TEC light

Vegas Teacher

TSC = Traction Stability Control

This "warning light" (tell tale) on your dash indicates a "fault" in your TSC system.

Go into your "diagnostic" mode on your Drivers Indicator Display (DID) and see if you have any fault codes listed.  This might give you a clue as to why the system is showing a fault

You should have a switch on your dash when activated "turns off" the TSC and enables the "warning light" tell tale on your dash display.  Start with the easy stuff and see if the " switch" is turned off. Remember the switches operate backwards.....down is "on" up is "off".

Not to be picky, but I believe you're talking about the Traction Control Syetem (TCS) light.  It may be similar to a TSC or TEC light, however, the TCS system works in conjunction with the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) to limit wheel slipping.

I could be wrong, however, I do not think you will get a code by looking at the internal diagnostics.  You will need to have the TCS Control Module scanned.

Since your truck also gets an intermittent ABS light, I would bet that once you solve the ABS issue, you may well solve the TCS problem.

Just sayin....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Truedat... We looked at the Diagnostics page when he first picked it up and nothing was showing other than the constant TCS light and the intermittent ABS light.

I am going to try to look at it again this weekend and see if I can get any codes.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Vegas Flyer or John is a great person. He has taught me a lot about backing, driving and dogs. I don't know if I will ever be able to repay him for his patience, experience or help!

As I put in another post I am "Daygo" on both sides of my family tree and my blood runs pretty hot. John told me the story of "The Old Bull and the Young Bull" he has tried to help me calm down and take things in stride. Sometimes I forget the best advice he has given me. John is a great friend and a great person. I just feel bad he has a friend like me with no skills to offer back.

Later,

Cory O

Cory, you are gaining experience in a totally new area for you. So there will be some frustration. If you apply YOUR skills in teaching and realize that repetition, time and study are the way to gain new skills/knowledge, then you will quickly become more proficient in the HDT "adventure" that you have set out on. You are being too hard on yourself. It will all come to you over time. And, yes, you are lucky that John is there to help....but you will get there. 

There is always someone around that knows more ....that is why I learn something new at every HDT Rally I go to. There are some very skilled people in this "hobby" that share their knowledge. And that is a good thing..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like others have said, it takes time to understand your truck.  And if there isn't enough time right now, then research what you can ask questions and research the answers given to find the best solution to your question.  

The TEC/TCS/ABS/??? light is a perfect example.  Research it as you have time.  After school's out, or during a break dive into it and see what you can do.  ABS codes can be as simple as a sensor not connecting with the tone ring at the wheel assembly, torn wire, or a bad sensor.  

I have PDF's downloaded from everything I can find about my truck.  Thankfully Mark Bruss and others did the heavy lifting for me on their trucks, Late Gen 1 and early Gen 2 models.  I just had to make sense of what my issue was, and how to apply their fix.

I have also learned that Google just about knows all if you use the right string of words, and cuss words usually don't work well....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 5/24/2017 at 7:35 AM, HERO Maker said:

You're a good man John.

Thanks for the kind words Rocky but not a big deal.  We got to all look out for each other and lord knows a lot of folks have done that for me over the years.....lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I ran trucks OTR and local for years. And not much other then rebuild the engine. That I have not gotten into. But still I learn more each time I'm around one. Sad part is, most of what I learned. Does me no good today.:( Because I used to be able to just turn the fuel injection pump to manual. And drive home 3000 miles. Those days are over and way to many electronics for me.

And as others put it. I learn anytime I'm around others. AS I want to learn a better way of doing it. I may be a Dumb Tn river rat/Redneck But can learn stuff.

event.png

8 hours ago, wild wolf products said:

I ran trucks OTR and local for years. And not much other then rebuild the engine. That I have not gotten into. But still I learn more each time I'm around one. Sad part is, most of what I learned. Does me no good today.:( Because I used to be able to just turn the fuel injection pump to manual. And drive home 3000 miles. Those days are over and way to many electronics for me.

And as others put it. I learn anytime I'm around others. AS I want to learn a better way of doing it. I may be a Dumb Tn river rat/Redneck But can learn stuff.

I can definitely relate to what you wrote.  It is amazing to see the changes in trucks just in the last twenty years.  Some for the good and arguably, some for the bad.  Along with being a pilot, I am also an A&P mechanic, which means I get involved enough to be dangerous...lol. The point there being that aviation has equally seen the advances that our big lugs have seen in technological advancement.

What I try to do is to sort through the chaff for the wheat on a lot of things.  For example, in the automotive world, a Check Engine light has a plethora of items which will illuminate the light.  Fortunately the majority of them are emission related and will not leave you on the side of the road.  Our newer trucks do have a lot more things that will not only leave you on the side of the road, they may even stop the show before you can even get to the side of the road, as Vegas Teacher recently got the priveledge of learning.

With all that said, I think it is a case of taking each system and breaking it down individually, if possible.  It is at that level that what seems so complicated is in reality not that hard to understand, not that hard to operate and often, not that hard to repair.

Along those lines you can drill down on something like the TCS, TSC, TEC r whatever the friggen light is, to discover that though ideally we want have it functional, we can still operate a truck in a completely safe manner without a functional Traction Control System.

If you jump on a commercial flight today, there is a chance that several individual components on the plane will be inoperable.  They will actually even have a sticker(s) somewhere in the cockpit denoting that fact and there will be a maintenance logbook entry showing that the item is inoperable.  This practice falls under a Minimum Equipment List (MEL).  It is a document that each manufacturer develops and publishes for each aircraft model.  They break down all the systems and list The criticality of each item.

While some folks might initially think that every item should be operational on a plane, some f the more obvious items that could be easily agreed upon are items like, a tail illumination light or logo light to advertise the airline at night.  Or seat belts on a flight with minimal or no passengers.

They will also authorize some important items though, as well.  Items such as wheel brakes, flap actuators, airspeed indicators, fuel gauges.  All those items, depending on the airplane, can be deferred maintenance items.  

There is a whole lot more that goes into the development of an MEL, but Lord knows I write too much...lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

1 hour ago, noteven said:

The check engine light symbol should be $$$ signs

Good point, though on automobiles, do you know how many people see the check engine light and go to a shop and pay them for a repair that involves tightening the fuel cap?

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

55 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Good point, though on automobiles, do you know how many people see the check engine light and go to a shop and pay them for a repair that involves tightening the fuel cap?

One of my Cousins did that. She had the car for a week. The warranty was just out on it. She takes it to the Nissan shop. They charge her $129.00 to tighten the fuel cap. LOL

As for the ABS light, back in 1994. One of the Frightliner condo's I was driving. Had the ABS light come on in Southern Or. 2300 miles later I pull into our shop. For a different item. Told the Shop Foreman that stinking light came on in OR. When I go back to leave out, There just finishing up our truck. Come to find out a front wheel bearing was failing. This truck had 7500 miles on it. He told me when the bearing let a gap show up. The ABS light read it as a Sensor failing or something. But it was a wheel bearing failing.

event.png

Well we got a chance to play with the Great Pumpkin today and found that the mysterious light, which was a TCS light, was from intermittent data flow from an ABS sensor on the driver's side front drive axle.  That location, ironically enough...lol, is where a seal is leaking like a fat girl at a watermelon eating contest.

Overall, I do believe that VegasTeacher is now in a better place, no longer needing to use a stress card or an adult coloring book.  He has a realistic plan of action to get his chariot in as reliable condition as will be reasonably possible and it will not be as bad as he originally feared.

One anecdotal thing which we found is that the truck has four tires on the front drive axle that have over half thier useful tread, but are severely scalloped from the prior owner trying to be a cheapskate and trying to squeeze more life out of the rear shocks, when they were well overdue to be replaced.  It equates to jumping over about a thousand dollars in tires to save 75.00 in shocks.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

5 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Well we got a chance to play with the Great Pumpkin today and found that the mysterious light, which was a TCS light, was from intermittent data flow from an ABS sensor on the driver's side front drive axle.  That location, ironically enough...lol, is where a seal is leaking like a fat girl at a watermelon eating contest.

Great find!  

How did you find the location of the ABS sensor that was faulting?

We did a diagnostic check and got it to throw a code.

MID 136 SID 3 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, Drive Front (L) 2 Data erratic = 2

The odd thing is that it did not show any codes on the trip home.

Most likely it will clear up when the seal is fixed and all the gear lube is cleaned up.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

2 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Wow!

Ain't that cool!

Sometims the fault codes can be helpful.... as long as the fault is throwing a code!

Truedat!

As we were working on VT's truck I commented to him, "You know, pit is actually quite amazing just how much advanced these trucks are, especially for  the 30k price range that we both got our trucks for!"

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

2 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Was this truck purchased from a dealer or private seller?

Private Seller.  The bad part is that VT paid a Volvo dealer, 600.00 to do the pre-buy inspection, thinking he would also get a Dyno test.  Not only did the Dyno not happen, the inspection turned out to somehow miss a lot of questionable items on the truck.

With that said, there were several items that VT knew were in need of TLC along with several high dollar items which were replaced with the past year.  Our checks did confirm that.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived