Fuel Nozzle Conversion for Diesel

Friz

We have guests here with their Class C RV. Nice unit but......the fuel nozzle is the small one found at the auto-diesel pumps. They cannot use the truck lanes with the larger nozzle. This came out in a conversation about TSD Logistics. The program would be of no use to them as they cannot use the truck lanes. So we talked about a conversion or adapter. Anyone have any experience or insight into the feasibility?

Thanks, Friz

In our experience when we had a diesel pickup truck, the truck stops almost always had a regular auto diesel sized nozzle at their truck lanes.  It came in handy when we were pulling our fifth wheel rather than trying to enter and exit at the auto pumps.  The auto diesel sized nozzles were usually on an outside pump.  If it's not obvious, go inside and ask if they have such a nozzle and where it's located.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

8 minutes ago, LindaH said:

In our experience when we had a diesel pickup truck, the truck stops almost always had a regular auto diesel sized nozzle at their truck lanes.  It came in handy when we were pulling our fifth wheel rather than trying to enter and exit at the auto pumps.  The auto diesel sized nozzles were usually on an outside pump.  If it's not obvious, go inside and ask if they have such a nozzle and where it's located.

Well that is a well kept secret. Never crossed my mind nor had anyone mentioned it to me. Assumed they were all the large nozzles catering just to professional drivers and their big rigs.  

Edited by Friz

5 minutes ago, Friz said:

Well that is a well kept secret. Never crossed my mind nor had anyone mentioned it to me. Assumed they were all the large nozzles catering just to professional drivers and their big rigs.  

The outside lane, where the auto sized diesel nozzles are usually located makes sense since most big rigs fill from both sides so they need to be on an inside lane where there is a pump on both sides.  Might as well use that outside pump for something!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Yes Linda is correct.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

3 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I think those are called "funnels"... Just kidding, but would that actually work? Some are pretty long and flexible. Jay

Right up there with drinking Clorox / Lysol for Covid.

Would be great for a.....Diesel bath !!

Then.....back into your driver's seat to get out of lanes  - Yikes !!

The VW / Audi adapter:  Rube Goldberg is alive and well.  If there isn't a car/pickup "normal" diesel pump for your VW or Audi, the driver better be ready for LOTS of "ear burning" negativity and derision from the truckers in line.

☹️

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Gads!

11 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Right up there with drinking Clorox / Lysol for Covid.

Would be great for a.....Diesel bath !!

Then.....back into your driver's seat to get out of lanes  - Yikes !!

☹️

Obviously, if you used a funnel and have a brain, you would have to proceed slowly and cautiously.. But the larger picture here is the level of viciousness and rancor in a personal attack, which is likely why so many potential members and contributors are gone in five minutes. Not everyone has skin that thick. I should know better than to post to this crowd. Mea culpa. Jay

The fast flow of a large nozzle would likely overfill a standard-sized tank rather quickly. In my diesel vans I was taught to look for the pump at the end of the row. Linda H's explanation of why that pump makes sense to me.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

Well Linda et al, looks like you are spot on. I called the Loves in Hawthorne FL where I have been fueling with the TSD card for the last several months. Sure enough they have a small nozzle pump at the far end of the truck lanes.  Wonders never cease!

Edited by Friz

3 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Obviously, if you used a funnel and have a brain, you would have to proceed slowly and cautiously.. But the larger picture here is the level of viciousness and rancor in a personal attack, which is likely why so many potential members and contributors are gone in five minutes. Not everyone has skin that thick. I should know better than to post to this crowd. Mea culpa. Jay

I get the impression Pappy Y thinks his post was clever. Unfortunately Pappy Y, it reads as sarcastic. Him and others may not be versed in the rudimentary art of controlling variable pump flow rates.  I for one am and  so therefore I believe the funnel idea has merit. 

Edited by Friz

While use of a funnel may be possible, in actual use it would impractical.  The auto shut-off would be constantly tripping and one would quickly decide saving a dollar or three, may not be worth it. 

While Pappy may have been a little grumpy, I think he's right.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When filling my Dmax dually,  I could use a HDT fuel nozzle only if I feathered the flow to as slow as possible and the auto nozzle on full-flow. I always suspected the problem with using the large nozzle was the fuel tank vent being too small to exhaust air as fast as the tank was filled.

Our MH presents a problem because the fill makes a 90° turn 4" from the fuel cap, splash-back triggers the over-fill backup device in the nozzles. I can only use the HDT nozzle if I hold it upsidedown and pointed towards the tank.I finally timed filling with HDT vs auto nozzle, to pump ~75G took ~3 minutes longer with the auto nozzle. Not enough time to sneeze at IMO, so now I find the auto nozzle and avoid having to stand and hold the large nozzle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We do not normally use the big truck pumps but do on occasion . Strange that we have not had a problem at the big truck pumps with flow although they do fill very fast.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

22 hours ago, Friz said:

I get the impression Pappy Y thinks his post was clever. Unfortunately Pappy Y, it reads as sarcastic. Him and others may not be versed in the rudimentary art of controlling variable pump flow rates.  I for one am and  so therefore I believe the funnel idea has merit. 

Sarcastic = YES.

BTW - more power to ya on the meritorious funnel !!

So, yes, we have found the pumps next to the building have the smaller nozzle. However, my F-350 will handle the larger, fast delivery nozzle quite well. Frankly, I like the high volume delivery,  it gets me in and out faster. I do take care to make sure the "auto shutoff" actually works. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 5/25/2020 at 4:00 PM, Friz said:

It does not. Note the sticker on any truck stop fuel pump. “Accurate at a flow of 30-60 gallons per minute”. Show me a funnel that can handle 30-60 gallons per minute.  

11 hours ago, noteven said:

My irrelevant Dodge can be filled at full flow with the Big Twuck nozzle. But listen for the first little gurgle and slow down...

Ya, when I had a '96 Dodge CTD I  got a bath the first time I used the large nozzle, not pleasant. A lesson I never forgot. I think it filled my tank in less than 2 minutes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 5/27/2020 at 10:52 AM, Ray,IN said:

Ya, when I had a '96 Dodge CTD I  got a bath the first time I used the large nozzle, not pleasant. A lesson I never forgot. I think it filled my tank in less than 2 minutes.

A bath ?? - You're not being sarcastic, are you?

BTW - I know you're not.  Even a SMALL amount of diesel to "wear" is an unforgettable event.  You WILL -for sure- need the Clorox......."watered down" externally rather than internally, as well as in whatever (laundry tub, washer) you have available for your clothes.   Also, if you use -a public laundromat for your diesel soaked duds  - you will encounter LOTS of sarcastic comments!

Depending on amount - better to simply toss 'em, and chalk it off to "lesson learned".

A funnel has NO, NONE, ZERO -  merit at or for high flow diesel pumps !!

Edited by Pappy Yokum