Best route from California to Oregon to avoid chains

Veronica Monet

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do that......I like Hwy 97 to Klamath Falls, but you don't want to do it in winter.

Siskiyou Pass is fine, unless it is snow covered. 

Hwy 101 is fine.  There are a few spots where you will slow down.  Enjoy them.  Hwy 199 will take you to Grants Pass.  That is a fine highway.

Remember drive just as fast enough that you are comfortable.  If that is real slow, just pull over to let people pass. 

Get this web site on your tablet or computer and let the person riding shotgun man it on your trip.

https://oss.weathershare.org/?clat=40.5&clng=-114&zoom=5#.X6xdWRaIbIU

Enjoy your trip...it will be MUCH easier than you think!

Oh....your in a RV....So leave early, even earlier than you think and spend the days and nights in the RV.  They are fun to camp and explore new areas.  If your thinking about making time to Seattle....drive a car or fly.

Otherwise, enjoy your trip in a RV.   You will get the hang of it quicker than you think.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

One more thought: if you decide to take 101 only one way, decide in advance if you want that to be south closer to the ocean for scenic views or north where you'll be further away from the edge if heights bother you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 11/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, sandsys said:

About a dozen years ago we went to Les Schwab and bought chains before heading into Oregon in November because they had a policy that we got back south we could return the unused chains for a full refund. You might want to see if that's still an option.

Linda Sand

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

You are planning on leaving on Tuesday 11/24, so I assume you plan on being in Seattle by the next evening, Wednesday 11/25 so you will be there before Thanksgiving day.  

Keep in mind that driving a RV is not as easy as driving a car/truck/van.  It typically takes longer and is more tiring. 

At 734 miles going straight up I-5 that is not a really too bad a drive in an RV with a stop overnight along the way.  Google Maps shows a drive of about 12 hours.  

Going over to US-101 via CA-20 and then back to I-5 on US-199 from Crescent City, CA to Grants Pass, OR is 875 miles.  Google Maps show a drive of a little less than 16 hours hours.  

Going over to US-101 via CA-20 and then back to I-5 on on OR-38 from Reedsport to I-5 is 903 miles and about 16.5 hours.  

I believe the above times are driving times at the speed limit and don't take into account stops along the way. 

In my opinion and experience, driving on all interstate, including stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks it is really pushing it to average more than 55 miles per hour for a full days travel.

Going up US-101 and then on US-199 to Grants Pass, you will probably average 45 mph and maybe as slow as 40 mph for the drive from Grass Valley to Grants Pass.

If you continue up US-101 in Oregon you will most likely average less than 45 mph and maybe even less than 40 mph for the time in Oregon. 

There is always the possibility of traffic and road construction problems as well.  If you hit the Portland area in rush hour traffic before 9am or after 3pm you may be stuck in traffic for quite a while.  Also the drive on Wednesday will be slower because of the holiday traffic. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

53 minutes ago, Al F said:

You are planning on leaving on Tuesday 11/24, so I assume you plan on being in Seattle by the next evening, Wednesday 11/25 so you will be there before Thanksgiving day.  

Keep in mind that driving a RV is not as easy as driving a car/truck/van.  It typically takes longer and is more tiring. 

At 734 miles going straight up I-5 that is not a really too bad a drive in an RV with a stop overnight along the way.  Google Maps shows a drive of about 12 hours.  

Going over to US-101 via CA-20 and then back to I-5 on US-199 from Crescent City, CA to Grants Pass, OR is 875 miles.  Google Maps show a drive of a little less than 16 hours hours.  

Going over to US-101 via CA-20 and then back to I-5 on on OR-38 from Reedsport to I-5 is 903 miles and about 16.5 hours.  

I believe the above times are driving times at the speed limit and don't take into account stops along the way. 

In my opinion and experience, driving on all interstate, including stops for fuel, food and bathroom breaks it is really pushing it to average more than 55 miles per hour for a full days travel.

Going up US-101 and then on US-199 to Grants Pass, you will probably average 45 mph and maybe as slow as 40 mph for the drive from Grass Valley to Grants Pass.

If you continue up US-101 in Oregon you will most likely average less than 45 mph and maybe even less than 40 mph for the time in Oregon. 

There is always the possibility of traffic and road construction problems as well.  If you hit the Portland area in rush hour traffic before 9am or after 3pm you may be stuck in traffic for quite a while.  Also the drive on Wednesday will be slower because of the holiday traffic. 

Veronica, take the time to read this very carefully as his information is almost exactly what my experience has been. I prefer the 101 route because it is far more scenic but it also takes a long time as compared to I-5. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We drove 101 with our dually and 40' 5er, 300 miles was a long day.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Veronica, don't do anything that's unsafe.  At least try to drive 50 mph; not 45.  Wait for a good, solid wide pull-off or a business.  Yes, some behind you may get irritated but they won't have to wait long, I'm sure.  Some will understand.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 hours ago, Veronica Monet said:

So if I am driving 45 to 50 mph in a 65 mph zone, and the road has only one lane for each direction of traffic, what is the safest way to allow others to pass? I am worried about pulling over onto the shoulder. Advice?

IF the road has a 65 mph speed limit and the road is straight and fairly level, there should not be a reason to drive that slow.  On good roads I'll drive at about 60mph.  I seldom drive at 65 or higher.  Of course I am not trying to cover 500 mile in a day, unless it is all on interstates for the full day.  I try to avoid that unless there is a very good reason for us to make that many miles in a day.  

In Oregon and probably CA you won't find any 65mph speed limits on 101.  The max will be 55.  Lots of the time the curves and many towns will have you at 45 or slower.

The thrust of the "average speed for a days travel" is not that you will drive slow when the speed limit is 65.   It is that the roads, curves, up and down hills, speed limits in towns and stop lights will limit your daily average for the day at much slower than you would think.

Going up steeper climbs and especially down a long steep highway, you drive at the speed the RV drives well and you are comfortable with.  You don't worry about the people behind you.  You DO drive in the right hand lane on a multi lane hwy and when a passing lane comes up, you stay to the right.   

Going down a steep highway, you slow way down at the top, maybe 40 mph, turn on the tow haul mode and let the engine braking keep your speed down so you don't keep your foot on the brake peddle.  If the tow/haul doesn't keep your speed down, you slow down and manually down shift so your speed doesn't increase quickly or preferably increase at all.   NOTE: This works just as well in a car or truck to gear down to keep your speed down and your foot off of the brake peddle.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

37 minutes ago, Al F said:

Going down a steep highway, you slow way down at the top, maybe 40 mph, turn on the tow haul mode and let the engine braking keep your speed down so you don't keep your foot on the brake peddle.  If the tow/haul doesn't keep your speed down, you slow down and manually down shift so your speed doesn't increase quickly or preferably increase at all.

The tow/haul mode isn't something that needs to be turned off and on.  I would recommend driving with it "on" all of the time, especially in hilly terrain.  It will help a great deal with descents, and you won't have the issue with needing to remember to turn it on before a descent. 

If the tow/haul mode is allowing the speed to creep up, a short, firm application of the brake will signal an additional downshift without having to do any manual gear selection. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Washington State Governor just announced  travel restrictions, California has nearly the same restrictions.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

53 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Washington State Governor just announced  travel restrictions, California has nearly the same restrictions.

Maybe that is why they are renting a RV to go to Washington.  To be able to quarantine while they are there. 

It is remotely possible they won't totally stay away from others  🙂, but it sure makes it easier to be socially distant if you have your own place to be at night or part of the day. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Thank you for alerting me to this. I am visiting my cousin in Seattle. She is dying from cancer and will probably be dead in another few weeks. So it's my last chance to see her and she is literally living for my visit and that of her sister who arrives via a commercial flight on the 21st. I chose to risk the weather and road conditions instead because I don't trust the airports during the pandemic. I just got a COVID test yesterday even though I feel perfectly healthy. And I will not be eating in any restaurants or using any restrooms. Hence the RV. So those who guessed that I am using an RV to quarantine myself are spot on! I have been very close to my cousin for most of our lives so seeing her before she dies is very important to both of us. That said, I realize it is a huge luxury because she is not dying from COVID. So many have not been able to be with their loved ones when they died alone in a hospital from COVID. My heart grieves for their agony. I can't even imagine. I won't be eating with my cousin even though she would like that. But my partner is susceptible to lung infections so I can't risk it. And once I return, I will be getting another COVID test and then quarantining myself for two weeks before he and I can be in the same house. Sigh. Quite the times we are living in. Please stay safe everyone and thank you for your love and support.

On 11/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, Kirk W said:

Veronica, take the time to read this very carefully as his information is almost exactly what my experience has been. I prefer the 101 route because it is far more scenic but it also takes a long time as compared to I-5. 

Thank you for this! I am thinking of driving to Sacramento to connect with I5 and then going to Redding where I will drive west to Crescent City and then east to Grants Pass to connect with I5 again. Even if the weather on the Siskiyou Pass is good, I intend to do this because those 7 miles downhill at the pass scare me in a car. LOL  Comments and critiques welcome ya all!  I am learning SO much from all of you, even when you disagree. Bless you and stay safe!

56 minutes ago, Veronica Monet said:

Thank you for this! I am thinking of driving to Sacramento to connect with I5 and then going to Redding where I will drive west to Crescent City and then east to Grants Pass to connect with I5 again. Even if the weather on the Siskiyou Pass is good, I intend to do this because those 7 miles downhill at the pass scare me in a car. LOL  Comments and critiques welcome ya all!  I am learning SO much from all of you, even when you disagree. Bless you and stay safe!

Sounds like from Redding you plan to drive Hwy 299 to  Hwy 101.  This drive is much worse - 7% & 8% grades & many curves - rather than 6% Siskiyou Pass.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel