Best route from California to Oregon to avoid chains

Veronica Monet

9 hours ago, Veronica Monet said:

What about Red Bluff, CA to Eureka, CA?  That is CA Highway 36

I get my mountain drive information from the 'Mountain Directory West for RVers and Truckers' before driving new-to-us roads.  This is the first sentence for the description of Hwy 36 "This road was designed by mad scientists to see if they could make drivers go insane".  Also, "This road should be near the bottom of the list".

Take Hwy 20 inistead.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Veronica Monet said:

Thank you for this! I am thinking of driving to Sacramento to connect with I5 and then going to Redding where I will drive west to Crescent City and then east to Grants Pass to connect with I5 again. Even if the weather on the Siskiyou Pass is good, I intend to do this because those 7 miles downhill at the pass scare me in a car. LOL  Comments and critiques welcome ya all!  I am learning SO much from all of you, even when you disagree. Bless you and stay safe!

Best of Luck!

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

57 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I get my mountain drive information from the 'Mountain Directory West for RVers and Truckers' before driving new-to-us roads.  This is the first sentence for the description of Hwy 36 "This road was designed by mad scientists to see if they could make drivers go insane".  Also, "This road should be near the bottom of the list".

Take Hwy 20 inistead.

Yep. I get that 20 is best. It will make for a shorter trip too. 

On 11/15/2020 at 2:12 AM, Veronica Monet said:

What about Red Bluff, CA to Eureka, CA?  That is CA Highway 36

No, 36 is narrow and no fun at all.  It gets down to one and a half lanes, with no center line   There are no services for much of the route.  

CA 20 is the best route between I-5 and US101, the exit is at Williams CA.  There are some grades between Williams and Clear Lake, but the elevation is under 3000 feet.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

You also need to be aware that further restrictions go into effect starting at 11:59pm on 11-16-2020.  One of which BANS any inside gatherings.  Once again all restaurants will be restricted to Take Out Only and other businesses are restricted to 25% occupancy.  Sadly the main reason for this is the Seattle Area.  There are many areas in the state that could still be in phase 3 where they have been for quite a while. 

Joe

How horrible! I have taken this road (Highway 36) off my list of options. And thanks Joe for the heads up about inside gatherings. As it happens my partner is high risk so I am super careful. I do not eat out. My only exposure is going to the organic coop for our food. I always wear a mask and wash my hands. The reason for the RV is so I don't have to eat out or use public restrooms. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, dons118 said:

I just drove I5 today from Eugene,OR to Corning,CA. The entire route was completely dry. The sun was shining and it was a pleasant drive.

I would assume that the drive north would be the same as I had

My cousin died before I headed North to see her. We said our goodbyes over the telephone. I was bereft so I took my RV to Death Valley. Somehow that destination felt fitting. The drive was easy since I chose dry roads with little traffic. And Death Valley was both gorgeous and devoid of life. No grass, bushes or trees. No birds except for crows. As I drove back home, I started to see life again. First sagebrush and cactus. Then cattle grazing on grass. Then trees and birds and deer . . . it was a perfect trip for both grieving the loss of a loved one and emerging to celebrate the beauty of being alive. Thank you for all the encouragement and expert input. You were right about the engine on my particular RV. When going down a steep grade, the engine shifted into low gear of its own accord. I am now hooked.. It's RVs all the way!  Happy Holidays everybody and remember to tell the people you love, that you love them. You never know how long they will be with you. 

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

So sorry for your loss.  And so glad you found an excellent way to take time to grieve, to find solace and to cherish your memories and recharge your 'batteries'.  

Barb said it better than I could so I'll just add an X2.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Well, I guess I'll chime in on this.  4 years ago, 5 Jan I headed out from Victoria to wind my way down to Florida. That day I-5 was frozen, closed with several accidents.  So I headed over to the Coast road.  Weather wasn't too bad, above freezing, maybe some rain.

Linda Sand made reference to driving a shorter day, I'd agree with that.  Days are shorter.  I'd be inclined to drive between 10 am and 4 pm before it gets dark.  There are very few white lines to use a  visual reference, no roadside lighting and there are climbing and descending curves.  Add to that as you climb in altitude, temps drop, roughly 3.5 f or 2 c per 1000 ft.  So what at sea level is rain, may change to sleet, freezing rain or snow as you climb.  Now you don't know if the road is wet or icy.  Add to that up and down curves, no white lines or lights. 

When living in Calgary, we would generally wait for 3 days after a weather event for the roads to clear.  The main roads in Canada and the US get the most attention due to being used for Commerce.  But they still may require chains and there is no room on my rig for chains unless I go to snow socks or Jotto drop down chains and new winter tires, 2k$ ish.

Give lots of space between you and the vehicle in front, at least 7 seconds, more if needed and don't take on the mindset that has killed a lot of pilots that, ' I have to get home'.  Use your superior intellect to keep you out of situations where you have to use your superior skills....Another flying saying. 

On 12/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, fpmtngal said:

Losing a loved one is always hard, whether it is expected or not. At least you had the ability to say goodbye, even if it were only on the phone. I’m glad you found a good place and way to grieve, there’s something I find renewing every time I go to Death Valley.

Death Valley is magical. I don't quite get it but it was the perfect way to grieve and come back home grateful for life!