Vegas Teacher

O.K. Trailer breaks and set up is going great now. I was on the Tuson RV site looking at the direclink brake controller. I called the 1-800 phone number and spoke with people who were knowledgeable about turning the HDT into a hauler for our trailers. It seems like most places I talk to have no idea of what we are doing or if it is even possible or legal. It is just frustrating at times. Anyway Allen at Tuson brakes knew exactly what we were doing and knew the Volvo semi's very well. Several on the forum told me what to order for my brakes I looked it up and found the product. I then came to the issue of the wiring harness I also needed to order. Amazon had the direclink brake controller but no harness. Tuson RV has the harness on their site but ordering is not on the site. So I call the 1-800 and speak with Allen. He directs me to https://www.southwestwheel.com/p-4996-direclink-brake-controller.aspx this site which is based in Dallas - Hey big 5er' lets hear it for the loan star state, any way they are cheaper than Amazon with free shipping and the wire cable is an add on to the brake controller. Allen stayed on line with me and helped me pick out all of the right parts. He verified that I should order the Freight liner cable for my volvo and that I needed the 9 pin. He also asked me if I was going to use the Jackalopee for the wiring conversions. So in our conversation I asked him if he knew about the HDT forum and he said he knew it well and that they were down at the ECR and would also have people at the WCR in June. For so many reasons it is nice to see the idea of using a Semi to pull our travel trailers is catching on. It is frustrating, especially when dealing with the DMV and insurance companies, with people who are clueless. It is great to talk to someone, in the sales industry, who knows what you are going through, knows semi's and understands what you need and why.

My trailer hitch came at 6 p.m. last night and I will be getting  it put on soon. 

I am really excited that something I started saving for 3 years ago is almost coming to reality. I can't wait to take my first trip in it or spend the night somewhere. I think one of the modifcations we are making to our current trailer (23.5 foot fleetwood, pioneer bumper tow) is the take out the sleeper couch in the kitchen area for 3 dog kennels. 3 German Shepherds take up a lot of space. 

Speaking of dogs, if anybody would like to do some dog training or pack training with your dogs please find me. I am more than willing to do a seminar on training techniques. I know we will all be ankle high and knee deep in Semi's and Trailers and upkeep etc... but for those who would like to brake away from that one evening let me know. Flyer and I both work with dogs a lot. Flyer has a lot more experience and was my original trainer. We are both involved in a sport called Schutzhund. We will be happy to give pointers to anybody.

See you at the WCR in June - I can't wait to put names to faces!

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana   

19 minutes ago, noteven said:

Hey Vegas T - great to see your project coming together. 

That sport Shutzhund... is it related to one I've been told I would be good at called Dummkopf?

Noteven,

Dimmkopf is th European version.  When the clubs formed in the US, they changed it to Dummschitzz....B)

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I bought all my stuff through Southwestwheel also. Great people to work with.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Hummm...... I was sitting at a table Thursday night with one of the attendees of the recent ECR that reported that they were getting an abnormal number of fault codes on their Volvo.  They took it to a local Volvo repair facility where they were told that the codes were a result of the Direclink they were using being incompatible with the truck's EECM.   Volvo disconnected the Direclink, cleared the codes and all was well.  I just listened and made no comment but did think that the analysis was rather "unusual".  My feeble 70 year old brain has trouble remembering names more than a table discussion or technical data.  Maybe someone that has a better memory for names can fill in the blank space so more information about what this particular Volvo shop determined to be the problem/cure can be gathered.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy 

The fellow was Tom but I don't remember his forum name.  It was confirmed at the DirecLink seminar that the controller is not yet compatible with the newer Volvos about 2013 or 2014 and newer.  I don't recall exactly what year Tom's truck is but it very well could be newer than 2013.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Well, I'm glad Nigel knew it was Tom and the compatibility issue was with the newer trucks beginning around 2013.  I'm sure DirecLink will identify the issue and quickly make the needed revisions.  It was one of those discussions that you take notice to but since it does not directly impact a vehicle I own it gets filed in low memory.  But, now I am even more curious as to why the DirecLink would be a problem at all.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy

If I understand it correctly the manufacturers have changed to a higher speed data bus and DirecLink is having a problem breaking out the info they need from the data stream.  The have a relationship with the Freightliner engineers and got the info for them but they don't have the same for Volvo.  It sounds like they have sourced a truck and are trying to hack it themselves.  I don't think they were aware of the Volvo problem for some  time. 

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

We had a gentleman at the ECR and I think it was Direct link say they had and now new about it and they were in fact trying to work out the bugs.   Pat

The Old Sailor

On May 3, 2017 at 7:26 PM, RandyA said:

Hummm...... I was sitting at a table Thursday night with one of the attendees of the recent ECR that reported that they were getting an abnormal number of fault codes on their Volvo.  They took it to a local Volvo repair facility where they were told that the codes were a result of the Direclink they were using being incompatible with the truck's EECM.   Volvo disconnected the Direclink, cleared the codes and all was well.  I just listened and made no comment but did think that the analysis was rather "unusual".  My feeble 70 year old brain has trouble remembering names more than a table discussion or technical data.  Maybe someone that has a better memory for names can fill in the blank space so more information about what this particular Volvo shop determined to be the problem/cure can be gathered.

Thinks for posting this. I was just thinking about two conversations from the rally ad out this and I believe one of them was with the Volvo dealer that was at the rally and another was Norman Taft. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I would still thank about the BluDot it does not have any interface with the ECU. 

I have not had the first problem with mine. I have Jack and the others on the forum to thank for helping me change my mind from Directlink to the BluDot, and just for your piece of mind there is no wiring envolved. 

2 Great Danes

39 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

So how does one tow your trailer if they can't supply air to your BluDot?

I still have the electric/hydraulic master cyclinder plumbed into my system and the original RV 7 pin connector. I can open a valve and have the original E/H brake system over ride the A/H system. You have to think ahead because things do break down. 

2 Great Danes

16 hours ago, MrSeas said:

So how does one tow your trailer if they can't supply air to your BluDot?

That is a fair question. Heavymetal provided one answer. The rest of the answer is "it depends on your needs". If you have to have multiple tow vehicles towing your trailer, then the BluDot is likely not a preferred solution. If you are just worried about breakdowns then it is not a real issue. Either the tow truck hooks up its air, or it tows you without brakes. Either of which work fine. 

For resale, you simply add back the electric/hydraulic actuator, or leave it in place with a valve as discussed above. It is no big deal to add back the actuator. Takes less than an hour. On my last trailer I removed the BD and put in the actuator in an hour. (in that case the new buyer paid for the actuator) Moved the BD to the new trailer. That assumes your lines reach.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I watched Steve Dixon and HeroMaker put the lines and glad hands on Steve's truck today.  We'll likely do my truck Monday.  I'm seriously considering doing as Heavymetal suggested, and make my trailer so any one can pull our trailer.  I'll also likely move the Jackalopee to the trailer, for the same reasons.  If we're on the road and my truck becomes in-operable, any truck, from an F-350 to a commercial hauler, can move my trailer safely.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I might be on the wrong side of this but I still prefer DirecLink. I can adjust the braking pressure in multiple steps and it brakes in proportion to the amount the truck is decelerating. Is the pressure applied with the BluDot system adjustable at all or is it just directly related to the truck airline pressure?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Installing the lines on the truck is the easy part!

I didn't have the time or resources at that time or I would have done that.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Is the pressure applied with the BluDot system adjustable at all or is it just directly related to the truck airline pressure?

I think the definitive answer should come from Blu-Dot directly but, by what I understand of it you would need to change the master cylinder size or the caliper/wheel cylinder size to change the brake force.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

That is my understanding of how the system works as well. If that is true, you really have no idea of the force applied to the trailer brakes. The force might be in proportion to the truck but that force could be any range as the force applied to the truck airbrakes are not the same as an air actuator applying pressure to a hydraulic master cylinder.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On May 6, 2017 at 4:01 PM, rickeieio said:

I watched Steve Dixon and HeroMaker put the lines and glad hands on Steve's truck today.  We'll likely do my truck Monday.  I'm seriously considering doing as Heavymetal suggested, and make my trailer so any one can pull our trailer.  I'll also likely move the Jackalopee to the trailer, for the same reasons.  If we're on the road and my truck becomes in-operable, any truck, from an F-350 to a commercial hauler, can move my trailer safely.

Instead of the glad hands I used 1/2 couplers, easy to use and won't leak if they are not connected. 

2 Great Danes

Archived