What kind of binoculars

genecolleen

We love to travel out west and are planning a trip to Alaska in 2017. We would like a GOOD fairly lightweight pair of binoculars for wildlife viewing. Any recomndations? I've seen anywhere from $20 -$2800!!! Thanks in advance

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

Do you know how to 'read the numbers'? eg 7*40 or 10*50?

7*40 are great for carrying about - 7 power magnification and 40mm front lens to gather light. 10*50 are 10 power magnification and 50mm front lens so they provide a bigger, brighter image, but are heavier. And the higher the magnification, the more shake affects the ability to study the 'target'. Nikon make a 10*25 which would be good for daytime bird watching, but not good on a boat due to movement.

Then there are lens quality and lens coatings - and gas filled and zoom.

Buy a recognized lens maker brand and you should be happy - we have Nikon and Cannon and they are both very good.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Pay a little more and look for ED or HD lenses.

I have the..Vanguard Endeavor ED Binocular (8x42).

About $250.

I like the "open Frame" design too.

Check them out on Amazon.

Also Eagle Optics is a good place to shop/ research. Free shipping. I think no tax.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

John, thanks for info. I was not familiar with numbers. Looking at Nikon Monarch 5 8X42 or 10X42 not much difference in price....just want to be able to check if that grizzly has cavities!!!

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

10 power may sound better, but in reality the higher the power, the more difficult it is to hold the binoculars steady enough to enjoy the additional magnification. And focus becomes more sensitive as power goes up. I've owned 10, 8, and 7 power binoculars and have settled on 8 x 42 as the best compromise for bird and wildlife watching. Also, steer clear of zoom binoculars. They are inferior in terms of optics and just not worth messing with.

My current binos are Pentax 8x43 DCF ED. They wer recently discontinued and replaced by the Pentac 8x43 DCF ZD line ($750 ish). I have compared mine side-by-side with much more expensive ($1500+) binoculars and find them to be equivalent to my eye.

If you are looking for something more affordable, the Eagle Optics Ranger line of binoculars ($300 ish) have always been considered as a very good value for the price.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I did a fair amount of research a couple of years ago looking for a small pair that can be packed in carry-on luggage, but with good performance. Ended up with Pentax 8 x 25 UFC WP. Got them from these guys.

I have been very happy with them, carried them around several European trips. I really like them. A good compromise between power and compactness.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I have an older Ziess Dialyt 10x40 that I really love, it does need a steady hand with the 10x magnification but an 8x isn't that different in the movement department while I find the extra magnification really handy for reading distant signs.

Here are a couple of reasonably priced ($400) models, one 10x and the other 8x that are 42mm lenses which is a good compromise for evening viewing versus weight and bulk.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-terra-ed-10x42-binocular

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-terra-ed-8x42-binocular

They have a raft of really nice stuff too if you can stand the price in the $2300 range

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-victory-sf-10x42-binocular

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss/zeiss-victory-sf-8x42-binocular

The Ziess line there:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/zeiss

I'd price shop (Eagle was just my first Google hit) before buying, make sure to look at the seller support you get and make sure they are an authorized seller.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Here is a link to a great site with lot of information on binoculars and other birding optics. I used to recommend it to folks that took part in one our Boquete Birders (Panama) birdwalks if they wanted more information beyond what was cover during the brief before heading out into the field. If you wear glasses eye-relief is very important so that you can take advantage of the optics in your hand. Check out this site even if you are an experienced binocular user.

Later,

J

http://betterviewdesired.com/

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Also google Cornell birding. They do a great comparison every coup!e years of everything from the cheapest to the most expensive and rate them by price, quality and use

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I own lots of binoculars. I even have binoculars that I that I wore out!!

Here is my recommendation: http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2010/04/image-stabilized-binoculars.html

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x30-IS-Ultra-Compact-Binoculars/dp/B00004THDC

I would also buy a cheap 6X30 binoculars just to keep in the glove compartment. My best pair in this size were some Olympus binoculars that I bought for $35. They finally gave out after a couple of decades of duck hunting.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

You really need to 'test drive' whatever you are going to buy. Go to a Big 5, or any other sporting goods dealer and get them in your hand, operated the focus feature, and look through them. You needn't feel pressured into purchasing them there as you are just shopping. Try the different powers and you can see the difference in the numbers. Once you understand what works, then you can worry about price. You may find the store has what works on sale and you can purchase right there. Otherwise, buy online if you think you can get a better price.

Decades ago We purchased a US Navy Surplus 7X50 Baush Lomb Binocular dated 1943. They are a bit bulky but they are the only binoclar we have ever needed.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Don't want to get into the brand naming, etc..except to mention that I have been using Nikon Monarch's in the 8x42 and find them to be of very good quality and to give very good performance for the price. I feel you, as mentioned above, need to take some of the suggestions above about brands and try them out yourself for size, ease of use, etc. You do need to view them outside and not just inside the store. I always take a good look at something like a brick wall to see if I get a good square picture over the entire viewing area.

When you do decide on a good pair for your use, I would highly recommend you look at and purchase a harness to use when you are out and about or out hiking. A good harness will do a couple of things you will appreciate.... such as it will distribute the weight evenly across your shoulders instead of carrying it totally on your neck with a simple strap. It will also, because it has elastic straps, hold the binoculars close to your chest instead of letting it swing around (much more comfortable and much safer) AND when you raise them up to take a look at that grizzly's dental work, the elastic will help you to steady them for a better view. Just Google "binocular harness" and you will see what I mean. I was just looking at the Cabela's web site and they have a large selection.

Also, on the topic of harnesses, I have got one that I use with my camera and find it practically indispensable. I use it when we ride on our bikes and I want to take my camera handy and ready to use. It keeps it close to my chest and not dangling and swinging. Several years we were on a month long trip and in the first week we were in a state park in S. Illinois that hat a lot of huge boulders, etc. Had a new Olympus digital camera and was having a ball with the zoom, etc, Unfortunately, I was just using a strap around my neck and had the zoom lens extended when I walked around a boulder and the camera swung out to the side and barely nicked the edge of a big rock. Not a mark on the camers or lens but the lens was jammed and would not operate at all. Had to finish the trip using a film camera... this was in 2002. Worked out ok but I sure wanted to use that new digital. If I had used a harness, it wouldn't have swung out like that.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you finally buy.

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on WH20 Chassis w/8.1L and Allison

It depends on what you want to use them for and how much you budget for purchase. Of course the workhorse of the lot is 7X35's, just depends on your preferences. Brands are such a personal thing, and very subjective, I pass. There are already more than enough recommendations to find exactly what you desire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We are birders and wildlife spotters and use Bausch & Lomb 8x42. We're very satisfied with closeup detail. I wouldn't advise 10 power because of the need to hold them very steady. Have a great trip to Alaska.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Research is good, if you are into that and if you want to spend the time to learn and understand what you find. For me, I quickly discovered that many of the research sources tended to go too deeply into things and soon lost me as I didn't want to become an optics expert, only to get a good pair of binoculars to use. I strongly agree with the ideal of testing them in one of the largest sporting goods stores to see what works well and is comfortable & easy to use.

The best advice I was given when shopping for them was to remember that optical quality and clarity are far more important than the power of them. Most of us are not steady enough of hand to be able to effectively use the higher power optics without the use of a rest and that is often not available. When I bought my current set I dropped down a step in magnification but moved up several steps in optical quality. Mine happen to be from Nikon but there are many high quality ones available and the exact model that suits you best is as much personal as it is technical.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for all the replies. Capt. Joe I am leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 8X42 and will go find a store to really test out several brands before committing, and was just on the Cabelas website looking at the harness. Thanks ya'll for getting me on the right path!

Vmmonline.org

I did alot of research, especially on the birding/wildlife forums, and bought the Nikon Monarch 8x32 and also a pair of 10x42 to have the best of both for a trip to Alaska and other travels. They received good reviews especially for wearing eye glasses which both of us have. If I were to buy again just one pair, I would buy the 8x42. You can buy a better lens cap cover (the one that detaches from the eye pieces) from Eagle Optics. I bought a small caribiner to attach it to the strap so it wouldn't get lost. I bought the binoculars and caribiner from REI and love the binoculars! However, as many have said, there are many good quality binos out there to choose from. I found the harnesses, which I also love, at a Wild Birds Unlimited store.

I found the name of the aftermarket lens cover - Vortex Binocular Rainguard. It covers the small eye lens and stays on better than the one that comes with the binoculars. It is on sales at Eagle Optic for $11.99.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-binocular-rainguard

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T

https://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/bx-2-cascades-binoculars/bx-2-cascades-10x42mm/

These are the ones we bought for our trip to Alaska. Found it to be a good balance for distance and still having the ability to keep them steady without using a tripod. Quality wise their in the solid B level, but on sale you can find the down to the C level price points.

We are currently watching Craigslist for either another pair with motion stability control, and higher power. Something like this one:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/15-x-50-is-all-weather-binoculars-refurbished

In not rush, as we are not in a moving boat, will only get one of the level if it is a real bargain. (Missed one at an estate sell a few months ago, and the gent got a pair he said was over $2500 when new, for $200!! Score!!!)

And finally, another good way to go for serious wildlife watching, and with a camera adapter, is a good quality spotting scope. Not to go carry around as you hike, but great to sit back and let the wildlife come into your extended field of view!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Capt. Joe I am leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 8X42 and will go find a store to really test out several brands before committing, and was just on the Cabelas website looking at the harness.

Looks like you're looking at a very good choice and definitely get a harness. It takes all the weight off your neck.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Here is a great explanation on binoculars. The information presented pretty well corresponds with what I was told by the Nikon rep when I worked in stores selling their binoculars. Peruse the whole article but pay particular to the light gathering section. After reading this you will be a well above normal consumer.

The one thing the rep stressed is that if you take the larger number (aperture) and divide it by the smaller (magnification) you should strive for a result of at least 5. The higher the better for looking into dark areas such as shade (undergrowth and trees) and low light situations like dusk or dawn.

This really comes into play if you star gaze with binocs. Lots of fun.

Good Luck!!

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Have Monarch 5 8x32 which are great. Got those for our 12-week (flew down) trip to Ecuador and Peru. Have a set of name brand Austrian 10 x 42 binos that I did not want to take on a trip to South America. Called up B&H to ask what I should get and they were the ones who suggested the Monarchs. They run about $250 from B&H.

8 x 32 and 8 x 42 are excellent. As noted, 10 power get to be difficult to use without a rest.

Agree with Captain Joe about purchasing a harness. We have S4 harness on both sets of binoculars. These are Kuban hitch types that hold the binos against your body so that you can actually jog with them. Find that the binos without a harness Have Monarch 8x32 which are great. Got those for our 12-week (flew down) trip to Ecuador and Peru. Have a set of Austrian 10 x 42 binos that I did not want to take on a trip to South America. Called up B&H to ask what I should get and they were the ones who suggested the Monarchs. They run about $250 from B&H.

8 x 32 and 8 x 42 are excellent. As noted, 10 power get to be difficult to use without a resting against chest while wearing a light weight shirt causes chaffing. Do not have this problem with the S4 harness.

Reed and Elaine

The stabilization concern folks are mentioning related to 10X power is real which is why we have relied on a pair of these for several years (actually, we have the older model). Yes, they are expensive but all that jiggling disappears with just a push of a button. Is it worth the added expense? We think so and would purchase another pair in a heartbeat.
Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

Archived