How many pounds is 6 tons?

Big5er

610065a68c81ea3f8d78335e4bf439e3.jpg

The bridge was rated for 6 tons and the driver said she didn't know how many pounds that was. Looks like she didn't know how tall her truck was either.

ARTICLE

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a engineer-point-of-view.........just how many pounds of bridge is now loaded on the Volvo ? ?

Drive on........(Bridge ahead.........feel'n lucky punk.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Honestly, it looks like the trailer hitting the structure caused it to fail. Probably not enough weight on the steer to do that.

"Hey, let's give them a 6 week class & turn 'em loose!"

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

From a technical point of view, metric tons or imperial tons?

If this was in the US, it would be the standard US ton of 2000 lb.

But you also forgot to note long ton or short ton.

The net result is you cannot cure stupid.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

There's metric tonnes also....lol

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I'm curious, if a person is at fault in an accident, and damages or destroys public property, aren't they usually liable for the cost of repairs? I'm thinking of guard rails, traffic lights and electric polls typically found along highway. But if one is liable for that I would assume they would be liable for the bridge.

The article seemed to be saying that she might just be charged with a $135 fine.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

"The net result is you cannot cure stupid."

X2

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

In defense of the driver, the sign posted is of a body job, not a tractor-trailer. :lol::lol::lol: Scrambling for an excuse.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Another example of people operating a vehicle that they know very little about. But you know....if they can drive a BIG dully, they are road warrior....... Give them a shift handle now there are lost..... 40 ft;+ long and there out of control.......One has to drive for them to when out on the road...... OU812

Metric ton, long ton, metric tonne.....aren't they all 2200 pounds? Heck I learned that in 6th grade, back in 1965.

Paoli is about 100 miles west of me. Good motorcycle roads and nice wineries.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When you're rig is right near 20 tons and a few inches too tall, it's more hand grenades than horseshoes. ;)

X3. Stupid is one thing duct tape can't fix.

She "should" be liable. That's why most folks carry property damage liability insurance, and why most cities have codes and charters to the effect of "Any person moving any vehicle of excess weight or size on or over any street or other public right-of-way in the City is responsible for damage to pavement or other public improvement or property caused thereby." [16.70.680... just as an example]

From a technical point of view, metric tons or imperial tons?

If this was in the US, it would be the standard US ton of 2000 lb.

But you also forgot to note long ton or short ton.

There's metric tonnes also....lol

Curt

No matter which one you chose, 48,000 lbs of water PLUS the truck and trailer definitely exceeds 6 tons by..uh...add 2, carry 5...uh...well... a bunch. :)

2014 smart Fortwo

uh...add 2, carry 5...uh...well... a bunch. :)

Um.. you CAN'T carry the 5 when it's raining, you are within 500 meters of a body of water, or it's been less than 3 hours since you ate a salted peanut. (some people never learn. :blink:) I guess the poor girl wasn't the only one a bit confuseded.

Well I'll play the driver point of view here.

She was wrong very very wrong !!! in trying to cross that bridge, no excuse at all.

But I do fill very sorry for her as everybody makes fun and not the correct word but trashes her.

Guys its a very scary and panicking feeling when your a experienced driver not just a rookie and you realize your some place you shouldn't be and can't get turned around.

I could tell you many story's about when I turned down wrong roads at night and literally just prayed I could find a way out with out causing any damage or having someone call my company to complain about me being an idiot.

Try pulling double bottom dump trailers in the dark in badly marked sand and gravel pit to find your self at the end of a cliff ( they don't back up !!) I did in my rookie years.

There's no way you guys can tell me you haven't gone into a new camp ground and not puckered up a bit. No I bet a lot until you had your truck parked. ( please dont let me make a fool of myself). How many times did you look at google earth to try and make a parking plan long before you get there? Most drivers do but stuff changes.

Be great full here is a 23 yr old girl with what may have been her child at least trying to make a living. Not just another young a adult living off the government.

Sorry for the rage guys but just looking at that brings back scared feelings all drivers get.

Charlie

Agree with Charlie - said the guy who once had to unhook the pup wagon and back 5 axles of his loaded 7 axle A train 3 blocks and around a blind corner do a 14 point turn then back in the 3 blocks drag out a logging chain hook the pup to the lead then turn it around in its tracks then line up and hook up again. In the dark.

Can't blame gps back in the day, one number written down wrong on the directions.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Well I'll play the driver point of view here.

She was wrong very very wrong !!! in trying to cross that bridge, no excuse at all.

But I do fill very sorry for her as everybody makes fun and not the correct word but trashes her.

Guys its a very scary and panicking feeling when your a experienced driver not just a rookie and you realize your some place you shouldn't be and can't get turned around.

I could tell you many story's about when I turned down wrong roads at night and literally just prayed I could find a way out with out causing any damage or having someone call my company to complain about me being an idiot.

Try pulling double bottom dump trailers in the dark in badly marked sand and gravel pit to find your self at the end of a cliff ( they don't back up !!) I did in my rookie years.

There's no way you guys can tell me you haven't gone into a new camp ground and not puckered up a bit. No I bet a lot until you had your truck parked. ( please dont let me make a fool of myself). How many times did you look at google earth to try and make a parking plan long before you get there? Most drivers do but stuff changes.

Be great full here is a 23 yr old girl with what may have been her child at least trying to make a living. Not just another young a adult living off the government.

Sorry for the rage guys but just looking at that brings back scared feelings all drivers get.

Charlie

X 2 Bronc

Let you among us thats never turned down the wrong road cast the first glance into the mirror.........and mutter.........oh my goodness.....

Drive on.........(Be careful.......you just might make the News.......Big-Time.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

My son lives near there and is a tow truck operator. He found out about this wreck while he was up here in MN for Xmas and he was glad he was because he didn't have a good feeling about getting that truck out without the rest of bridge going in the river.

Glad the driver and the passenger got out unhurt.

Driver made too many errors, first even thinking she should cross with a 6t weight limit. Next she was too tall and hit the bridge first. Then she admitted she couldn't back up or knew math, should have called the lawyer first.

It is a good possibility the trucking company could be held liable for the cost to replace the bridge. Hope they both have good insurance. I think they should go after whoever gave her her CDL too or whatever school she went to to get it.

Like others have said, at least she was trying to work.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Um.. you CAN'T carry the 5 when it's raining, you are within 500 meters of a body of water, or it's been less than 3 hours since you ate a salted peanut. (some people never learn. :blink:) I guess the poor girl wasn't the only one a bit confuseded.

Damn it! You are so right. I forgot the peanut exception in algebra. When they added letters to math I had a hard time, but the salted nut and water exemptions get me every time. My scientific calculator doesn't have the food group or weather buttons. :wacko:

2014 smart Fortwo

Damn it! You are so right. I forgot the peanut exception in algebra. When they added letters to math I had a hard time, but the salted nut and water exemptions get me every time. My scientific calculator doesn't have the food group or weather buttons. :wacko:

And you deny "silly?" :P

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived