Toll road transponders

kb0zke

This thread is related to another one, but a bit more general. Although we plan to visit all 50 States during our travels, our family is in the Midwest and we're on the active waiting list for a lot in Hondo, so a transponder that works for Texas and Oklahoma would probably cover the vast majority of the toll roads that we might use. If it also included Illinois we would probably have covered well over 90% of what we might need.

Questions:

1. Is there one transponder system that covers at least Texas and Oklahoma, with Illinois as a bonus?

2. We have a MH and towed. The towed may be on a toll road without the MH, but the MH will never be without the towed. How is that handled?

3. At some point (hopefully soon) we will be switching to a pickup and Airstream. Again, the truck may be on the toll road without the Airstream, but the Airstream obviously won't be on the toll road without the truck. How will the switch be handled?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I do not know of any Toll Tag that will work in both Texas and Oklahoma.  Each has there own toll system.  Texas has multi[le toll tags and each handles towed vehicles separately.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

IL's system is compatible with the E-Z pass system used throughout the northeast.  My NY E-Z pass worked fine all the way through PA, OH, IN, and IL last time I passed that way.  I understand it's NOT compatible with either TX or OK.

If you are going to be buying a NEW truck to use with the Airstream, look into NationalPass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NationalPass

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

11 hours ago, kb0zke said:

1. Is there one transponder system that covers at least Texas and Oklahoma, with Illinois as a bonus?

The northern TX toll tag which is sold, I believe, in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, is compatible with the OK system.  Illinois, I think, is part of the EZ-Pass consortium of the mostly eastern States.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

12 hours ago, kb0zke said:

For TX, OK and also KS the answer is yes but to date, it does not have agreements beyond those 3 states. I presently have the North Texas Tollway Authority transponder on both of our vehicles. We regularly travel around TX as well as across OK to visit family in various parts of KS using the Kansas Turnpike. The NTTA transponder does work on all TX toll roads and those in both OK and KS as well. As of the most recent bulletin from them, they are working on expanding the number of systems which accept their transponders but these are all that are currently active. In addition to this there is currently a  Texas Tag which is accepted by all TX toll authorities and also by the KS toll system and the last I knew they are working to include OK but I do not have first hand information about then, only what I have read. 

I have not used the NTTA Toll Tag with a motorhome but I do tow a trailer at times and they do read the proper number of axles. I inquired about the issue of motorhome towing a vehicle with a transponder and they say that only the first transponder will be read and axles counted, but I have never tested that to know for sure.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

29 minutes ago, docj said:

The northern TX toll tag which is sold, I believe, in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area,

While I suppose one could go to the NTTA office in Dallas to get a transponder, I have never actually spoken to anyone that did so. You can get the NTTA transponder by visiting their website from anywhere and you do not need to be in Texas. I have a cousin who lives in none of the 3 states accepting the Toll Tag who has one on his vehicle for frequent travel in the areas. 

3 hours ago, whj469 said:

If yes, then the Texas E-Tag will work in TX, OK, IL and I know for a fact that it will work in a number eastern states as well.

Are you sure about IL and states farther east?  The reason that I ask is that I just checked the NTTA, Tol Tag, the TX-DOT supported tag and it only lists TX and KS. The Harris Co. EZ Tag only lists TX and KS as places it is accepted. Since I have the NTTA transponder, it would be good if they do expand the places where they are accepted. 

On the subject of toll roads in general, I took a look at California toll roads because next spring we will be traveling extensively in the state and what a mess their told system is!

To date, five separate tolling agencies in California have distributed more than 2.5 million FasTrak transponders. It's important to get a transponder from the agency that operates the road, lane or bridge you will use most.  Each tolling agency has its own rules and minimum requirements.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, whj469 said:

A transponder must be the tag that you put on your windshield to pay tolls? If yes, then the Texas E-Tag will work in TX, OK, IL and I know for a fact that it will work in a number eastern states as well.

With all due respect I see nothing on the IL toll payment website to indicate that the TX-Tag will work there.  IL is an EZPass state as are most states east of IL.
Payment methods for Illinois toll roads and bridges

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I emailed the NTTA about this, and got this response: "For any vehicle or trailer travelling on our toll roads, whether they are being towed or not, will be charged, so we recommend a TollTag for any motorhome, trailer, car, or truck that you plan to drive." As I read that statement, I need two tags now, one for the MH and one for the car, and will also need two when we switch from MH and towed to truck and trailer. That sounds strange to me, so I asked that question. Of course, since it is past working time, I just got an automated response tonight. Maybe on Monday or Tuesday I'll get a real response.

First I've heard of a travel trailer needing a toll road tag. I thought that the reader would pickup the two or three axles following closely behind the truck and charge accordingly. Any real-world experience with this?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

29 minutes ago, whj469 said:

I just checked the Website, it is EZ Pass.

The Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) uses something called the EZ TAG.  Could that be what you have?

EZ Pass is more of a Northeastern US toll tag. From their website:

You can use your E-ZPass transponder on all toll roads with specially marked "E-ZPass" lanes. This currently includes roads in Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,West Virginia, North Carolina and Kentucky

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On the subject of toll roads in general, I took a look at California toll roads because next spring we will be traveling extensively in the state and what a mess their told system is!

"To date, five separate tolling agencies in California have distributed more than 2.5 million FasTrak transponders. It's important to get a transponder from the agency that operates the road, lane or bridge you will use most.  Each tolling agency has its own rules and minimum requirements."

https://thetollroads.com/accounts/fastrak/california

Kirk,

I grew up in southern CA and all of my relatives still live there.  I visit annually and seldom use a toll-road in CA.

I suspect you will decide you don't want to either.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Stop!!!

There's seldom a reason for any of us to check individual websites about where E-ZPass is available.  Wikipedia has a community of folks that have already done so, and they do a good job of keeping the information up to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

9 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

Stop!!!

There's no reason for us to check individual websites about where E-ZPass is available, when Wikipedia has a community of folks that have done it for us.  And they do a good job of keeping the information up to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

But that doesn't tell us what site whj469 checked that either has incorrect information or he misread.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

"But that doesn't tell us what site whj469 checked that either has incorrect information or he misread. "

I'm not trying to be disrespectful.  But I don't understand why that's important. 

If the site whj469 checked posted bad information, they'll eventually figure it out.  I see no need for me, or anyone else here, to police the accuracy of E-ZPass information on other websites.  If individuals here want to do so, for whatever reason, have at it.  If whj469 misread the information on the website he looked at, still no need for us to police the mistake, unless it is forcefully repeated.

This had a more argumentative tone than I intended, sorry.

Texas and primarily Harris County issues EZ-Tag which is accepted in OK and KS as well.  EZ Pass is primarily an east coast company, and SunPass a Florida.  Colorado has a tag system that works with several other states as well.  No 1 transponder works for everywhere UNLESS you are a commercial vehicle then PrePass or BestPass is great but there are monthly fees are taken, etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Texas and primarily Harris County issues EZ-Tag which is accepted in OK and KS as well. 

Our Harris County tag was not accepted in OK the last time we were there.   We were told that only the northern TX toll tag was reciprocal there. I don't know about Kansas.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived