Best way to see ECR

jpar19

Hi all,

I was just wondering, for those attending the ECR as a spectator, what's the best way to get around to look at everything. It looks like the campground is kinda large and would be a pretty long walk. I have a bunch of questions on how members built their trucks but I didn't want to just invade their campsites. Can someone give me some insights on the best way to take in the event?

thanks all

I would suggest a bike but they rent golf carts for $30 a day. Are you going to be in a hurry or will you be able to enjoy a bunch of great looking and functional trucks? Hope you can pull up a seat and sit for a while. You will enjoy and learn while listening to the conversation. Site 404. Stop by. Hope to see you there. Pat

The Old Sailor

Thank you for the reply. The golf cart sounds like a great way to go! Thank you for the invitation and would love to pull up a chair and chat. I have a truck (just beginning to complete some of the mods) but our new 5'er won't arrive on time. Didn't want too make too big a pest of myself. I only have a few thousand questions. I was very excited to meet Gregg, Mark and Jack at the Tampa show but I didn't bend their ear too much as they were there for work and I didn't want to bug them too much. Looking forward to the event. I really enjoyed going through the picture gallery of past events.

Thanks again

Jerry Parrott

Most of the HDT'S will be parked in the rear section and there will be many things happening in that area. Other things will be st the pavilion on the other side of the lake and you can easily walk it by taking the shortcut over the Dam. Last year the wife was recovering from a broken foot so we just drove the HDT over. Some people run their smart cars. We Also bring our bicycles and will use them. Or bum a ride from someone with a golf cart. Many options are available

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We did the same thing two years ago. We stayed in one of the cabins near the HDT campsites. We walked the sites and talked to all the owners. All were extremely friendly and helpful. I took a lot of pictures, too. The pavilion was a good hike so we drove the car.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

jpar19,

As Dave said above everything will be concentrated in the back loop so you won't need to walk or drive the whole park. Easy to walk that entire loop so a golf cart wouldn't even be necessary. We are hoping to have a big event tent erected in the loop so will be very little if any use of the pavilion across the lake. But getting to the pavilion is also not a terribly long walk across the dam. Ask questions, if you're married, have your wife attend the special ladies functions (RDBE, Gregg's ladies only presentation) and you will come away knowing how much a "family " HDTers really are.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thank you for the reply. The golf cart sounds like a great way to go! Thank you for the invitation and would love to pull up a chair and chat. I have a truck (just beginning to complete some of the mods) but our new 5'er won't arrive on time. Didn't want too make too big a pest of myself. I only have a few thousand questions. I was very excited to meet Gregg, Mark and Jack at the Tampa show but I didn't bend their ear too much as they were there for work and I didn't want to bug them too much. Looking forward to the event. I really enjoyed going through the picture gallery of past events.

Thanks again

Jerry Parrott

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. It would be nice to see you and answer any questions that I could answer. It would be great if you could spend a couple of days at the rally. The nice thing about this year's rally, that Gregg will be there. Bring your list of questions. Everybody will be more than willing to answer them for you. I still have a lot of question myself. This would be the rally to go to. The right people will be there. I think that I will be on site 315, so stop by. This is a great group of people. More than willing to help you. At one time we were where you are today.

Good luck with your build,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Come on and visit any site. Never met an HDT owner that doesn't love talking trucks!!

Your welcome to crawl around and ask what you wish on our rig anytime.

See you there

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thank you all for your replies and kind invitations. I have been having a ball playing with the new truck and learning about the systems while I do the mods. I love the how to videos (thanks Gregg and Jack) I'm looking forward to seeing the different ways the members have set up their rigs. Looking forward to a great event

If somebody opens a hood or starts to fiddle with anything on their truck, he is not going to be alone for very long. An open hood is literally a open invitation to talk to a old friend or make a new one. Even those of us who have owned a truck for several years still can't help ourselves to find out what somebody else is working on. We even learn new things about the trucks or projects we are currently working on or considering. Or worse yet we learn of a better way to do something then the way we have already done it.

The only time somebody might consider you bothering them is when they first arrive and are trying to setup and unhitch. They are tried from the road and nobody likes distractions as they are setting up the trailer. I always tell anybody that has questions while I am setting up to wait. Once you see the beer in my hand then you know I am done with setup and ready to talk. Unloading/loading of vehicles always draw a crowd since almost every setup is different. Most don't mind the audience but let them finish so that they do not get distracted and forget something.

Enjoy the rally. The week will go by quickly but there is always plenty of time to see all the trucks. Come on by I am always more than happy to show off what I think I have done both right and wrong with my truck. If you are interested in a truck with a auto shift transmission we can go for a ride. My wife also offers the same for the ladies. She has even taught a few women who already have a truck but for the sake of their marriage do not want to learn from their husband (that is how my wife learned to drive the truck) how to drive.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

" I only have a few thousand questions." Don't worry; we've all been there. I attended the first time two years ago and stayed in one of the rental cabins. I am SOOOOOO happy I went! I wound up getting a new 2015 Super C, Class 7 HDT, Dynamax DX3-37RB. David Dixon has a Class 8, Volvo based Super C. EVERYBODY who attends is great about showing off their rig. Be prepared to take lots of notes. The seminars have always been fantastic too. As RickW mentioned, a raised hood is an open invitation. Looking forward to meeting you at the rally. CONGRATULATIONS and, WELCOME

Thanks to all. It's great to see so many welcoming folks. After lurking around the site and watching all the videos and how-to's, we bought a 2010 VNL 630 that had just turned 500K. It doesn't have fairings (which I think look really good on the trucks) but the dyno, oil check and service records were fantastic. Plus, the Peterbilt dealer wanted to get rid of a Volvo on his lot, so we think we bought it fairly right. We're installing aluminum wheels and polishing the tanks for a little more bling. It does have the D13 and I-shift that the DW will be able to learn to drive. My background in heavy trucks is limited to Fire Trucks (a much different animal than a freight hauler) so I have a lot to learn. To date, I have installed a jackalopee, back-up camera system, led work lights, and a direct link brake controller. Plus, I installed a hitch ( I know from all the prior posts, that's a good way to start a heated discussion. LOL Let's just say I didn't go where the forum folks generally go, strictly due to a timing and availability situation. No disrespect meant to anyone on the forum. In the process I may end up being the crash test dummy for this system. I'll keep you posted on what I learn about it in actual usage.

Look forward to seeing some great trucks and friendly folks.

Carry a pen and paper. If you see a group go have a seat. They will introduce themselves. You won't remember their names but that is ok. You will feel very welcome. Ask who is letting people drive their trucks and check it out. Ask to look inside. Don't worry about joining ant group, you are more than welcome.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Yup, welcome JP. If you really want to get into it, just go to where you hear pounding and impact guns.

Carry with you the essential maintenance tools like a hammer and crowbar, bingo, we will see your feet

sticking out from under a truck too. 8-)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Welcome, trust me you will find plenty to look at and ask questions, I am pretty sure all will welcome you, In know last year at the ECR my rig was under constant watch as Henry & Tom installed my ET. This year I get to watch all the activity at the rally and make a list of things I want to get done. See you there, I am one of the Non Volvo's there, LOL

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

This will be our first ECR and our first rally with our rig. We attended the October 2014 National Rally without anything but our questions. There we met a lot of great folks, saw a bunch of awesome rigs, and got a ton of ideas. Came away with a firm decision to go with an HDT and in February we ordered THOR, a 2010 Volvo 670. In April we ordered a 2016 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites (which was delivered finally on Nov 4). We got the Smart, "Loki," in Linden, UT in September and drove it to meet up with Gregg Shields in Rapid City, SD where we finally got to meet THOR. We would have never got this far if it hadn't been for the warm and helpful members of the HDT community and we have every expectation we will have a similar experience at the ECR. Looking forward to meeting more new friends!

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

This will be our first ECR and our first rally with our rig. We attended the October 2014 National Rally without anything but our questions. There we met a lot of great folks, saw a bunch of awesome rigs, and got a ton of ideas. Came away with a firm decision to go with an HDT and in February we ordered THOR, a 2010 Volvo 670. In April we ordered a 2016 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites (which was delivered finally on Nov 4). We got the Smart, "Loki," in Linden, UT in September and drove it to meet up with Gregg Shields in Rapid City, SD where we finally got to meet THOR. We would have never got this far if it hadn't been for the warm and helpful members of the HDT community and we have every expectation we will have a similar experience at the ECR. Looking forward to meeting more new friends!

Can't wait to see how your rig turned out after taking so long. I bet it looks similar to ours :) Looking forward to seeing both of you again.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived