Cutting phone.internet costs

After Millenicom folded, I had 25G a month internet and 5 lines (2 phones, two tablets, one hotspot) on Verizon and my monthly bill was around $450. I use a lot of internet for research, but don't do much streaming so I decided to try to cut my costs without reducing capability.

Since I travel overseas a lot, I would have one month of no usage, then double up the next, hence the high data plan. I first switched to a T-Mobile plan with rollover. I got a 14G plan with rollover for $75 a month, dropped my Verizon program to 12G and my monthly Verizon bill dropped to $220. Phase one: saved some $150 a month, and I had a better program. BTW, T-Mobile has consistently worked well for me, even in the Texas back country. Most of the time, it is faster than my Verizon hotspot. And free streaming adds another capability.

Last week, I bought a Nexus 5X phone (on sale: $199 with a Project Fi plan). Now, I only pay for actual internet usage, and my monthly phone bill is $20 (per phone). The unique feature that so far has worked very well is that the phone will find and log into open networks, so much of the time you have no data usage. I called my sister in Holland, excellent phone connection, and it cost $0.01 per minute. And I can use phone and data in 120 foreign countries, although overseas it is at 3G speeds.

Next month I will be in Europe, so I can test the phone and data coverage there. More importantly, this summer I will be mostly in Colorado, really looking forward to see it it all works there as well. If so, I will complete my switch from Verizon (and still keep the same phone number, too).

If the switch goes through, I will have my T-Mobile hotspot ($75) plus two phones ($40 plus $30 data) dropping my internet and phone costs to $145 plus tax, which I think is acceptable.

One note about the Nexus 5X, it has a superb fingerprint reader, even better than the Apple and Samsung. I also use LastPass to encrypt all my passwords, and the fingerprint reader makes it super simple to find and log into any site with super secure passwords.

Maybe my long research and willingness to experiment will help someone else trying to cut phone/internet costs.

== John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Thank you for sharing. We start traveling more intensely this coming April 30 after the DW retires and expect to need more data usage during our out and abouts. We currently have Consumer Cellular, which is reasonably priced, uses the AT&T network, and works fine 98% of the time in past areas of travel. The current data plans available from CC max out at 4GB per month so I can see us needing more for e-mail, general web surfing, when out for lengthy periods of time. Don't stream movies and stuff as that just doesn't appeal to me as they definitely are data hogs and can't see watching something like that on the screen of a smart phone or table. :wacko: Will definitely look at T-Mobile as I've heard that their coverage has been improving.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

John, that sounds like a good way forward, for you. I don't know if it would work for us, but I'll think about it some more. Right now I have 42 gig a month on V data plan. That is 20 gig cost (got the double data) plus 2 gig for their app that they are pushing for streaming. The Project Fi stuff sounds interesting but I'm not convinced quite yet. I NEED connectivity, and I'm not sure I get it with that. For example, no real data coverage out West on most of the Interstates in the boondocks, while Verizon has them covered (mostly) with 4G. And I KNOW T Mobile does not work for me for a replacement for Verizon data. But I've been thinking of it as a supplement. Verizon towers where I frequent seem to be pretty crowded nowadays. My average speeds (which I track over time) have been steadily declining.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

John, looking forward to following your experience as you cover Colorado etc. We are trying to trim our proposed budgets for FTing by year end, and right now looks like pay as you go Verizon MIFI, expensive USA travel add on from our Bell service in Canada for several months of the year are our only options. Be wonderful to be able to have one "affordable/fair priced" phone/data package to cover both countries with good coverage for the most part.

Thanks for sharing as you are on your experience with T-Mobile/FI.

FTW.

• 5 months later...

. . . . We currently have Consumer Cellular, which is reasonably priced, uses the AT&T network, and works fine 98% of the time in past areas of travel. The current data plans available from CC max out at 4GB per month so I can see us needing more for e-mail, general web surfing, when out for lengthy periods of time. . . . . . Will definitely look at T-Mobile as I've heard that their coverage has been improving.

I'm still on contract with Verizon, at $67/mo for 1gb data and unlimited texts/phone on an iPhone 6s. Friends have been telling me how much they love Consumer Cellular. But, they rarely travel, so don't have a problem with connecting through ATT or T-Mobile, which are the 2 networks CC uses.

I need to cut my costs also. It's not a problem when I'm around wi-fi, but I'm realizing I run out of data quickly while traveling.

So my QUESTION: Since I live in the west, I've heard, and as FTW and LindH mention above, many people don't have much luck with ATT in many areas of the western states. How about T-Mobile? Does anyone have experience with their connectivity in the west? It would be nice to go CC, as their costs are much more affordable.

John, I'm looking forward to hearing how your experience at cost-cutting evolves.

Cheers,

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

gypsydan: T-Mobile has worse coverage than AT&T out west. An example is T-Mobile is 2G in Florence OR, but AT&T works fine.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We have Cricket which is ATT and haven't had any problems in all our travels. Now T-Mobile is another story. We have no coverage most of the time, even in our S&B. We have a T-Mobile phone just to have a different carrier in an emergency but their coverage seems to be poor wherever we are. We had thought they would be better than Sprint, but no. I would stick with ATT or Verizon.

When we lost millicom (never can spell that right) we went with AT&T reluctantly. It has work fairly well. Only area a problem is Escapees in Livingston and Cleveland area. Our daughter lives there and sometimes we have signal. At park signal was low or none. Spotty? They were offering double data at that time and now roll over. I want a Windows based phone and considering getting a Verizon phone just for me and that would give us coverage most anywhere their is cellular.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

T-Mobile's coverage has improved significantly over the last year or so, but to take full advantage of it requires a device that can use Band 12. Check the specs carefully before choosing a hotspot, etc...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just over on t-mobile web site. Impressive. Any lately got it and reported on the updated coverage? I can see us possibly going in Oklahoma, Louisiana, west Texas, south Texas. Could use a lot less money with them.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Verizon More everything 40G 2 smart phones, 2 tablets, Verizon hot spot. 255.76

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

gypsydan: T-Mobile has worse coverage than AT&T out west. An example is T-Mobile is 2G in Florence OR, but AT&T works fine.

Thanks Bill. I just spent 3-months north of Florence. Glad I was on Verizon, as I had zero problems with connectivity. I guess this is why I stay with Verizon.

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Thanks Bill. I just spent 3-months north of Florence. Glad I was on Verizon, as I had zero problems with connectivity. I guess this is why I stay with Verizon.

I recently picked up a T-Mobile smartphone in addition to my Verizon plan and found T-Mobile was almost unusable when we took a day trip to Florence last week. Verizon worked and past experience with AT&T said it also works in Florence.

T-Mobile and AT&T are much better around the Port Townsend WA area than Verizon, which is where we are spending a lot of time staying at the SKP park. Due to some elder family issues, I need to be able to receive calls and too many times when we were out and about, including visiting someone else at the SKP park so our Maxamp booster was no help, my phone would not ring and a while later I would get a voice mail notice. I went with a T-Mobile smartphone to stream video, but could have gone with a dumb phone from Consumer Cellular or others on the AT&T network to save money.

It is hard to keep up with the changes. In July Verizon changed their plans and we are saving $25 a month for our 40GB plan, plus getting roll over and Canada/Mexican service. T-Mobile is changing plans in a few days, so the plan we got will be legacy. Oh well, we will be back at the SKP park in a couple weeks and will be glad we have the T-Mobile phone.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

To get the iPhone 6s+!i had to sign another 2-yr contract. Had been off contract for 5-yrs, and really hated to go back on. But I knew I had to stay with Verizon because of their connectivity, but the price for what I'm getting is not worth it. I've actually thought about jumping to one of the cheaper carriers and do like Bill Joyce did with Consumer Cellular.

Small world. I've spotted the Bill Joyce RV on the roll behind us at Evergreen after reading his post. (Will try to catch him over the next few days to say Hi!)

And agree with Bill's comments about coverage in this area. We have ATT for my wife, and she gets OK voice and sluggish but useable data. I have Verizon, and use our S6 as our primary Hot Spot. It's been a hit or miss here. While I seem to always have a useable signal, believe the cell tower gets overloaded, as sometimes I could go out and wax the side of the coach between internet page painting:)!

For this reason, we extended our Millenicom 22GB Data Only (But they also have voice an data plans to.) via our ZTE Z-917 HotSpot supported by T-Mobile. Not blazing fast, but along with the Max Signal Amp - we find it to be a much better signal consistency and usability over Verizon - at least in this location.

