HDT Sighting: Toy Draggin - Louisiana

chooseopen

My family has been pretty curious ever since we bought our HDT. Today my brother called all excited because he spotted a Volvo hauler with a Smart. He saw it on I-10 heading west between Lafayette and Lake Charles.

Below are a couple photos he snapped:

https://goo.gl/photos/mZe5x6BePM3ttS719

https://goo.gl/photos/AscQmqcYg5wWKrrf8

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

We spoke yesterday, and they've had a couple of small issues, requiring an unplanned visit to Camping World, but are having fun. I'm sure he'll fill us in on the excitement.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I talked to him yesterday also. He should be nearing my little part of the country sometime today. Hope the rest of his trip is uneventful

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I hope Paul does not have any more fuel filter problems.

Paul I hope you and Paula have a good trip.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Pretty cool to have our picture on the forum. Choose Open, please convey our thanks to your family.

Yeah, the small issues have come up. We were staying at the KOA West about 10 miles from New Orleans. Nawlins idea of a wide road is a 9' driveway. I was able to pull into the campground ok, but because of the drunk next door and the telephone pole on the other side, had to turn left instead of right out of the spot. Got turned around by using the road corner and a strategically placed site pad. Went to pull out of the park from a 14' wide road onto a narrow divided highway. Scooted left, pulled out, waited, put the truck in the median, cut hard, and caught the end of a spindle on a street light. Took the big awning, the slide awning, and the smaller rear awning. 27 tiewraps and a couple of good whacks with a 3 pound beater rendered the mess safe enough to get to help. The camping world in Lafayette took most of the rest of the loose junk off. Onward to Houston the next day. Big5'er is now my hero. There were quiet words spoken and the rest of the junk on the side of the trailer went away. Will get an answer on an estimate on Monday sometime. My guess is somewhere just under pretty d@#$ expensive.

We're not even going to talk about the tv antenna that had to be replaced...

However..we have the fun knob safety wired to too much fun and if I can get the truck out of the mud we're going to go eat some big ol' Texas Gulf shrimp.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Really sorry you went to West KOA. We went there our first time in Narleans. We literally hated that park. I remember that turn well. We had our DRV then and a dually and I wasn't comfortable with that. We had people throwing bottles over the fence on our camper from the housing division. We didn't stay there long. Went to Poche in Convent.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, I have no idea where Poche in Convent is, but I will allow that for turns, it's probably better.

Got the estimate for the repairs today. Not as bad as I expected, but do have to wait on parts so we will be in the area longer than expected. Fortunately, most of that time will be in the Hill Country. With Luck and no shipping damage, we should back to the traveling road show by the middle of that week.

The people at Channelview Supply Co., the RV repair company I'm using have been just plain superb. They have recognized that we are on the road and have bent over backwards to minimize our down time. Not to mention being extremely careful to ensure that the correct parts got ordered. Amazing.

Also worthy of mention is our very own Big5'er. Once the issue was communicated to him, he was able to provide some support regarding directions, food, etc. And frankly, the moral support was worth more than any of the rest of it. Having someone familiar with both the area and what our trucks are likely to need was pretty wonderful.

In the midst of all this fun, we were able to get see my stepson in League City / Clearlake. Did I mention Oysters, shrimp, burgers, and other small snacks?

We stayed at the Galveston Bay RV Resort and Marina. Fairly new park and well done. Access roads are narrow and have some overhanging branches but can be overcome. Biggest issue is the number big sites. The majority of parks here are full of construction hands and it will get worse before it gets better. Big Expansion projects will be underway shortly.

More to follow

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

• 2 weeks later...

He should be nearing my little part of the country sometime today.

Big5er, you really weren't on your game the week of May 15th, were you? I passed through your "little part of the country" not once but twice that week -- westbound on Monday the 16th, and again eastbound on Friday the 20th -- and you missed me both times. :P

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Probably too busy drinking all that Dr. Pepper that Paul & Paula used to bribe their way through town :)

That steak dinner helped too. -_-

And you didn't even call, Phil.

Now I'm on a mission....hunt for Phil D...hunt for Phil D...hunt for Phil D :ph34r:

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Now I'm on a mission....hunt for Phil D...hunt for Phil D...hunt for Phil D :ph34r:

Well, I was in a big-assed hurry both times, so I couldn't call.

You'll likely have one more shot at me before you retire. I'm in northern Virginia working, and probably will be until sometime in November or so.

Happy hunting!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Paul and Paula

Could Miss Judy and I have your autograph please? .......

BaaaHaaaaaa !!! I'm glad everything's going to be OK.... If you're ever in OHIO and need anything, Big AL and I can "hook you up"

We're worthless nuts you know....

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Denver - Cut it out buddy, got so much help now I'll never get out from under it.

Went to Fredricksburg for our escape route. Their peaches don't hold a candle to Georgia Peaches...Sorry Texas. Talked to some younger folks about HDTs for quite a while & finally took them for a ride. Trying to do my part for the recruiting quota.

From Fredricksburg we sailed off to Lubbock. OK for the night

From Lubbock to Las Vegas, New Mexico. Based on the duplicity of the name, we shoulda known sumpthin was up. We pulled into the New Long Flat site that would not hold our rig. More campers showed up. Reverse in our transmission had died earlier that afternoon. About O Dark Thirty, I came wide awake when I realized that if they got any more campers, we would be trapped. Trees weren't trimmed, turns waaaayyyy to short. We reloaded the unridden motorcycles early this morning, hooked up, and tippy-toed around the exit road, thru several sites, around the maintaince shop, by the equipment shed, and just missed the water system. We didn't wave goodbye.

We are currently in Albuquerque, NM, and are gonna hole up here for a few days. The volvo dealer is only 4 miles away and he says he can look at it tomorrow. Acts like a sensor to me. Tries to go into reverse, then immediately pops out. Won't pull and the beeper sounds like the lunch shift at Micky D's.

But hey, We got the Fun Knob turn all the way up, can't have too much fun..

Keep the positive waves coming, we're using 'em up pretty quickly.

Paul & Paula

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Hey Paul, we're gonna go to Albuquerque after Hutch with the Church's. Let us know about the campground you are staying at. Think we are looking at Bernillo North KOA.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite,

We stayed there a few years ago....

It's an older park in the older part of town.

Sites are ok but on the smaller side and roads are narrow.

We stayed for a week visiting friends in the area.

Very busy on the weekends....

Suite,

We stayed there a few years ago....

It's an older park in the older part of town.

Sites are ok but on the smaller side and roads are narrow.

We stayed for a week visiting friends in the area.

Very busy on the weekends....

Thanks. Do you have another suggestion that might be better? Not going until October.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Paul and Paula

Could Miss Judy and I have your autograph please? .......

BaaaHaaaaaa !!! I'm glad everything's going to be OK.... If you're ever in OHIO and need anything, Big AL and I can "hook you up"

We're worthless nuts you know....

Hi Paul,

I hope everything is good. Like Denver said, if you need anything in Ohio we can help. Denver has the northwest section of the state and I have the northeast section.

See you sometime on the road,

Al

PS; If you need me, just send a p/m.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Suite;

We're with Geodog, we're staying at Enchanted Trails. Exit 154 (I think) on the west bound frontage road of I-40 W. Flat, level, take all credit cards, pretty laid back, 10 minutes to big grocery, 15 minutes to old town. It may not happen, but plan on dropping the trailer & putting the tractor in overflow. Put a rug down to cut down on rocks in the trailer. Camping world next door. Volvo 4 miles. We'll see how they do, we gave them the Toy Draggin this morning.

There is a "rail rider" light rail system to get you from Albuquerque to downtown Santa Fe. Also a ski lift style large aerial tram here somewhere. No chinese food but more mexican than you can shake a stick at. Not bad either.

Paul & Paula

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Thanks Paul. Please disregard the message I just sent you on your phone. Think that's where we will stay.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Paul,

I suppose you'll get the scooters out for a little spin? Check out the area around Taos and Angelfire. I've not been there, but hear it's great riding.

I had the Guzzi in North Carolina over the weekend. It's all I'd hoped for.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The road along the river from ABQ to Santa Fe is a great ride.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

The Volvo dealer thought they had the "no reverse" issue isolated to one pin on the wiring harness at about 09:30 this morning. It's now 18:30 & they have not called. I have started autographing all my folding money since I expect that to be our legacy of this trip. But thank each and everyone of you for your kind words and directions. In an effort to reduce risk, we are taking the rail rider train up to Santa Fe tomorrow. The saga continues..

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived