Assistance on HDT issues I need to resolve

BlueLghtning

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

Just curios, but what did the grill set you back?

I found the grill for $38.99 and free shipping on ebay. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-96-03-Volvo-VNM-Sealed-Black-Right-Air-Intake-Grille-Replaces-8084166/122289377242?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D116901a8bd6a4141b3682f99f77ba8c7%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D182057708072

The gasket/seal was just a single auction. I found it for about $10 and free shipping

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

3 minutes ago, chief916 said:

you can remove your dogbone and take it to the shop owner your neighbor works for and I'm sure he knows someone who can press in the new bushings.  Here in eastern NC we can get this down for about $70. bucks or there about.

Okay good to know! 

When you start to remove the chrome top pipe I agree with Rickeieio. use the hammer and start gently. Then you can move to the cutting wheel. If you find that the top pipe is rotting when it joins the muffler (mine did and fell off while driving. Found it lying on the bed when I got to destination) you can just cut it off. This will shorten it about 5" and mine was still tall enough to be above everything. 

Have fun and enjoy yourself and now is the time to do many things before a bed is added.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Well, I had some success today taking off the exhaust on the truck. I started with my 1/2" impact and it was having none of it.

I called my buddy and he brought his 3/4" impact over and we started making progress. Sorry we got busy and forgot all about the camera, but here's the end result. We ended up pulling the support brackets too. I'll probably try to clean them up and repaint them. 

i-tFhqPWD-L.jpg

I still need to clean up the black soot on the back of the truck too, but my hose won't reach that far. 
i-khk6zsg-L.jpg

My front yard looked like something exploded. haha
i-bHChzjF-L.jpg

Very rotten muffler
i-KdBfP8z-L.jpg

i-LGKHr66-L.jpg

The guts that rotted out
i-kLjrDhJ-L.jpg

My wife Sarah got the broken part off the upswing pipe with a grinder wheel! Yeah
i-6q8NXmD-L.jpg

One of the clamps that holds the muffler on to the support bracket
i-H5B4cjW-L.jpg

We got the chrome pipe separated from the muffler with just a little work
i-xNZDnjT-L.jpg

Sarah was busy digging up some bushes we wanted out. I helped swing the axe a few times and then decided the Diesel Jeep CRD would make easy work of it. Surprisingly, the smaller one by the mailbox gave us much more issue coming out.
i-tRHSNpz-L.jpg

i-bvwDvkf-L.jpg

The new muffler comes in Monday and yes I have the open exhaust pipe covered with a trash bag. I'm gonna need a few new 5" clamps where they all join together and I gotta take a closer look at the clamps that hold the actualy muffler to bracket. Can you clean the bolts up if they are still good or just not worth the hassle and buy new ones? 

I did not realize I spent so much time in the sun today and got burnt too, but I'm pretty fair skinned too. It was a good day though! 

On 4/13/2017 at 4:36 PM, chief916 said:

you can remove your dogbone and take it to the shop owner your neighbor works for and I'm sure he knows someone who can press in the new bushings.  Here in eastern NC we can get this down for about $70. bucks or there about.

We started to pull this today, but then I started 2nd guessing myself about getting it back in there? Would the suspension/rear end settle when it was removed? Would I have to jack the truck up and/or use a crow bar to get it back aligned? What happens if I get stuck getting it back in there, then am I stuck having to have the truck towed to a shop? 

Looks like a good day.  Use a wire wheel on the bolts of the old clamps, smear a little anti-seize on the threads and re-use them.

I blocked up the rear end when I changed my "dogbone".  It was pretty easy.  Again, clean fasteners and apply anti-seize.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

19 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Looks like a good day.  Use a wire wheel on the bolts of the old clamps, smear a little anti-seize on the threads and re-use them.

I blocked up the rear end when I changed my "dogbone".  It was pretty easy.  Again, clean fasteners and apply anti-seize.

17 minutes ago, Mntom said:

You shouldn't have any problem with the rear end moving in relation to the frame to replace the torque arm. If need be you can always air up the suspension to give yourself a bit of "wiggle" room to install it. It really is a simple job.

Okay, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot then. It doesn't look tough, but I really didn't want to get myself into a spot I couldn't easily get out of. I can block up the rear end too. 

I bought all new clamps. They are cheap and I went with stainless steel on everything I could. I trucker friend told me to wrap aluminum foil around the joint before I put the clamp on. I did and I have no leaks so I guess it works. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

52 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

I bought all new clamps. They are cheap and I went with stainless steel on everything I could. I trucker friend told me to wrap aluminum foil around the joint before I put the clamp on. I did and I have no leaks so I guess it works. 

How many layers of aluminum foil?  I bought four brand new clamps and installed them on my exhaust flex pipes and every single one of them is leaking :-(

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

On April 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM, BlueLghtning said:

We got the chrome pipe separated from the muffler with just a little work

A piece of aluminum foil and lots of clean water will remove that surface rust very nicely. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

7 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

A piece of aluminum foil and lots of clean water will remove that surface rust very nicely. 

Great, because the new pipe came in and I need to start working on putting it all back together again! 

It was just a small quick fix, but it makes a nice difference when looking at the truck. The intake air grille and gasket came in. I see that this thing just snaps in place. I would imagine the old one probably got brittle and maybe one or more of the locking tabs just broke off allowing it to fall off. 

i-ts3FPv6-L.jpg

i-th7p4Rn-L.jpg

The new muffler came in too. 
i-fRNPpWj-L.jpg

i-QLPFbdL-L.jpg

I'm a little surprised at the condition & quality of this muffler, plus it already has a few battle scars and scrapes on it from handling before or during shipping. That's a heck of a weld on just one section of it? It looks like it didn't line up so they just laid a huge weld down to make it work.  

i-H42SB5v-L.jpg

i-kKCjqsC-L.jpg

That muffler is crap. I'd send it back.  It will work, but that is ridiculous.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On April 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM, Jeff.Sloan said:

How many layers of aluminum foil?  I bought four brand new clamps and installed them on my exhaust flex pipes and every single one of them is leaking :-(

Just wade it up in a ball and rub the rust. It works best if you keep a small amount of water trickling from the end of a water hose over it as you rub. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

7 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

That muffler is crap. I'd send it back.  It will work, but that is ridiculous.

6 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Yeah, I was quite surprised at the quality on it! 

Jack, thanks for the heads up. I called them and sent them pics showing them the issues including the awful welding and they are sending me a new one 2nd day air. He said he had never seen that before? He'll let me know what I need to do with the other one. 

4 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

use 000 or 0000 steel wool also, takes surface rust right off.

......and if you do, be sure to blow the surface off REAL well, or you'll have rust freckles in that white paint from the steel wool.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Archived