Honda EU2200i Generator Options?

aztex

Hi,

if you're unawares Honda has places a stop sale on this model generator due to what I understand to be circuit boards tin/zinc whiskers due to environmentally friendly lead free solder. No recall yet as rep I spoke with said they are trying to determine which circuit boards are affected.

Hopefully solved soon but is there a good option for a quiet rugged generator that holds its value? Some like the Harbor Freight Predator series but I'm not a fan of most of HF's products.

Thanks!

I too looked at the Onan/Cummins P2500i at Q. I found the box they come in and this is what was printed on the box. Engineered and designed by Cummins/Onan in Indianapolis, IN. Manufactured in China. Then somebody fired it up, sounded louder than a Honda. As we walked on somebody put a load on it, then it was louder. Never heard a Honda that noisy but I didn't have my DB meter with me. I was hoping that when Cummins got together with Onan the gennys would get better, but personally haven't seen improvement. They have had a terrible time trying to get into the "light portable genny" market to start with. If I didn't want to spend the bucks for the Honda, I'd be at Harbor Freight.

17 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Seems like everyone's forgetting Team Blue? Yamaha makes a competitive model for every Honda. 

Darryl, ya beat me to it.  I have a commercial grade Honda 3500 (loud, no frills) and a Yamaha 3000i, electric start, inverter, and super quiet.  I haven't put 10 hours on the two of them, but I consider them insurance against loosing a couple of freezers.  I'd spend the money one either H or Y before considering a HF.  But then I'm weird.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

26 minutes ago, aztex said:

Considered it.... but with recent events I am DONE as much as possible with made in china!

Now I have to check.  I thought the Yamaha was made in Japan.  I do know Yamaha is based there.  That said, when I was a kid, anything made in Japan was considered inferior.

Okay, a quick search found this:  Yamaha headquarters are in Japan and for most of their generator models, they are still manufactured in Japan. However when the Japanese Tsunami hit in 2011, Yamaha (like many other manufacturers) needed to expand operations into other parts of Asia. So a few of their models now come out of a factory in China. Honda has done the same, including manufacturing out of places like Taiwan.
We would say that from our experience there has been no compromise in the quality of products since this expansion of manufacturing beyond Japan and that Yamaha & Honda are the premium brands in portable generators.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

23 minutes ago, aztex said:

Considered it.... but with recent events I am DONE as much as possible with made in china!

You stand a higher chance with any of the cheaper alternatives. Honda and Yamaha are manufactured in Japan. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I posted in the travel trailer section a while back that I had purchased 2 Yamaha inverter generators 2000watt with parallel kits for $399 a piece at Costco. My son has the 2000watt Honda and we cannot tell  the difference in the sound of the Honda verses the Yamaha..The box says designed and engineered in the USA, Manufactured in China.

Edited by pinger

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

On 3/19/2020 at 11:44 AM, aztex said:

Heavy...and...... made in china...

When you read the specs Boliy bests both Honda and Yamaha for gensets with the same continuous output. Yes, made in China.  I have no idea about longevity, i only bought mine in 1998. I had to replace the carb once; my fault for not draining the carb while we wintered in Florida and not starting it until the next winter. The new carb was $39, from Canada.

After that I always used the carb drain screw for storing the genset.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Don't like China? How about Mexico, Thailand or Bangladesh?

I'll take Mexico, Thailand or Bangladesh etc ANY DAY over china!

Last month I was at gem show in Tucson looking at some Chinese turquoise. They had somehow routed little worm tracks in the gems and filled with copper. I deal in turquoise and have never seen native copper in turquoise much less and inclusions like than in any gems (my qualifications: MS in geoscience and been in gem trade since 1992). I questioned them at length and 3 or 4 of the sellers assured me "all 100% natural just out of the ground" which I knew was a lie. To prove it I noticed one that was made in the same fashion that had a Chinese symbol routed into it filled with copper! When confronted they stuck by there story "all 100% natural just out of the ground ...except hat ONE". All the while smiling and nodding heads. Dressed to the 9's trying to look like honest business men...Business 101 in china! 

The next time I deal with an honest merchant from china will be the first time! I love the people and the historic culture. I have many friends with Chinese ancestry. I am referring to the current communist business practices.

• 2 weeks later...

I have registered on this forum for one purpose - to ask some questions on this thread, LOL. I was browsing information on the internet about Honda EU2200i generator and found this forum and this exact topic. OP, did you use this generator previously? Is it really as good as people say? I asked my friends for advice and one of them sent me a link to the whole article about Honda power generator EU2200i. I have even found one. A guy sells used generator on this particular model. Should I buy it?

Edited by RainbowStalin

When you ask about buying a used generator with no additional information the answer has to be maybe. How many hours does it have, what condition is it in, and what is the price?

I owned a Honda 2000i which I got at 3 years of age. It was a neighbor who was selling because he got a larger generator. He had given it good care and I did the same for 6 years and it served well and never failed to start when needed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 4/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, RainbowStalin said:

I have registered on this forum for one purpose - to ask some questions on this thread, LOL. I was browsing information on the internet about Honda EU2200i generator and found this forum and this exact topic. OP, did you use this generator previously? Is it really as good as people say? I asked my friends for advice and one of them sent me a link to the whole article about Honda power generator EU2200i. I have even found one. A guy sells used generator on this particular model. Should I buy it?

They are very good generators. probably top of their class but a bit more expensive. I had one for a while and was not using it and had a buyer so instead of letting it sit around sold it. They are quiet, powerful, easy start and reliable.

It was just under a stop sale BUT that's now over as I bought a new one today! It was a very simple fix. Seems some left the factory without a dab of dielectric grease and insulation pad... That's what I was told anyways. The should be on the shelves as soon as local stores do the fix.

BTW I always default to sporting goods or RV stores for these as they seem to be on sale but I tried the local Honda shop and it was even cheaper! $940 and set up for free.

As for used...they have had a couple recalls. First one was a small possible fuel leak and this second the simple issue I explained above. You may not get those taken care for free if needed if not original owner. Should be a list of serial numbers that require the fix on Honda website. New ones come with 3 year warranty.

• 1 year later...

The Honda EU2200i super quiet inverter generator offers 2200 watts of power. Extremely quiet and fuel efficient,

these options avalible.

Ideal for TV, DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, & more

Super quiet & lightweight

Inverter - stable power

Honda My Generator app + Bluetooth® capability

you can aslo read this guide about Honda EU2200i.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, RainbowStalin said:

I have been using my pair of EU2000i Honda generators for over 9 years now and never missed a lick except the one time I forgot to drain the carbs and let them set for 3 months.  I now keep Sea Foam in them and all the fuel and run only no-ethanol premium.  Great units and reliable...well worth the cost in my opinion and you can get parts for them or repairs as needed.  The cases are looking a little rough due the hauling, but they run when needed and they are quiet.  I run them only with Mobil One synthetic oil.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot