Speed display

Jack Mayer

Anyone know of a good device (separate device) that can be dedicated to speed display? Likely it would have a built in GPS. I know my Garmin does that....and I do use it. But I'd like something bigger and placed where I want it. The Silverleaf can be set to do this, but they do not work on newer Volvo's. 

I know a phone app can do this... but I want my phone to be used for other purposes.   There may not be a decent answer for this....but thought I'd ask....   :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Goodwill GPS. Cheap and dirty, leave it on speed display, with a big GPS used for routing. Or use the speedometer ;)

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Jack,

If you do go the GPS route, I would recommend trying a few calibration runs before relying on pure GPS for a speedometer.

In aircraft systems the gps speed is only allowed as a secondary indication unless the system also relies on ground based or inertial navigation to calibrate itself.

It may not be that big of a difference, but anecdotally, I can tell you that on a Boeing 747, we use the gps to indicate taxi speed because we are sitting so high off the ground and during taxi speeds an air speed indicator will not register.  While it does work, it is not that reliable to show speed variations as quick as a speedometer would.  The hamsters have to punch numbers in thier hand held calculators and there can be a fair delay at slower speeds.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

You could just get a tablet with whatever screen size you want, running whatever OS you prefer, and run your favorite App that shows MPH/KPH. In the iOS store, I see "SpeedTracker" for FREE. Looks like it's just a large speedometer. Numerous MPH Apps on the Google Play Store; many are free. I just typed "MPH" in the GPS search bar.

22 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

How about these? You can get analog or digital

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gps-speedometer

This one looks interesting. About what I had in mind.

I doubt the projection (heads up) display would work very well, but the rest  should. And the price is right.

So why not just the speedometer?....no reason....just additional convenience. I find the display on the GPS to be a little small. I'm not as youthful in the eye area as I once was. I know I can do a $60 android tablet, with app. I was wondering what else was out there...and now I know. Thanks.

I've been wanting to play around with the Navdy, but the price is a little off putting. 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm with murphy. Yeah, it's a bit pricey but it is real time not delayed and capable of so much more. I'm surprised you don't have one Jack. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

I'm with murphy. Yeah, it's a bit pricey but it is real time not delayed and capable of so much more. I'm surprised you don't have one Jack. 

I will jump on the scangauge train.  Seems like a lot better way than being worried about RAIM and whether or not the planets are lined up withyuranus...

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Our Smart is Canadian car. It reads in KM. No conversion to MPH. 

When in states I use the scan gauge. 

Acuate and other parimeters too. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

For those that run Android devices, I find the Ulysse Speedometer app is awesome. You can do a large full screen display on a tablet or phone or if you already run some sort of mapping program on a phone, it can actually overlay the speed indicator and other things over the map. It actually has a lot of customization you can add in too. It makes a really good trip computer too. It's pretty cool. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer&hl=en

Td1dQC-Jio2zuys_1pt9nvBUAtFr2kPycsubGxbZ

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I know all about the apps, as I indicated in the original post. Although I had not seen the one Blue posted - pretty nice. I use CarHomeUltra in my smart car, and like it just fine. I just wanted a dedicated separate device that does not take up a lot of space. But it is a side issue, really. The speedometer works just fine :)  As does the speed on my Garmin. But the Garmin is not always running. 

The scan gauge may or may not work on a 2015 Volvo. Not all do. But it would be a useful device to have - no doubt. I really wish the Silverleaf stuff would work - that is like a scangauge. But the proprietary encoding on the Volvo bus is not happy to talk to the VMSpc in any detail. I will have to try that out some more....perhaps some fiddling will work. Otherwise my wifi version of the VMSpc will be for sale......works with all Windows computers and tablets (W10 tablets).

www.jackdanmayer.com

Not trying to hijack but I have been using a app mostly on my bicycle rides on my Android called Geo-Tracker made by.....Geo--Tracker.org 

What make this app so neat is that is sorta a tracker for bean counters so to speak...... in that it displays speeds and distance and altitudes but it also graphs all of the displays and gives several averages as well........obviously more data than anyone would likely need but at the end of a trip the graphs tend to explain why my legs feel like I have peddled up a pretty steep grade......because .....I did peddle up 456 ft of altitude......whew.....

Geo-Tracker runs fine in the background so it has no effect on any of the other uses of the phone and it seems pretty bug free.

When we make a road trip out here in the Western states I never cease to be amazed how much altitude we gain and lose in the course of a few hundred miles and it really gives another dimension (Z axis / grade) to help explain why fuel mileage varies much of the time.

While you obviously want a stand--alone speed display and you have no desire to use your phone as a display but you might find it fun to try geo-tracker and let it run in the background just for kicks.....

Drive on..........(How much more data do I need.......) 

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

35 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Dolly, You do know that riding your bicycle IS illegal, correct?

It's called Prostitution. After all, you are pedaling your ass.........:rolleyes:

Sucks my fat u knowhat just broke two spokes on the drive wheel so obviously I am overweight as well a$$ butt ugly on any amount of wheels .....

Ride on........(tune those spokes to E sharp.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Sucks my fat u knowhat just broke two spokes on the drive wheel so obviously I am overweight as well a$$ butt ugly on any amount of wheels .....

Ride on........(tune those spokes to E sharp.......)

Yea, it probably wouldn't be a very profitable endeavor for me either......... Just hope them spokes ain't too sharp........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Jack, some fire departments mount a speedometer and an air guage so the Captain ( right seat) can watch over the drivers speed. And so using the air horns he doesn't deplete the air. 

Is someone wanting to watch over you!? LOL

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

2 hours ago, Rick & Alana said:

Jack, some fire departments mount a speedometer and an air guage so the Captain ( right seat) can watch over the drivers speed. And so using the air horns he doesn't deplete the air. 

Is someone wanting to watch over you!? LOL

No, my right seater already HAS a watchdog. She runs Co-pilot on an Android tablet and it squawks at me if I exceed the speed limit. Which I don't tend to do, but occasionally it gets me..... She does not have to say a word..... :(

Actually, you guys made me focus some more on getting the VMSpc working right. That really is the best answer for me. After all, what is one MORE tablet on the dash....I already have several.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived