and ice on it every day.   Just use the suggestions given earlier to check the weather and don't go if there is ice and snow.  

As far as driving down the pass, just limit your speed to 45mph or slower.  At the top, down shift from 5th or 6th gear to 3rd or 4th and stay off the brakes.  If you are in 3rd or 4th and your rig is quickly running up past 45mph, press your brakes hard to slow down to about 40mph and down shift another gear. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The OP asked for alternatives and Highway 101 is not that hard as all of you are making it out to be unless you are insisting on doing 80 mph!   Unfortunately the OP didn’t tell us the size of the rig, how ‘new’ she is and the specific time frame.  I’m assuming Christmas and family she feels she must’ve go to see.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Hey there! I sure appreciate all the wisdom and experience shared in this forum! Thank you SO much. I have never operated an RV before. Just a couple of 4WDs and a van so this is going to be a new adventure.  The RV I rented is just under 25 feet long. It's a 2018 Thor Motor Coach 23H

I am traveling from Grass Valley, CA to Seattle, WA beginning November 24th. 

Hope that helps?

Don't settle on a route until the day before when you can pretty much count on the weather report.  If it's nice go up I-5; if not, take 20 over to 101.  Same for your return.  With a 25' RV you'll have no issue on 101.  Just plan extra time if you've never driven a RV.  You will not.... or shouldn't .... be driving the speed that you drive with a car.  Take it easy and you'll enjoy the trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Also plan for shorter days and, perhaps, more frequent breaks in the RV than you would in a car. They really are more tiring to drive. We drove our 24' Winnebago View on 101 southbound in early December when we finished that trip to Eugene, Oregon. We had no particularly scary moments.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Have you driven either of the routes before? It would help to know a bit more about your experience level. I have been over both 101 and I-5 in a 36' motorhome several times as well as by Honda CR-V. Weather reports and highway reports are quite reliable and if you have any time constraints in your rental or if you pay extra for mileage you would benefit by taking I-5 unless the weather is bad. If you have the time and as long as weather is cooperative, you might even want go one route and return via the other. 

Veronica, if you plan on being there for Thanksgiving, start at least a day earlier.  If weather is clear up I-5.  If not, CA 20 over to the 101.  Steady wins the day, don't worry about others speeding past you.  Also, when big trucks go by you will feel pushed to the right, take a firm hold of the steering wheel and keep the rig in the center of the lane.   You will soon learn to anticipate that and using your mirrors to see trucks coming up you can get yourself set.    You will find yourself needing breaks during the day, take them and make sure you are off the road before dusk.  

For going down passes,  shift down at least one gear at the top and USE THE BRAKES sparingly.  When you do apply them, apply firmly, bring speed down 15-20 mph and then GET YOUR FOOT OFF until the speed returns to level that you applied brakes before.  On I-5, you will have 7 miles of downhill into Ashland, OR and it you can get going very, very fast if not careful.  Riding the brakes will burn them out.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The 2018 Thor 23H that Veronica is renting is built on a Ford E350 or E450 chassis with the V-10 engine. It will have the tow/haul mode that is extremely effective in controlling downhill descents, assuming that it is used, and used correctly.  Hopefully she will get some instruction when she rents it.

There will be no need to manually shift down gears as this is well-handled by this proven system. Have your speed controlled at the top of the decent, and let the vehicle do its thing. Don't be surprised to see/hear the engine spinning at 4000 or 5000 rpm to control the speed coming down. It is normal and expected. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I can't recall her name right now but another newbie was doing a maiden voyage from the midwest to California and everyone guided her during the trip.  She did just fine.  There were many posts on her trip.  She also had the tow/haul mode on her small motorhome.  Perhaps someone can come up with her recent posts during the trip as this might help Veronica with hers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel