Roll-Up Door for Drom Box

bmzero

I'm looking to build (or hopefully buy) a drom box for my truck to go between the two exhaust stacks. I would really like to have a roll up door on it so that the contents of the box would be somewhat accessible with a vehicle loaded on the bed platform.

I have seen some photos on here of this type of setup, so I know it has been done, but for the life of me, I can't find any information or photos on that now. Any suggestions?

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

This is what I would like to do too. I think STRONGHOLD cabinets has some info. They will do custom. Maybe you can glean some info from them!

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

JW put a rollup door on Bob and Sue Guthrie's drom. It is quite nice....but pretty pricey.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Brit,

Bob Guthrie has one on his drom. He will be at ECR and he can probably give you some info. I will email you JW Morgan's email. He built his drom and might be able to help also.

Edit: Jack beat me to the post. Will still email you.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Maybe I could build the cabinet so that the doors just slide straight up. I don't think I have ever parked in a spot where vertical clearance is an issue. That would be cheap, easy, and water tight.

Brit,

Bob Guthrie has one on his drom. He will be at ECR and he can probably give you some info. I will email you JW Morgan's email. He built his drom and might be able to help also.

Thanks

Suppliers for Fire Apparatus are going to be your best bet. Yes they will be pricey but good quality. The roll up doors work great in urban areas where a swinging door can be an issue but because of price some departments still spec swinging doors.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Maybe I could build the cabinet so that the doors just slide straight up. I don't think I have ever parked in a spot where vertical clearance is an issue. That would be cheap, easy, and water tight.

Thanks

You might consider a multi sectional slide up door . That should negate any concern of clearance .

Goes around , comes around .

You might consider a multi sectional slide up door . That should negate any concern of clearance .

My current train of thought is to use traditional hinged doors with vertical sliding access panels in each of the two doors. When the vehicle is not loaded, access would be with the traditional hinged doors. If access is needed while the vehicle is loaded, one of the access panels could be slid upward. Keeping it water tight is my only concern, which shouldn't be difficult at all.

We have used a couple different door companies on our fire trucks over the years. The ROM doors are by far the best. The other ones tend to bind on the tracks over time and make it difficult to open/close.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Not sure if a commercial style roll up door like what is used in warehouses would meet your needs but they can be pretty cost EFFECTIVE.

Try Overhead Door, Porvene or Janus. Might have to buy through a dealer but these are what is most often used in those applications. I work in those environments so I have seen them.

I also know that an 8'X8' can be had for around $350 new. CL might have NOS or overstock doors that can be bought for ~$100-$150 depending on size. Be careful to consider the barrel size when the door is completely open. This is assuming that the barrel would be installed inside. These are typically called sheet doors. Sectional doors would not work as you expect for you application.

Marcel

Marcel

My current train of thought is to use traditional hinged doors with vertical sliding access panels in each of the two doors. When the vehicle is not loaded, access would be with the traditional hinged doors. If access is needed while the vehicle is loaded, one of the access panels could be slid upward. Keeping it water tight is my only concern, which shouldn't be difficult at all.

I can see that . Fairly inexpensive and effective .

Goes around , comes around .

Look at some compartment doors on travel busses. Many use a lift up door for their luggage compartments. Maybe borrow the hardware from a wrecked one.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Side door from a retired beverage truck. You'll need to make your own track, and the term "waterproof" might be applied loosely. But, it would be cheap, and would prove, or dis-prove, the concept.

Dang, I just scrapped out an old Dr. Pepper truck a couple of years ago. It had six regular doors and two wider ones over the drive axles.

Oh, they're aluminum, so you'll need Charlie to come buff 'em for ya.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Check out Visone RV parts in KY. They show some used parts that might be modified or reverse engineered.

Maybe a good day trip from the ECR as it looks to be about 3 hours away.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I researched this a few years ago. ROM have the best selection/options. They were all very expensive and take up a lot of room inside the box. I may still have the quote around.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

If you can live with the width, a roll top bed cover would be a good substitute for a tambor door.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

When the Dollytrolley became part of the "horse-support-motor-pool" it came with a 4 ft full height coffin sleeper mounted backwards so that the cab opening was at bed level and side sliding double barn type doors that were 6 ft H X 6ft W that are very nice for loading all manner of large cargo.......BUT by far the best loved feature are the two side doors that are 42" W X 76" H that are so nice to access at street level for various truck and RV items needed for quick camp setup or break down. The curb side side door has a 10 drawer full size top chest tool box and both sides have 110 VAC , 12VDC and truck compressed air chucks and LED work lights that flood light both sides of the truck and trailer for night service work ( or stealing diesel form other trucks at the truck stop late at night).

Now the downside.........a 8ft X H X +8Ft W X 4ft Deep DROM is a very tempting space for friends to ask for space to haul such things as HD Sportsters , Honda Quads, TWO 300 HP Merc Varados and the list never ends. Of course there is also Dolly-the-paint-horse.....of course as horse has plenty of "NEEDS" like 1,000 of feed , 500 lbs of tack, a 330 gal tote of water and whatever additional do-dads any pretty nag needs to impress the rest of the nags.........one upside is that the floor of the DROM has a trapdoor access to the truck batteries but the downside is if 1,000 lbs of horse feed and 330 gal of water is setting on the trap door it's a bit of a bummer........

Now if we are scheduled for a longer "Dolly-Expedition" we sling the 8ft X 12ft flat bed and coffin-sleeper-DROM off and slide Morgan GVMD109 X 20 ft long Cargo Van (Ex-Ryder) with a 8ft W X 103" H roll up back door and a 40" W X 100" H curb-side door......The upside of this cargo box is that we can haul every thing that the coffin-sleeper can haul AND our 1980 Full Size GMC Jimmy plus a whole lot more junk and the best part is that when we set-up Dolly camp and unload the big box we now have a +8 ft W X +9ft H X 20 FOOT LONG room that makes most toy-haulers look pretty wimpy

Now the DOWNSIDE of too-big-of-a-box...........all of a sudden the friends of your friends of your friends want to be.......your friend......trust me you do NOT want to get into the haul-business with a Motor Home plated HDT it just aint cool and likely the 20 ft box could not hold enough Dr Pepper to get you out of the ticket book.....(well 20 ft of Dr Pepper is a lot of pop)........anyhow just stand firm and give the "friends" the U-haul or Ryder rent-a-truck number...........

Morgan are nice folks that will build a nice box even custom side door Smart-car garages for a fair price and they include the doors of your choice.........

As you know from your race days enclosed space has as lot of merit......

Drive on..........(Doors, doors and more......doors)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

That's what I like about these trucks, the flexibility to make them work for everyone's specific needs. A LGT does not provide that flexibility.

For my needs, I would not need a very large drom box. I may not need one at all, but I hate wasted space. I'm going to build the brackets for the exhaust stacks into the side of the drom box. Basically, I'll be replacing the exhaust stack cross brace with a drom box. It will sit pretty tight against the back of the cab (with room for cab to move, of course). It should be about 12-14" deep, and 6' tall. It looks like I'll be making it all myself since finding one that is perfect isn't going to happen.

For my needs, I would not need a very large drom box. I may not need one at all, but I hate wasted spac

Build it you will fill it!

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I look forward to what you build....you always come up with some exotic and VERY cool stuff. Things I would not think of. So I look forward to your drom....maybe I will model my next one after yours..... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

For my needs, I would not need a very large drom box. I may not need one at all, but I hate wasted spac

Build it you will fill it!

Don't we know it Rick.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

JW ,ran quite a thread during that build discussing the roll up doors. Besides the cost, his general comment was that if another customer wanted these he would never under any circumstances agree to install these again. Apparently it was a bear, with the wrong parts (or hardware) supplied, lousy instruction, they took too much space when rolled up, etc. He was not a happy camper, indicating that it was not a good product installing it for a customer in a reasonable number of hours, for which you are going to get compensated.

Now, for a one off "challenge", where number of (free, uncompensated) hours is immaterial, these are great!

Nice that we have " young guns" like Brit that are so creative but I must say losing JW Morgan was a blow to this community. When he was involved with most of his projects cost was the number one consideration. Think we have morphed to a new group of HDTers where cost takes a second seat to function and quality as evidenced by those purchasing new, tricked out trucks. With a more liberal budget, would be interested to see what creativity he could have brought to the table. I'm glad I get to window shop the new trucks, additions, and bed designs.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived