I-Shift trans goes sour

ARGO

The guy I drive for had an I-Shift go bad in a truck w/ several hundred miles. Any guess what a factory reman goes for?

How about 13 LARGE ? And if the core is bad, add another 5, not incl labor.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

3 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Nothing is cheap anymore. (Except me, accoding to the other half.)

Being a cheap date isn't too bad but if she starts calling you easy, then we'll start to wonder :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, ARGO said:

The guy I drive for had an I-Shift go bad in a truck w/ several hundred miles. Any guess what a factory reman goes for?

How about 13 LARGE ? And if the core is bad, add another 5, not incl labor.

Seems kind of high. Had a reman installed. $10,000.00. Tec equipment in Portland Org. did the work.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm missing something....if the truck only had several hundred miles on it, why is it not covered under warranty....which is 750K miles. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

7 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I guess I'm missing something....if the truck only had several hundred miles on it, why is it not covered under warranty....which is 750K miles. 

Seems something is missing in the OP's post.  Maybe it was a used (out of warranty)  truck and the tranny failed after "several hundred miles"........which could be lack of due diligence prior to purchase - or just bad luck. (??)

No, I said "several" because I didn't know the actual mileage. I know if there was a warranty in effect, this guy would be ON IT. He owns 14 Volvos, and this one was bought new several years ago, could be a mil by now. Just stunned by the price.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

On 12/8/2018 at 8:47 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

Define "Bad". That price isn't a whole lot different than any manual transmission re-man.

Gold-plated manual reman is $3500

Manual IRAN ( Inspect / Repair As Necessary) runs $1200 to $2000....

The spare 10 speed RoadRager that came in the spare parts with the old Freightshaker had all bearings and a some gears replaced and reassembled for $1600.

Millions of manuals are in the system so the shear numbers keep the prices regulated fairly low......auto-trannys are a far less precentage of the tranny population so the high prices reflect this as well as the much more complicated / complex nature of the autos increase the high dollar parts count that is missing in the manual tranny....

When you lose your auto tranny you have no real choice but to buy a gold-plated replacement......the auto-trannys truck is tied to the original tranny and to change to other tranny is a large chore so best just bite the bullet and pay $$$ and consider the price the cost of playing the hobby-trucker-game.

Now the actual replacement cost for a manual transmission might seem cheep compared to a auto...... but......the $hifter / computer for a manual tranny tends to consume a lot of cheese burgers and beer so.....might cost more eventually.....

Drive on.......(how cheep is your shifting)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dolly - I has a question: do us we Shift ourselves trans owners get a reman when you only have to shout over noise of the trans or when we have to use actual ear protection, or when the above occurs along with jumping out of gear? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

5 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Update w/ facts- 687 K miles, but more than 5 years............

Bummer. That one hurts.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Dolly - I has a question: do us we Shift ourselves trans owners get a reman when you only have to shout over noise of the trans or when we have to use actual ear protection, or when the above occurs along with jumping out of gear? 

With close to a million miles on my 13 speed and super hearing everything ears I welded as isolator on the lever and wrapped a piece of hose around it. Now I just listen to the kitty purr. It was never even that noisey just me needing a project and wife would say I don't hear nothing and your loosing it.

14 hours ago, noteven said:

Knot.......What noise?  ?    ?

Me-shift ALWAYS gets the shift done without any noise at all........way too many hours with a prop tip so close that it would lop your arm off if you reached out the cockpit window has "tuned" my hearing so that my tranny is oh so quiet...........

Drive on............(Silence is a good shift.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

19 hours ago, beemergary said:

With close to a million miles on my 13 speed and super hearing everything ears I welded as isolator on the lever and wrapped a piece of hose around it. Now I just listen to the kitty purr. It was never even that noisey just me needing a project and wife would say I don't hear nothing and your loosing it.

Got more of an explanation of this?  I have a vibration that comes from the shift lever.  As soon as I put my hand on the shifter it stops.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

4 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Got more of an explanation of this?  I have a vibration that comes from the shift lever.  As soon as I put my hand on the shifter it stops.  

Mine did the same. Just split a piece of heater hose so it fit tight around the air lines and round lever and tape back together. Really works. Eaton started putting a shift lever isolater on the lower part of lever just above the trans. You can buy them or there's an aftermarket also. Your lever has to be taken out of trans cut apart welded in. I really didn't need the isolater. Heard about the hose on an antique trucking forum. Truckers like to use synthetic oil (more noise) but I still use mineral oil in my eaton 13 speed RTO 14613 I even modified a old school chrome L-D-OD shift knob to work.XIxVpP2l.jpg

Archived