Which fuel additive should I be using?

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

As some of you know I have had a bit of trouble this year with fuel injectors. I have everything working now and have been told that I should be running fuel additives because of the low Sulfur fuel removing lubrication. I add Cetane booster on occasion but is there something specific I should be adding to the tank? I checked the forum but did not see anything with specific names. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

2 schools of thought-

1- Add Power Service, Lucas, or anything helps with the lubrication

2- If you run any Bio-Diesel, the veggie oil mix replaces the lost lube. It also cleans lines, pumps, injectors, etc.

I can tell the difference when I fill at a Murphys VS big truck stop that runs pure diesel. The Bio at Murphys gives me a little less mpg- .01-.02, but I get no soot, less engine rattle, and injector noise with it.

Murphys, Race Trac, Speedway all run B-5.

Just so there's no confusion, we have a '98 Volvo with the M-11 engine. No EGR, no cat, no extra emission stuff. The newer engines may react different.

2 schools of thought-

2- If you run any Bio-Diesel, the veggie oil mix replaces the lost lube. It also cleans lines, pumps, injectors, etc.

I can tell the difference when I fill at a Murphys VS big truck stop that runs pure diesel. The Bio at Murphys gives me a little less mpg- .01-.02, but I get no soot, less engine rattle, and injector noise with it.

Just so there's no confusion, we have a '98 Volvo with the M-11 engine. No EGR, no cat, no extra emission stuff. The newer engines may react different.

I have had the same experience in both my ford F350's (7.3 & 6.0) and my IH with DT466. I run out of a bulk tank stored at home most of the time where I blend B20 with my regular fuel to a B5. Wish I could get B100 in my area for blending.

In the real world of trucking the only reason for an additive is to prevent fuel gelling at very cold temps. None of the mega carriers will even authorize the charge on a fuel ticket unless it is below zero.

But, HDT trucks are a different service. Water accumulation from condensation over periods of non use. I noticed it recently when I took most of the winter off in Summerdale, went back to trucking and had to replace fuel filters well ahead of normal service interval.

Pick out the reputable water dispursing additive of your choice and use it when you start driving again after a period of sitting (more than 2 weeks ) or if symptoms develop. The only thing you can hurt is your wallet.

The low sulfur creating lack of lubrication is a non issue. If it were a problem trucking companies would be buying injectors, they aren't. I have replaced 1 injector in 1.7 million miles.

The additives have a powerful placebo effect. Don't get hooked.

Non emission truck I use Power service to get Cetane boost and winter coverage. Some lube effect too.

Never an issue with cold temps in 9 yrs. Truck parked all summer now used to be parked all winter in cold. Now on the road in winter. Fuel sits for long periods. Filters once a year seems to work well.

Friend told a funny story about a gent we all know here ha. He was in Wally World watching s guy looking at Lucus fuel treatment. He asked our friend is this stuff good? Our friend opened it stuck his finger in it and tasted it. Said yup it's fine Lol.

Vegetable Oil. He said.

Being in the Marine industry I have seen additives come and go. Have tried many, have talked with many that have tried many.

The "only" one that I would recommend is Soltron. Period! Not the imitation Startron. But the original "Soltron". This stuff works! It does more than "treat" the fuel. But don't take my word, research it yourself.

Curt

2 schools of thought-

Not sure about the other major's but Pilot/FJ uses a bio blend. IIRC up to 10%

The additives have a powerful placebo effect. Don't get hooked.

This says it best.

About the only thing I do use on occasion, as needed, is Sea Foam, but that's just because it's what I keep on hand as a "do it all" treatment/cleaner. Cleans, lubes, stabilizes, water control, etc. and can be used in gas, diesel, oil, trans, power steering, etc etc fluids.

Archived