What kind of binoculars

genecolleen

About 20 years ago the DW and I ordered a couple pair of Swarovski SLC 10 x 42 binoculars from the American Birding Association (still have them both) and they have proven to be the best investment I have ever made. Since we had 2 pair to compare one to the other I noted that the focus on my binoculars were slightly tighter to rotate than the DW's. I called Swarovski and they had me send them in for repairs. When I got them back there was a 3 page list of items that that had been replaced. Among them they had found slight scratches on two of the lenses and replaced them along with the other items detailed. The most notable was the feel of the newer form fitting HDPE covering. In essence I got them back better than they were then new. The cost for this repair zero. I have since had them in another time and the story was the same. Zero repair cost.

I agree it takes time to learn to steadily hold large 10 power binoculars but once you master them you will be glad you did. As a bird guide in Panama I consider 10 power perfect but admit some of my peers prefer 8 power especially in the lower thicker elevations. The DW now packs Swarovski EL 10 x 32's. Surprisingly these little 32's are wonderful optics and very handy to use and carry. If I can ever talk myself out of the larger heavier 10 x 42's these will be my choice.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

We have the 7x35 and 10x50. Both Nikon, reasonable prices, got them at Academy Sports. I also have a 8x20 monocular I carry in the hiking kit. As stated above, it is best to actually try out the different brands and powers for edge to edge sharpness and flair. We do the annual Christmas bird count with about another 75 people in the Little Rock area every year.

Good luck in your decision.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

I have 10x50 tasco binoculars that I bought in the late eighties but I don't use very often.

In 1992 just after I returned fro the west coast of the US I bought a pair of tasco 8x22 self focusing binoculars , these are small enough to fit in the buttoned up pocket of a work shirt so these are the ones that get taken more places and get used more.

mick

I have the Tasco 10x25 bino's, they work very well and I can see in shaded areas too, even work to look at stars.

I did not have to work too many hours to afford them, I think one can purchase them for $20.00 or so, probably less.

They are very light and if something happens to them I will just go by another.

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

Archived