HDT with a Jeep?

Tylerak

Hello RV community, 

I have been full timing in a 40’ 5th wheel for about 4 years with my girlfriend and a dog (now 2). We recently acquired a couple 1981 Honda CT 110 trail bikes. I have been pulling it with a 1997 12v Cummins Dually and I’m selling it this week. I’m interested in buying a semi with a sleeper keeping the tandem axles and loading a Jeep in the back. It will just be a 2 door short wheel base. Is this configuration a pain or not? I know most choose single axle and smart car but I enjoy going off-road so it really wouldn’t work. I see some build a ramp on the bed to keep the Jeep at an angle what benefits are there to this? Thank you for any responses and I hope to learn a lot throughout this process. 

We don't have a Jeep but we carry a Subaru.  We have a short 42" sleeper and we carry the car at an angle with the front of the car up high enough we load a small RZR across the deck under it.  Carring a Jeep at an angle shortens the space needed and length can get long when carrying a car length wise.  Many HDT's set up to carry a car length wise  can exceed 30 to 40 feet.  Shorter is better.  Do to weight most HDT's carrying a Jeep need to stay tandem and the frames need to be lengthened.   Our is tandem and carrying our Subaru fits our needs.  Frame extension should be approached with caution to keep axle weights within acceptable limits.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

39 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

We don't have a Jeep but we carry a Subaru.  We have a short 42" sleeper and we carry the car at an angle with the front of the car up high enough we load a small RZR across the deck under it.  Carring a Jeep at an angle shortens the space needed and length can get long when carrying a car length wise.  Many HDT's set up to carry a car length wise  can exceed 30 to 40 feet.  Shorter is better.  Do to weight most HDT's carrying a Jeep need to stay tandem and the frames need to be lengthened.   Our is tandem and carrying our Subaru fits our needs.  Frame extension should be approached with caution to keep axle weights within acceptable limits.

I am trying to go as short as possible just trying to figure out how to go about it. I’m not opposed to anything. I would really prefer a large sleeper so that makes it tricky. Thanks for your reply. 

Contact Jack Mayer at RVH Lifestyles in Parsons Kansas, actually Dennis Kansas, he can answer all of your questions. I spent two hours in his office a couple of weeks ago, I went back to Pittsburg Kansas to see my patents and family. I called Jack up and asked him if he had time to talk, then I drove over to See him. I can't say enough good things about this guy, if you want to do it with your HDT he will give you great advice and has the shop to do it in. You can look him up on line.

Later Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher 

26 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Contact Jack Mayer at RVH Lifestyles in Parsons Kansas, actually Dennis Kansas, he can answer all of your questions. I spent two hours in his office a couple of weeks ago, I went back to Pittsburg Kansas to see my patents and family. I called Jack up and asked him if he had time to talk, then I drove over to See him. I can't say enough good things about this guy, if you want to do it with your HDT he will give you great advice and has the shop to do it in. You can look him up on line.

Later Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher 

Thank you I’ll give him a call. I’ve been watching all the YouTube videos and reading the RVH website trying to figure out what will work for me. It’s exciting but a little overwhelming. 

17 minutes ago, Tylerak said:

Thank you I’ll give him a call. I’ve been watching all the YouTube videos and reading the RVH website trying to figure out what will work for me. It’s exciting but a little overwhelming. 

I agree I am 48 years old and bought my volvo 3 years ago. I am still in the process of getting it ready to take on a big trip. There is a lot to do. I tried to work on it myself and found I just did not have the right tools. So I am paying a diesel shop in Vegas to do it. Yes it is overwhelming, I agree. Honestly my 2 hours with Jack helped to get a game plan in place, after you talk to him you will feel confident. Also if it can go wrong or will go wrong believe me it has happened to me so if you are having one of those days send me a PM anytime. I am a high school biology teacher here in vegas, but I will answer you as soon as I have time.

Later, Vegas Teacher  - Cory Ossana 

13 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I agree I am 48 years old and bought my volvo 3 years ago. I am still in the process of getting it ready to take on a big trip. There is a lot to do. I tried to work on it myself and found I just did not have the right tools. So I am paying a diesel shop in Vegas to do it. Yes it is overwhelming, I agree. Honestly my 2 hours with Jack helped to get a game plan in place, after you talk to him you will feel confident. Also if it can go wrong or will go wrong believe me it has happened to me so if you are having one of those days send me a PM anytime. I am a high school biology teacher here in vegas, but I will answer you as soon as I have time.

Later, Vegas Teacher  - Cory Ossana 

Thank you for your time I called RVH lifestyle and he told me everything I was curious about. Price breakdown, exactly what it involves, why they choose Volvo, and it looks like you don’t save a lot with the ramp. You basically are gonna have to stretch the frame regardless of 2dr or 4dr and it takes deep pockets. Along this journey we’ll see how it goes. I’ll let you know how things turn out. 

Come to the National HDT rally in October in Hutchinson, Kansas.  There will be lots to look at and talk to folks about what worked, and didn't.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

28 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Come to the National HDT rally in October in Hutchinson, Kansas.  There will be lots to look at and talk to folks about what worked, and didn't.

I’m currently in Washington and I’ll be in Alaska hunting in October. I would love to make it to one that would definitely make it a lot easier. 

1.   I did not stretch the frame.

2.    With the Jeep tilted there is room foe a generator plus there. I carry oxygen/acetylene torch bottles ,argon bottle, two gas cans, 25 gallon gas tank for the generator, 2’x2x2’’ aluminum storage box, several buckets with stuff ,one with 100’ number 10 wire gauge extension cord, some times a extra cheap generator there also.

And a 26” wide tool box from a roll around box.  Plus more stufffff.

So there is more room than u think with the Jeep tilted.

There is 16” full width storage with three doors under the rear of the bed.

Anyone that has seen my truck knows there lots of room for stuff.

But ya know I have been wrong before.   Vern

I used to double tow a Jeep behind my 5th wheel.  I have a short wheelbase truck and I prefer it that way.  Double towing is not for everyone, but it is a lot simpler and cheaper than trying to load a Jeep on the back of a truck.  I can answer any questions about it if you have any.  Not every state allows double towing, but many do.  If you end up some where where it is not allowed, or you need to shorten your overall length for access, just have your significant other drive the Jeep in that area.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

need 60 inches from rear most part of the jeep to the center of the pin. FB group has many discussions/pics.

Happy to help. Just reconfigured mine for a JL from it being originally built for 2 door TJ/Ford Escape.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

7 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I used to double tow a Jeep behind my 5th wheel.  I have a short wheelbase truck and I prefer it that way.  Double towing is not for everyone, but it is a lot simpler and cheaper than trying to load a Jeep on the back of a truck.  I can answer any questions about it if you have any.  Not every state allows double towing, but many do.  If you end up some where where it is not allowed, or you need to shorten your overall length for access, just have your significant other drive the Jeep in that area.

Chad I have often wondered if I would be better off double towing my Smart. I could really shorten up my truck if I did. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Chad I have often wondered if I would be better off double towing my Smart. I could really shorten up my truck if I did. 

It really comes down to personal preference.  I prefer a short wheelbase truck for the maneuverability it affords.  My truck is basically the same footprint as a dually pick up (give or take).  It will fit in a regular parking space if need be and can be used as a daily driver also.  When I had the Jeep, it was great to double tow it when I wanted another vehicle to sight see or run around in.  Now that I sold the Jeep (to pay for the RZR which I also double tow), I miss it.  When I retire and start to travel more extensively I will most likely end up with another Jeep to double tow and a toy hauler to put the RZR in. 

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I am not a jeep person. Right now with work I don't have a lot of choices with where I stay. A 30' truck takes up a lot of room. Barely fits in overflow parking. But DW has her suv also. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

That could work out I will have to think about that. Do you know off the top of your head if Canada allows double towing? I plan on heading up in the spring that would be nice to tow the Jeep the full distance. 

3 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

need 60 inches from rear most part of the jeep to the center of the pin. FB group has many discussions/pics.

Happy to help. Just reconfigured mine for a JL from it being originally built for 2 door TJ/Ford Escape.

Thank you I’ve been wondering what’s the number I’m shooting for. What Facebook group are you a part of that has these build pictures? Thank you