It really is good to have multiple tools in your internet and voice tool box. I like that Millenicom is back, as not contract, and they're easy to work with on starting back up service for a month. (Though I do need to check with them. As my Z-917 was still active from when we had it fro in Canada over July and August. I had it set to stop at the end of August, but extended it thru September due to the hit and miss of Verizon data. Not sure if when it is off, if I'll need to have them send me a new SIM to start back up again, or not(?). So will check that over the next week so that I know, and can plan accordingly.) If we were not going to be here at least a month, I would not have paid to continue this. We would have limped along with the spotty coverage of Verizon in this area, and yeah - probably survived:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

"Small world. I've spotted the Bill Joyce RV on the roll behind us at Evergreen after reading his post. (Will try to catch him over the next few days to say Hi!)"

We are not there right now, but will be back on the 19th. There is a lot with a virtually identical motorhome to ours.

No wonder he looked at me a bit funny. I kept calling him 'Bill', and thanking him for all of his great posts over the years. Finally he just started nodding his head, and invited me in for a drink. Told me to have 'Bill' cover my tab...

So, when you're back in the park, stop by 'THEJRNY' Country Coach, and I'll let you know the site you owe the 'Non Bill' the funds for:)!

(Rode my bike by today, and again no one was around this Dutch Star. Lot's were away for the three day weekend. Hope all goes well as possible on the family front.)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Don't regret moving from Verizon to Cricket . My bill is 66% less and I am very happy with performance .

How long have you been with Crucket. Have you found remote places you can't make connections? Which carrier lines do they use? Do you have a hotspot, and how is its connection?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been hearing about cricket for years, but have never talk to anyone about their service or connectivity.

Cheers, Dan

Cricket is a subsidiary of ATT so they are on the ATT network. Prior to Cricket I had Straight Talk, also on the ATT network. We have had no problems with Cricket at all. I use my phone as a hot spot(not all their phones are hot spot capable, there is a list) and have had no problems at all. I like the idea of 10g a month, much more than other company and plenty for our use. Also, you aren't' cut off after using 10g, just a major slow down. Cricket is suppose to work in Canada and Mexico also, haven't tested that yet.

The biggest problem with Cricket is finding a credit card they will accept. They have a very fussy system. If the address you entered doesn't match precisely to what they compare it to the card is rejected. If you sign up online the system just doesn't accept the card and doesn't give a reason. Signing up via phone is similar. Just keep trying cards. Once you find one that is accepted for the initial purchase then you can change to your regular card. Stupid system...........

Cricket is a subsidiary of ATT so they are on the ATT network. Prior to Cricket I had Straight Talk, also on the ATT network. We have had no problems with Cricket at all. I use my phone as a hot spot(not all their phones are hot spot capable, there is a list) and have had no problems at all. I like the idea of 10g a month, much more than other company and plenty for our use. Also, you aren't' cut off after using 10g, just a major slow down. Cricket is suppose to work in Canada and Mexico also, haven't tested that yet.

The biggest problem with Cricket is finding a credit card they will accept. They have a very fussy system. If the address you entered doesn't match precisely to what they compare it to the card is rejected. If you sign up online the system just doesn't accept the card and doesn't give a reason. Signing up via phone is similar. Just keep trying cards. Once you find one that is accepted for the initial purchase then you can change to your regular card. Stupid system...........

I have some relatives that really like Cricket, except they can't receive photos via text. They can send them just not receive them. This is anytime, not just when they are over their data limit. That would be a no go for me.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

How long have you been with Crucket. Have you found remote places you can't make connections? Which carrier lines do they use? Do you have a hotspot, and how is its connection?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been hearing about cricket for years, but have never talk to anyone about their service or connectivity.

Cheers, Dan

Been with them 4 months now. They are now owned by AT&T now . And use the whole AT&T network. Also the plans include Canada and Mexico as well

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

I have some relatives that really like Cricket, except they can't receive photos via text. They can send them just not receive them. This is anytime, not just when they are over their data limit. That would be a no go for me.

Never had a problem sending pictures or receiving them while texting with Cricket! Sometime it takes longer for the receiver to get them, but they go through!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived