Paul Evert RV fire

Jim Corey

Last thing on a ABC news local report is "they believe the fire started in a refrigerant area of an RV".. Norcold or Dometic watch out. There was a earlier comment that it was the body shop where the fire started..why was an RV refrigerator running in a body shop?

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

38 minutes ago, teacher's pet said:

why was an RV refrigerator running in a body shop?

Why not? A fulltimers refrigerator normally runs 24/7 no matter where it is, right? The articles I saw said the employees were on scene and working when the fire broke out. They also said the building contained a repair shop and a paint booth.

I do not turn off my refrigerator when I have it serviced.....and if it is going to stay over night I would ask them to plug it in, if possible. The shop where my work gets done has been known to supply a power cord to fulltimers at night so they can stay in their home at night.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Body shop makes it suspicious anyway.  All the solvents and cleaning rags.  Most of the solvents are highly flammable to start with, put several in a bucket and feel the temp rise.  Also if it is an RV body shop, they probably had fiberglass repair on site.  That's another whole selection of chemicals that like to go BOOM.  I did paintwork and Fiberglass work at several large marine manufactures as well as my own business and I've helped put out small fires that started from a pile of cleaning rags at all the companies.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I ran with mine on all the time except when fueling and when having it serviced.

I've never thought about body shop etc. Yep the startup sparks even four feet or so off the ground, could definitely cause ignition if the fumes can get to the reefer side and rooftop vents.

Thanks for the tip.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Fridge fire??? Maybe not...

From the Fresno Bee article: "The employees saw that the fire initially was burning on the rear of one of the RVs inside the building that eventually was engulfed." 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, 57becky said:

From the video,

What video? Your post shows a .pdf file that isn't available??

The fire began in the auto body-paint shop. Investigators say an RV inside the building started smoldering.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On the plus side, damage was confined to the building and none of the RVs on the lot outside were damaged.

Paul Evert's RV Country is open for business and their marquee now reads "Fire Sale Hot Deals!"

http://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/refrigerator-to-blame-for-multi-million-dollar-fire-at-paul-everts-rv/985746731

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, do you all have an automatic fire extinguisher in your refrigerator compartment? 

No, but I do have an ARP-rv device to prevent overheating.

16 minutes ago, 57becky said:

Sorry, saw the video, and from that figured out which building burned. 

Since there were at least two different versions of how it started by different news sources, do you happen to know if the paint booth is in that building? No matter how the fire started, a paint booth would probably make it more difficult to control. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've never been into that building, but even if there wasn't a paint booth, as flammable as RV's are, once one got to burning, it wouldn't take long to light up everything inside.  Their general repair and I think pre-delivery prep is done in the large building that has their sales, parts  and offices in it, and I'm not sure what the building to the west contains.

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, do you all have an automatic fire extinguisher in your refrigerator compartment? 

Linda Sand

No I do not. Never had one in the S&B house either. 
And since this is a residential refrigerator the answer is "no" I do not plan to put one in.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived