Which fuel additive should I be using?

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

As some of you know I have had a bit of trouble this year with fuel injectors. I have everything working now and have been told that I should be running fuel additives because of the low Sulfur fuel removing lubrication. I add Cetane booster on occasion but is there something specific I should be adding to the tank? I checked the forum but did not see anything with specific names. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

2 schools of thought-

1- Add Power Service, Lucas, or anything helps with the lubrication

2- If you run any Bio-Diesel, the veggie oil mix replaces the lost lube. It also cleans lines, pumps, injectors, etc.

I can tell the difference when I fill at a Murphys VS big truck stop that runs pure diesel. The Bio at Murphys gives me a little less mpg- .01-.02, but I get no soot, less engine rattle, and injector noise with it.

Murphys, Race Trac, Speedway all run B-5.

Just so there's no confusion, we have a '98 Volvo with the M-11 engine. No EGR, no cat, no extra emission stuff. The newer engines may react different.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 schools of thought-

2- If you run any Bio-Diesel, the veggie oil mix replaces the lost lube. It also cleans lines, pumps, injectors, etc.

I can tell the difference when I fill at a Murphys VS big truck stop that runs pure diesel. The Bio at Murphys gives me a little less mpg- .01-.02, but I get no soot, less engine rattle, and injector noise with it.

Just so there's no confusion, we have a '98 Volvo with the M-11 engine. No EGR, no cat, no extra emission stuff. The newer engines may react different.

I have had the same experience in both my ford F350's (7.3 & 6.0) and my IH with DT466. I run out of a bulk tank stored at home most of the time where I blend B20 with my regular fuel to a B5. Wish I could get B100 in my area for blending.

Who told you to use an additive, and what did they recommend? Most (all?) additives are only good for separating the purchaser from his money.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Brad,

No expert but the only thing I add is a Power Services biologic if I'm going to be sitting for awhile. Keeps the "slime" from forming. Not necessary if your are driving enough to keep replacing the fuel.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

A deisel mechanic in Utah told me that with Low Sulphur fuels it could ruin injectors on older engines. He swore by and highly recommended "FPPF" Deisel Injector Cleaner.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

In the real world of trucking the only reason for an additive is to prevent fuel gelling at very cold temps. None of the mega carriers will even authorize the charge on a fuel ticket unless it is below zero.

But, HDT trucks are a different service. Water accumulation from condensation over periods of non use. I noticed it recently when I took most of the winter off in Summerdale, went back to trucking and had to replace fuel filters well ahead of normal service interval.

Pick out the reputable water dispursing additive of your choice and use it when you start driving again after a period of sitting (more than 2 weeks ) or if symptoms develop. The only thing you can hurt is your wallet.

The low sulfur creating lack of lubrication is a non issue. If it were a problem trucking companies would be buying injectors, they aren't. I have replaced 1 injector in 1.7 million miles.

The additives have a powerful placebo effect. Don't get hooked.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Non emission truck I use Power service to get Cetane boost and winter coverage. Some lube effect too.

Never an issue with cold temps in 9 yrs. Truck parked all summer now used to be parked all winter in cold. Now on the road in winter. Fuel sits for long periods. Filters once a year seems to work well.

Friend told a funny story about a gent we all know here ha. He was in Wally World watching s guy looking at Lucus fuel treatment. He asked our friend is this stuff good? Our friend opened it stuck his finger in it and tasted it. Said yup it's fine Lol.

Vegetable Oil. He said.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Being in the Marine industry I have seen additives come and go. Have tried many, have talked with many that have tried many.

The "only" one that I would recommend is Soltron. Period! Not the imitation Startron. But the original "Soltron". This stuff works! It does more than "treat" the fuel. But don't take my word, research it yourself.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

2 schools of thought-

Not sure about the other major's but Pilot/FJ uses a bio blend. IIRC up to 10%

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Like Jeff, I only use an additive to break up water. It may or may not do anything else. If it does, great. But I use it for water and algae.

Believe me, water can be a big issue in trucks that sit a lot.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The additives have a powerful placebo effect. Don't get hooked.

This says it best.

About the only thing I do use on occasion, as needed, is Sea Foam, but that's just because it's what I keep on hand as a "do it all" treatment/cleaner. Cleans, lubes, stabilizes, water control, etc. and can be used in gas, diesel, oil, trans, power steering, etc etc fluids.

Research on Diesel Additives

I use to use Opti-Lube Summer Blend in mine. #4 in the test.

But I quit using it over a year ago. As now almost all Flying J/Pilot add Bio, which is #1 in the test for lubricant.

I still add some biocide at times to stop any Algae growth.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived