Skylight or not

GlennWest

Our shower dome is double pane . Never noticed a leak or a difference in temps . 

I did notice that the original sealer that the factory used was starting to loosen and I removed the dome , cleaned the sealer and applied new sealer . I replaced the dome , screwed it down and then applied my preferred roof repair tape ( much the same as eternabond ) . That was about 5 years ago . No leaks  .

Edited by Pat & Pete

I specifically removed the skylight from our new DRV when we ordered it.  I had LED lights installed in the ceiling above the shower instead for light.  I did this for two reasons.  The primary reason was I wanted as much roof space as possible for solar.  The second reason was we almost always had the skylight above the shower in our old trailer covered in the summer time because it let in so much heat.  I did have to make my case to my DW because she wanted the natural light, but I was able to prevail on this issue for the build (she prevailed on some other issues).  Also, height was not an issue in our DRV, so that wasn't a consideration.

When hail wiped out the skylight on my previous rig (Landmark by Heartland) I replaced it with a Maxair powered vent.  I really like a vent directly over the shower to vent the steam out.  I still had plenty of room for solar - if I remember correctly it had 600 watts total.

Tempted to remove the skylight in current MH and replace with powered vent.

Lenp

If I ordered a new one again, I would opt not to have one.  From the factory you get one led light in the shower and when you delete it you get 2.  So light is not really an issue.

I would think it would be a ton more work to delete one vs replace one on a used rig.

Edited by rynosback

18 hours ago, rynosback said:

If I ordered a new one again, I would opt not to have one.  From the factory you get one led light in the shower and when you delete it you get 2.  So light is not really an issue.

I would think it would be a ton more work to delete one vs replace one on a used rig.

Not really. Build frame inside, plywood, luan, roof , etherbond edges.

I removed our sky light in the shower and installed a base level Fantastic fan (no reverse or remote). It still lets in the light and the fan sucks out any moisture 5 min after the shower is done, leaving the glass door and walls dry. The fan was a direct drop in for our Cameo fifth wheel. Power is from the O/H shower light.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01