HDT with a Jeep?

Tylerak

11 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I am not a jeep person. Right now with work I don't have a lot of choices with where I stay. A 30' truck takes up a lot of room. Barely fits in overflow parking. But DW has her suv also. 

I’m not a Jeep person either but I definitely am not a smart car person so I’m willing to make the leap. That’s my biggest concern with a long truck and if we intend to stay somewhere long term we’ll have the hdt, a Jeep, and the girlfriends car most places have a 2 vehicle maximum and either charge for extras, put you in overflow, or you’d have to arrange offsite storage. When we are just traveling it’ll be the hdt and Jeep so we would be within the two vehicle limit but length could be an issue in some parks as far as fitting in the site. Almost every park we’ve been to has had a good size overflow so I think it would be ok. 

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

If traveling or in vacation mode should not be an issuse. You don't need to be a spot x nunber of miles from job. 

That’s semi true haha I actually am a Union electrician so wherever a job is at I travel there and work for a couple months then move. So sometimes travel mode is also work mode. 

Tyler

38 minutes ago, Tylerak said:

That’s semi true haha I actually am a Union electrician so wherever a job is at I travel there and work for a couple months then move. So sometimes travel mode is also work mode. 

Tyler

Yes, my work dictates my area. I get turned down at most parks. But so far have found a place.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

27 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, my work dictates my area. I get turned down at most parks. But so far have found a place.

Well I don’t like the sound of that. I might need to rethink this then. What state are you in? Do you work in cities mostly? 

1 hour ago, Tylerak said:

Well I don’t like the sound of that. I might need to rethink this then. What state are you in? Do you work in cities mostly? 

Mostly on the gulfcoast, Texas,  Louisana. Oil refineires

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 hours ago, Tylerak said:

That could work out I will have to think about that. Do you know off the top of your head if Canada allows double towing? I plan on heading up in the spring that would be nice to tow the Jeep the full distance. 

BC, no. Alberta, yes, with length restrictions and trailer type restrictions. Sask., same as AB. Manitoba and East is beyond my experience.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Mostly on the gulfcoast, Texas,  Louisana. Oil refineires

Remind me to stay away from the gulf coast haha I’ll call around see what percentage say they will take one. I might consider double towing that way I could shorten the rig and drive the vehicle if need be. 

35 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

BC, no. Alberta, yes, with length restrictions and trailer type restrictions. Sask., same as AB. Manitoba and East is beyond my experience.

I definitely will be driving up to Alaska so we will just have to drive the tow vehicle occasionally. 

45 minutes ago, Tylerak said:

I definitely will be driving up to Alaska so we will just have to drive the tow vehicle occasionally. 

In that case, YT follows Alberta's lead. Only the BC section of the AlCan will (possibly) need separation. I say possibly, because the LEO's in that area have their hands full with too few of them for the area they cover to worry about double towing too much. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

16 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Might you be willing to elaborate at "I get turned down at most parks"? I have not had this experience.

When we call ahead to make reservations, we state we have a big truck, mention it is the size of a UPS truck.

This has worked every where we have tried it, this method was suggested by someone on this forum(thanks to whomever this was).

We had one Buffoon in Georgia mention that we should have let them know it was a "Semi" truck as they would have told us no, due to weight. They did let us stay.  My friend had his 42 foot motorhome, that by itself weighs more than my truck,trailer and toad combined.  Funny they did not say anything about his weight?

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 7/21/2020 at 10:17 PM, Tylerak said:

Did you stretch the frame? What’s your overall length? Could you hook a 5th up to it?

The body extends about 5 feet beyond the frame. Overall length of the truck is about 30 ft, this is a short nose Volvo.  You would need a longer deck to pull a 5th, there wouldn’t be enough length to turn with what I have.

3 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Might you be willing to elaborate at "I get turned down at most parks"? I have not had this experience.

When we call ahead to make reservations, we state we have a big truck, mention it is the size of a UPS truck.

This has worked every where we have tried it, this method was suggested by someone on this forum(thanks to whomever this was).

We had one Buffoon in Georgia mention that we should have let them know it was a "Semi" truck as they would have told us no, due to weight. They did let us stay.  My friend had his 42 foot motorhome, that by itself weighs more than my truck,trailer and toad combined.  Funny they did not say anything about his weight?

Michael

Yes we get turned down a lot. A 70' pad with no overflow parking we not fitting. That is most of parks.

On 7/22/2020 at 9:47 AM, Tylerak said:

Thank you I’ve been wondering what’s the number I’m shooting for. What Facebook group are you a part of that has these build pictures? Thank you 

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=hdt%20-%20heavy%20duty%20trucks%20for%20rving

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Yes we get turned down a lot. A 70' pad with no overflow parking we not fitting. That is most of parks.

only turned down twice, they hadn't updated their website to Class A's only. The only other time was rig over 5 years old were not allowed. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

You miss my ponit. Yes you can always find a park. But who wants to drive 100 miles back and forth to work each day. That's my delima and believe OP is still working. You will not find a park in Port Arthur area. You could in Beaumont but that a fifty mile drive to work each day. I have had to stay in parks netiher of us like just to have a decent daily commute. Life was much simpler with the pickup but I do not consider that safe.

Prior to Covid I liked staying at Flying J / Pilot or Love's Truck stops. I always went in to talk to the store manager and they never has a problem with it. One time I was at the Flying J / Pilot in Hysperia California and ate at the Outpost Cafe every night for a week, while I did Schutzhund training in the L.A. area.

For those of you who are wondering what Schutzhund training is, it is a competition style training of Dogs in the German Style which has three parts, Tracking, Obedience and Protection. Then you go to trials and compete against other dogs and trainer teams. It is a blast.

Vegas Teacher -  Cory Ossana

One other option you might consider is to do a Toyhauler that can handle a jeep or other type of similar vehicle. Our Dune Sport 5th wheel can handle our smart, our SUV (shown in the picture) or our full size van in the separate garage area. This would help keep your HDT shorter.

aUtbp9ql.jpg

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.