Park snobs?

solo318

We took the new truck conversion to Salt Springs state park in central Florida this weekend. What a lovely place to set up camp for a few days. It was clean and well maintained, the sites were level and paved. We had a great time, EXCEPT.

My family has been camping in the same old C class for almost 15 years. We have been uplifted by the number of friendships we have made while camping. The Camping community has always been a welcome change from the stress of our normal routine. We spend most of our time sitting outside the RV enjoying the fresh air, and conversing with the passers by. When we arrived home yesterday afternoon, my wife mentions not feeling as welcome as we always had before. We both noticed that peoples comments went from genuine conversation to comments about how much money we must have and how large the new rv is. 

At the very next site over were the friends we sold our C class to.  When we hung out with them the comments were back to good conversation and friendly visits.

What gives?  We are the same people, we have the same dogs, we live the same way as before.  now we are being judged by the RV we have spent the last 3 years putting together.

So my question for the rest of you is this. Did we just get a bunch of bad neighbors? Is this the behavior we should expect until the paint fades and the coach looks worn out?

We have a trip planned to Tennessee next month. I guess we will find out soon enough. But it would be sorely disappointing to find out that we would be judged solely by the outside of the RV.

Just seems to be life in general. I wouldn't worry about others thoughts or actions. There the one with the problem.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I wouldn't let their comments bother you. Maybe they really aren't the people you thought they were. Most campgrounds we have been in everyone accepts you for what you are. Comments are generally "nice rig", "wow". Pettiness of wow the $$$ spent I have  never heard spoken.

We've experienced the same thing, but usually, it's folks stopping bye, complimenting us on the rig.  Positive comments far outweigh the negative, but it's those negatives that stick with you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My KW and trailer is a rag tag outfit - rock chips, faded dee cals, rust here and there, odd bit of sealant fluttering in the breeze, bugs, dirt...

It always amazes me when folks with late model nice rigs stop by and have a yak about how cool they think my rig is... 

OEM’s should offer a “patina” finish as an option 

I’ve had a couple guys feel the need to say something about “overkill” or “‘nuff truck har har”.

If you look at them and politely say, “Pardon?” about the 3rd time they repeat it starts sounding dumb even to them😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Perhaps we could say, "I didn't feel comfortable taking a loan to buy a truck like yours, so I paid cash for this one."     

Nahhh, just smile and walk away.

I actually had a woman ask what I did for a living to be able to afford such a rig.  She thought I was nuts when I said I had less in the truck, camper, and the 5 motorcycles sitting there, than she had in her pick-up and slide-in. (New F-550)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My guess ... they are simply jealous and want everyone to be in the very same 'boat' they are in . 

Some folks suffer from having to keep up with the Jones and feel inferior when they see others with something that looks better than what they  have . 

Enjoy what you put together . You earned it . Just smile , its a catching thing . 

Goes around , comes around .

I would be telling the nah sayers, ' The market has been good to me ' and just walk away. Now it's your time to have fun with them. lol. I would love to see your rig in person. Where in Tennessee are you going to ? There is a real nice camp ground in Crossville.

Rick - you are right - I just pencilled out truck, trailer, 1 yr old bike, older small bike... I could not buy a new F350 deezil fancy spec... just the truck... no rv ... 

Oh and I just used my KW dually to haul a 25,000lbs machine on a highboy last week... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Solo,

Don’t feel you need to be apologetic for what you earned.  I grew up in a two bedroom, clapboard house with two brothers and a sister.  Worked and paid my own way through college and professional school.  My parents needed their wages just to pay bills and put food on the table.  I’m sure my story fits a large majority of the folks that do what we do.  You earned it so enjoy it.  If folks are envious that’s their problem not yours.  As you said you’re the same person, if they make snide comments then they aren’t the same.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

37 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

I would be telling the nah sayers, ' The market has been good to me ' and just walk away. Now it's your time to have fun with them. lol. I would love to see your rig in person. Where in Tennessee are you going to ? There is a real nice camp ground in Crossville.

We are heading to the Chattanooga/ Lookout mountain KOA mid September.  We are hoping to get some cooler weather and a few days of R and R

I would not worry about those jealous site see'rs.  Last time out we parked next to a couple with a real nice 5th wheel, was a little jealous of their toy hauler.  I even said nice looking rig to him when I saw him outside.  Then we had a nice conversation about his experiences as a full-timer.  I did not mention, or laugh at his truck, was nice, but was a cheby... LOL.  Most people I run into always smile/wave and say howdy.  There is always a few that just grunt and ignore you, look down their noses, etc.  I just smile and think, grouch must be having a poor day.  Our RV is very nice looking, but is 16 years old.  So far, all I've heard is nice looking camper so I have not experienced what you have, so far.  I'm surprised I have not heard the over-kill comment about our truck yet.  While not new (2015), it is a Ram 3500 dually.  We could pull our rv with a smaller truck.  I have an interesting story behind how we got this truck ready if we were to get asked/queried about it.  I have had people after I tell them how old it is give me info on how to take care of and old trailer, best way to clean, chemicals to use/not use, etc.  I have not run into the jealous people like that yet, hope I don't.  Might change in a few years, after I pay this truck off and buy a new RV.  Just enjoy what you have, as long as it makes you happy, who cares what those arse***** have to say.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

The comments don't really bother me. It was however dramatically different than any camping trip we have done before. We have found that meeting and talking with our neighbors to be an important part of our camping experience.  I have historically found camping folk to be VERY friendly and easy going.

Maybe the folks at Salt Springs were on their way back from a pessimist convention. :)

15 minutes ago, solo318 said:

The comments don't really bother me. It was however dramatically different than any camping trip we have done before. We have found that meeting and talking with our neighbors to be an important part of our camping experience.  I have historically found camping folk to be VERY friendly and easy going.

Maybe the folks at Salt Springs were on their way back from a pessimist convention. :)

Or , maybe they had to go back to work tomorrow . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

5 hours ago, solo318 said:

So my question for the rest of you is this. Did we just get a bunch of bad neighbors?

There have always been at least a few snobs in the RV community and as the community has become larger and the range in price & amenities has widened, so too has the social spectrum of those who reside in them. In my experience, the vast majority of people in any part of society are good folks and even more so in the RV community. When we do run into the snobs at either end of the social spectrum of the RV community, the best thing is to use them as a reminder of what we should not do when we meet others in the RV community who may not fit into our idea of what the community should be. RVs  still have wheels and can be moved so our best recourse when these things happen is to use those wheels and make friends with those we meet at our next stop. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, solo318 said:

We are heading to the Chattanooga/ Lookout mountain KOA mid September.  We are hoping to get some cooler weather and a few days of R and R

Send me a PM when you get into town. That KOA is about 15 miles from our S&B.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Send me a PM when you get into town. That KOA is about 15 miles from our S&B.

Solo,

Might not want to PM him, he is a snob with his new Kenworth and such. 🤪. (Nah, just kidding, David’s a good guy, just don’t tell him I told you ).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Solo,

Might not want to PM him, he is a snob with his new Kenworth and such. 🤪. (Nah, just kidding, David’s a good guy, just don’t tell him I told you ).

2X.

The people that know me best will know this is the truth but I’ve had a few too many crowns one evening and somebody walked by and said God I wish I was born rich I would buy something like that and I said well I would just born with a silver spoon in my butt and one precious metals went up I pulled it out and sold it and this is what I wound up with. They walked off and never talk to me again their loss!

GCTaaehl.jpg

Just remember some folks that got it don't flaunt it, some that don't go broke trying.     When Howard Hughes was the richest man in the world he would drive around in old black Chevy's wearing work clothes.     There are plenty of "pretenders" everywhere, folks that have all the new toys and are in debt to their ears.      Life is too short to worry about what strangers "think" of your stuff.     As Kirk mentioned above, if people are snarky ignore them and move on.     

Now a lot of people are just overwhelmed by the size of the big trucks, they assume they cost a ton of cash.     While there are several new trucks in the forum community most are not and the average truck here cost rival a fancy dually.      A quick education can go far in dispelling the misconception that you are a trust fund kid.     The snobs will be snobs regardless, the uninformed may become interested in learning more.     Just consider how many people here are former gawkers.

Steve    

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived