Moving from a Class A 50 amp to a Class A 30 amp, what will I lose?

Downsizing

7 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Actually it's 80 amps - 24 amps = 56 amps since neither circuit should be loaded more than 80% for any length of time.

I agree that this would be the proper way to consider things, but I seriously doubt if many  RVers worry about the "safe continuous load" on their electrical systems.  They run as many things as they can until they trip the pedestal breaker!  When it's summer and you have 2, 3 or more A/C's you just turn them on and let them rip!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The Alante when equipped with two 11,000 btu units comes with a 'power management system' and/or an 'energy management system'...

I can't find exact specs on this system but if it is like some aftermarket systems I have seen, I suspect it manages the two A/C units so that both compressors are not running at the same time. 

You should call or email Jayco and ask about it before you spend your money, especially if you plan to spend time in higher temperature locations. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

4 hours ago, docj said:

They run as many things as they can until they trip the pedestal breaker!  When it's summer and you have 2, 3 or more A/C's you just turn them on and let them rip!

You are probably correct, but the first post asked about the difference between 30A and 50A service. That breaker (like all such circuit breakers) actually has 3 trip points. They are long time, which means continuous, short time for such things as starting currents, and instantaneous, which is for a direct short or extremely high load. Typical long time trip setting is about 80% of the breaker's rated capacity. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, docj said:

I agree that this would be the proper way to consider things, but I seriously doubt if many  RVers worry about the "safe continuous load" on their electrical systems.  They run as many things as they can until they trip the pedestal breaker!  When it's summer and you have 2, 3 or more A/C's you just turn them on and let them rip!

I think you are right and this leads to breaker failure and burnt plugs.  Depending on a single device to routinely keep wires from getting hot enough to burn and start a fire seems risky to me. Electrical codes have a minimum service size for this reason and many try to operate these same appliances in their RV.  As I said earlier I think 30A service in an RV is just a way to cut costs, safety be damned.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

19 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

except for the misspelling

Correcting spelling on these forums is unnecessary.  We see auto-correct errors all the time that slip by.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 10/24/2019 at 3:32 PM, Randyretired said:

I think you are right and this leads to breaker failure and burnt plugs.  Depending on a single device to routinely keep wires from getting hot enough to burn and start a fire seems risky to me. Electrical codes have a minimum service size for this reason and many try to operate these same appliances in their RV.  As I said earlier I think 30A service in an RV is just a way to cut costs, safety be damned.

Guess that statement dates me; I remember when we thought it was great going from a 15A truck camper to a 30A TT.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Guess that statement dates me; I remember when we thought it was great going from a 15A truck camper to a 30A TT.

Ours was a 15A popup to a 30A travel trailer. It seemed that we had power to waste! There will always be a legitimate market for the less expensive RVs that have only 30a. Our present 20' travel trailer could hardly make use of a 50A supply. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI