Winter in Texas

Gary Hill

We are new to the RV lifestyle and will be going full time in January 2018.  We are wondering if anyone has advice on some campgrounds in Texas that we might look into for the colder months.  We want to be warm!  Thanks you for your assistance.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you be a part of things here. 

Texas is a very large state and so the typical temperatures range widely and the same is true of winter weather. We home base near Tyler and when you compare winters here to those we experienced when we lived in Wyoming, there really isn't much winter, but when compared to winters in the Rio Grande Valley, we have some nasty weather. There are those who have wintered farther north, but if it were me I'd plan to go south to San Antonio or further to avoid winter weather. We have spent time at the Sandollar RV park in Rockport and enjoyed it, but that was a few years ago. There are so many choices in the Rio Grande Valley that I'd suggest researching via RV Park Reviews and then asking here about specific parks. These parks do change management and ownership often enough that sometimes things can change a great deal in a short period of time. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Gary, I did last year what you are going to do this year. I wound up in Port O'Connor. I planned on spending a month there, but ended up there for four months! We saw one night below 32*. Being from Minnesota that was a bit of a change! BTW, the campground we were in had full hook-ups plus cable TV for $300 + electric.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Welcome to the Escapees.

We winter at Kerrville, Texas Hill Country, which is about 70 miles NW of San Antonio on I-10. Yes we have some cold temperatures but it normally warms up during the day. Kerrville is one of the places the RV people move to in March to escape Rio Grande Valley heat.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We spend winters in Port Aransas.  In the last seven years we have had two nights with temps below 32*.  The local weather man says South Texas cold is anything below 60*!  (I duck hunt in the Corpus Christi Bay area Nov thru Jan and many mornings at 0500 the temps are 60+).  As Kirk recommends check out RVParkreviews and look at Rockport/Fulton, Aransas Pass and Port Aransas.  Be advised to book early as the better parks fill up fast.  Also be advised if you go to the beach you can expect beach conditions, sand, salt and wind.  Always amazed when people come to our park and then complain about the sand, salt and wind! Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Many people go to the Rio Grand Valley for the winter............

That is what we did.  Planned on staying a month there and then change locations, but loved it so much we stayed 2 months.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Depends on what you are looking for. For an upscale park take a look at Retama VIllage in Mission TX.  
Retama Rentals.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We stayed in Bentsen Palms adjacent too Retama  and under the same ownership management [ at least they were/

Great facilities and well spaced. well laidout sites Not cheap at 677 $ for a back in in January but they are often fully booked months ahead. 

We also enjoyed South Padre Island. 

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

We wintered in the RGV (Donna) once! The wind was not comfortable for us, a day without wind was unusual. We are still searching for a S. TX area where wind is not a constant.

These bookmarks list practically every RV park in the RGV. We have wintered in FL but prices- one month more than pays for staying 4 months in parts of TX.

RGV links and information
South Texas RV parks and Mobile Home parks in Harlingen, Texas
Texas Campgrounds
Texas RV Resort Parks in the South Rio Grande Valley, members trva
http://rv-rgv.com/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived