Question for the tool junkies

SuiteSuccess

My good friend GeorgiaHybrid would steer me to SnapOn but I need a good tap and die set in SAE and Metric that will hold up and not break the bank.  I use it probably 6-8 times per year and my Chinese junk is breaking.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have a Snap-on but it is not cheap.  Have not broke any taps like I have the cheap stuff.  I use mine 4-5 times a year now, used to use it alot when I worked as a mechanic.

If I remember right, I paid ~$600 for mine, that was a good 15 yrs back.  No idea what mine would run now.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

The small sets that the tool trucks sell are Hanson.    They are OK in a pinch, as mentioned Greenfield or GTD are a good old main line brand.     If you want "good" taps get HSS not carbon.    There are several good tap and die makers R&N, Butterfield, Union etc.     Finding a good set from a US maker is going to be much higher than a hardware store set or a Snap-On truck.

I buy sets of taper, plug and, bottoming taps in the sizes I use,  McMaster has GTD sets for reasonable rates, buy the sizes you use often to start.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

X 2 what Steve said.  I have a couple old sets of Greenfield that Dad bought used back in the '70s.  I've never broken one, yet.

If you just want to "chase" threads to clean them up, cut notches in the appropriate size bolt or nut and use it to clean up slightly buggered threads. A good three sided file is your friend.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thank you folks.  For occasional use like mine what about Gearwrench or Irwin?  Or would I just be buying junk again?

This is an Irwin-Hanson:

https://www.zoro.com/irwin-hanson-drilltapdie-set-117pc-hss-26377/i/G1391634/feature-product?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvIDC97vo6gIVg7LICh3xNQzvEAQYASABEgLMSPD_BwE

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I doubt you'd happy with the quality, or lack of same.  I use Irwin for some things, because my local hardware store carries it.  But drill bits and tap/die sets are not a place to save money.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

21 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I doubt you'd happy with the quality, or lack of same.  I use Irwin for some things, because my local hardware store carries it.  But drill bits and tap/die sets are not a place to save money.

Got it.  So while we’re on it what drill bits do you buy?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

From a old Snap on dealer get the Snap on set.  $268.00 for NC NF and machine screw sizes.  Cheep sets will cause move grief that $268.00  $464.00 for standard and metric set.

Snap on DB129 $269.00  drill bit set

Edited by DJohns

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Lawson makes great drill bits.  Finding a dealer can be difficult.   Don't let anyone else use them, especially your kids.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

ANY made in the usa set will be better than the junk that is out there. Snap-on tap and die sets and their second tier taps and dies (Bluepoint) are made in the USA and are guaranteed for life. If you are rough on tools. They are a good option.

As Steve noted, Butterfield and Union are good ones as well and made here in the USA.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Make sure you get HSS (High Speed Steel) taps/dies if you plan to use them with steel, especially harder alloys. I would not recommend Carbon Steel taps, they will not hold up as well. Many of the automotive tap/die sets I've come across are Carbon. Also, McMaster Carr (recommended above) sells good quality taps which will likely be much cheaper than SnapOn. From a value perspective, you'll probably get better pricing from McMaster Carr or other machine tool type shops than you would automotive shops.

39 minutes ago, RoamingRanger said:

Make sure you get HSS (High Speed Steel) taps/dies if you plan to use them with steel, especially harder alloys. I would not recommend Carbon Steel taps, they will not hold up as well. Many of the automotive tap/die sets I've come across are Carbon. Also, McMaster Carr (recommended above) sells good quality taps which will likely be much cheaper than SnapOn. From a value perspective, you'll probably get better pricing from McMaster Carr or other machine tool type shops than you would automotive shops.

Dumb question but I’ve never used a tap on anything but steel.  What else would you tap besides maybe HDPE?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

When I was building boats, we used taps and dies from McMaster Carr.  A decent high carbon steel tap worked well for us in steel, aluminum, some brass, and of course FIBERGLASS.  Fiberglass will dull a tap quick.  But when taping and embedded 3/4 steel plate mount covered with 1/2 of glass, we could kill a 1/2" tap in 16-20 holes.  https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-taps-sets

Edited by Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

15 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl,

Aluminum gets tapped a LOT. Never mind brass, cast iron, some copper connections and titanium for the exotic guys.

David,

It was a dumb question.  I should have said I knew about tapping metals (not just steel).  I was wondering other materials.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I have two different sets that are at least 30 years old.  One is an ACE (Hardware) and the other is Craftsman.  Actually, they are probably closer to 45 years old now that I think of it.  They still work great and none have ever broken.  Undoubtedly the set you would buy today under those names would be made cheaper than they were "way back when".  While it is not pleasant to think or talk about, "old timers" who may own decades old quality sets are passing away every day.  When we were in Florida last winter Bob and I got into the habit of visiting every estate sale we could find.  We were able to add to our tool collections at really good prices and quality not readily available today.  You must be able to tell the difference in age and quality though.  Anyway, tools do not have to be new to be good.  Look around........you may find the best quality tap and die set or other hand tools that have been loved and taken care of that have been left behind that the heirs have no use for or clue what they are.  You just can't get mine - my sons already have their bid in.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On 7/27/2020 at 11:37 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Dumb question but I’ve never used a tap on anything but steel.  What else would you tap besides maybe HDPE?

In an RV setting? Likely aluminum and various plastics (polycarbonate, ABS, delrin, etc.). Maybe brass, bronze, cast iron.

Also, keep in mind all steels are not created equal- standard mild steels such as A36 would be no problem with a Carbon Steel tap although the tap will get dull quicker but I doubt you'd have much luck tapping other harder steels (ie truck frame rails) with the same tap. HSS taps are better suited for these applications. For even harder steels (above ~40 Rc),  carbide taps are generally best but they're much more brittle (and expensive) so using them as a hand tool as opposed to using them in a machine tool can be risky.

Was looking around my dad’s tools I carried home after he passed.  At the bottom was a drill bit set with some missing but all labeled HSS bits.  Tried one and it cut through 3/8” flat bar like butter.  Pleasant surprise.  Now to get the Drill Doctor out cause some looked a bit chewed up.

Randy, to your point, I have some of my dad’s old power tools.  Drills and one huge grinder.  They’re all the old metal casings with two prong plugs so don’t feel comfortable using them.  They are mostly Ingersol Rand I believe.  Built like brick s**thouses.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3