Prescription refills while on the road

Hello everyone. My wife and I have been on the road full time since June of 2019. It's been quite and experience. Many disappointments because of the virus and many bright spots. New friends and great nature views.

The time has come to renew prescriptions. I have the VA and Medicare but my wife is 10 years younger. She only has major medical with a high deductible. Her prescription required seeing a doctor. Because we do not have a "permanent" residential address in the states we are traveling through it became apparent that she would probably have to fly back to Minnesota (from Seattle Wa.) for a few days to see her old doctor to get refills. (There's $700 with air, car rental etc!) Researching online I discovered PlushCare. $99 consultation fee. We are not affiliated with them by any means but this worked out GREAT! She called and gave the person on the phone her information and the meds she was looking for. They needed to know which state we were in for a doctor referral in that state. They then scheduled a phone/computer online interview for about 4 hours later. 4 hours 10 minutes later the doctor called. She gave him a brief explanation what was going on (full time RV's on the road and refill of depression meds that she's taken for 30 years) and in less than 5 minutes he OK'd the refill. They normally will refill for 30 days at a time requiring another call but because we are travelling he allowed refills for 150 days! I cannot say enough about how well and professional this was taken care of. They notified Walmart near us for the refill. There was a miscommunication on the document from the doctor so my wife emailed PlushCare again, they responded and it was resolved the next day!!

PlushCare is nation wide and worked out spectacular for us living on the road full time.

Safe travels my friends!!   

As you travel around, I’d suggest finding a place you’d like to return to every year, near family or something else, and establish a relationship with a physician.  Stop once a year, get prodded and poked, then on you go with new scripts for the year.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

47 minutes ago, MrMopar said:

Hello everyone. My wife and I have been on the road full time since June of 2019. It's been quite and experience. Many disappointments because of the virus and many bright spots. New friends and great nature views.

The time has come to renew prescriptions. I have the VA and Medicare but my wife is 10 years younger. She only has major medical with a high deductible. Her prescription required seeing a doctor. Because we do not have a "permanent" residential address in the states we are traveling through it became apparent that she would probably have to fly back to Minnesota (from Seattle Wa.) for a few days to see her old doctor to get refills. (There's $700 with air, car rental etc!) Researching online I discovered PlushCare. $99 consultation fee. We are not affiliated with them by any means but this worked out GREAT! She called and gave the person on the phone her information and the meds she was looking for. They needed to know which state we were in for a doctor referral in that state. They then scheduled a phone/computer online interview for about 4 hours later. 4 hours 10 minutes later the doctor called. She gave him a brief explanation what was going on (full time RV's on the road and refill of depression meds that she's taken for 30 years) and in less than 5 minutes he OK'd the refill. They normally will refill for 30 days at a time requiring another call but because we are travelling he allowed refills for 150 days! I cannot say enough about how well and professional this was taken care of. They notified Walmart near us for the refill. There was a miscommunication on the document from the doctor so my wife emailed PlushCare again, they responded and it was resolved the next day!!

PlushCare is nation wide and worked out spectacular for us living on the road full time.

Safe travels my friends!!   

Thank you for the information.  It is good to know of the options that are available to us while on the road. Many here are strong proponents of having a "fixed base" physician but this sounds like an attractive alternative for many.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Welcome to the Escapees forums! We really enjoy seeing new members join us so do return and contribute often. Thanks for posting the information as it was new to me and it could help a lot of people here. Like BarbOK, we prefer to have a continuing relationship with a doctor for our ongoing medications, because of possible need for changes or changes in our medical condition. I am really surprised that they renewed the medications without a visit or lab work. I'm particularly surprised by the depression medication as we have found it to be one of the more sensitive medications for renewal. If you aren't aware of it, you can get about anything in Mexico if get down near the border. 

3 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Is this an ad? Real Rvers don't write this well.

I don't know why you made such a remark, but I assure you that the SKP number is valid and I appreciate the new information. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I can't find any reference on the website as to whether PlushCare takes Medicare.  Here's the only statement about insurance that I see:

PlushCare accepts the copays of most Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, Cigna & UnitedHealthcare plans.

FWIW, my first reaction was also that it was an advertisement.  It's just too smooth.  JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Here is the website:   https://plushcare.com/our-doctors/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LS_PlushCare&gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMYedr9wzgTjF4ONNKHBubCZxKPYmZoxImPgd5Nlm3pCAQPHFTxQTnRoCxaIQAvD_BwE

If you look at the web site there are pics and stats about their doctors.  Here is one of them:

https://www.caredash.com/doctors/allison-lovell-hjfnd

Sounds like a good option to keep in mind.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

It is an interesting website and while it is new to me, they have been in practice since 2014. I visited the home page of Plush Care and find it very interesting. I don't believe that I am quite ready to go totally online for medical services yet, but it is interesting. 

I still have several questions that I wasn't able to find answers for.

Do they look at previous medical records like an in-person doctor usually does? 

What about lab tests for continuing conditions or annual physicals?

Do they refer patients to another doctor for surgeries and such? If so, do they find you a doctor to go to? 

Edited by Kirk W

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Sounds like a good option to keep in mind.

But if they don't accept Medicate many of us would be better going to an ER or an Urgent Care Center that does.  

The initial premise of this thread, that the wife would have to go "home" to see a doctors is fallacious IMO.    We've gone to ER's and Urgent Care facilities while on the road.  CVS and other chains have "Minute Clinic" or equivalent in lots of locations.  I can't imagine needing to fly home to one's personal doctor to get a refill.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My wife and I have had no problems just calling our regular doctors when we need prescriptions renewed. We just have them call or send it to a CVS near us. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I still have several questions that I wasn't able to find answers for.

Do they look at previous medical records like an in-person doctor usually does? 

What about lab tests for continuing conditions or annual physicals?

Do they refer patients to another doctor for surgeries and such? If so, do they find you a doctor to go to? 

I don't know about PlushCare but my medical records are online and I have access to some of them. My doctor has also ordered labs for me to have done wherever I am on future dates. My doctor will give me names of other doctors but I am not restricted to using them. And, since the corona virus became ubiquitous, she does video or phone visits. But, I still chose to go in person for my annual physical.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, docj said:

But if they don't accept Medicate many of us would be better going to an ER or an Urgent Care Center that does.  

The initial premise of this thread, that the wife would have to go "home" to see a doctors is fallacious IMO.    We've gone to ER's and Urgent Care facilities while on the road.  CVS and other chains have "Minute Clinic" or equivalent in lots of locations.  I can't imagine needing to fly home to one's personal doctor to get a refill.

The wife isn't on Medicare.  This program would be good for those not on Medicare.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

13 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

My wife and I have had no problems just calling our regular doctors when we need prescriptions renewed. We just have them call or send it to a CVS near us. 

Most won't renew for another year without having seen you - or at least do a televisit and having labs done.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Most won't renew for another year without having seen you - or at least do a televisit and having labs done.    

We just had a conversation with Laura's PCP about this when we contacted her this week (via the practice's secure messaging system) about a minor issue. We normally do our annual visits in the January/February time frame. When we told the PCP we hoped to see her then, her response was (paraphrasing), "If it works out and is safe for you to travel. If not, we can do an e-visit." All of our providers have been extremely accommodating since we hit the road - and even more so since the onset of the pandemic. Now, if we could just figure out a way to do an e-visit for a dental cleaning and check-up...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

17 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

Now, if we could just figure out a way to do an e-visit for a dental cleaning and check-up...

If we had dentures, like grandparents used to have, we could just mail them in!

Just as this pandemic has changed the way that many companies are doing business (elimination of face-to-face meetings, online training, far less travel, etc.) I suspect that medicine will change as well. 

When conducting routine medical visits, it is convenient for both doctors and patients to do them online. I have had zero issues getting lab work done all over the country.  Just carry in the lab orders that my Dr. sends me, and have them report the results back to the doctor.  It all is well, that's it.  A savings of one (pre-labs) and sometimes two (post-labs) office visits.

My insurance company is allowing, and even advocating telemedicine as an option to conventional PCP's and office visits.  While I think we all realize that certain conditions and exams require a "hands on" approach, I am a fan of not having to drive to the doctors office and sit in a waiting room for something so routine that it takes only a few minutes and no particular exam. 

I'm with Rob. Sure would be nice if we could telemedicine the Dentist!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We do see our doctors at least annually, so that's not an issue.

Dutch

On 8/12/2020 at 2:45 PM, Barbaraok said:

As you travel around, I’d suggest finding a place you’d like to return to every year, near family or something else, and establish a relationship with a physician.  Stop once a year, get prodded and poked, then on you go with new scripts for the year.  

Have to agree.  I've tried having prescriptions transferred between both chain & small local drug stores, and have found it is far easier & faster to call your home doctor's office & have them send a prescription to a drug store near your current location.  Usually only takes a day, sometimes a couple of hours or even while you wait.  While transfers between pharmacies in the same chain are usually fast & easy, not every chain pharmacy is in every location.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

11 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Good thing to keep in mind. CVS is in a lot of places but certainly not all.  Last time I was in Deming the closest one was over 60 miles away at Las Cruces.

If you favor CVS for your prescriptions, keep in mind the Target in-store pharmacies are now part of the CVS chain as well.

Dutch