MPG

remoandiris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total weight of rig, speeds driven, headwinds, so many variables. And that is not counting the fish story factor.

Bob-tailing home when I purchased Red Rover I got 13 mpg.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

12 Imperial gallons equals 14.4 US gallons.

If that is true, then Gregg is getting 10 mpg in US gallons. I would like to get that!

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Out here in the West it's hard to pin-down a real number when it comes to MPG due to so many variable factors .......altitudes and steep, curvey roads really skew any effort to obtain stable numbers..........

Example......our best record for MPH from Reno to Las Vegas to Reno with our small 30 ft Dolly-hauler is 13.2 MPG .......Fast forward to last spring........ same road cool temps far less traffic HORRIFIC headwinds up to 70 mph at times we set a new low record 8.2 MPG and this is with a tiny fuel miser M11 at 370 hp setting .......this trip we drove the same 62 mph on cruise but much of the time the turbo boost gage was hovering at mid-range but consider at a average 40 to 50 mph headwind our "Airspeed" was hovering in the 100 mph to 110 mph range....of course our tire and drive train friction was still factored at 62 mph on cruise.....so the downgrade in MPG was aero-drag......

A aero-cab truck has a big MPG advantage but high-headwinds can really eat away some of the advantages.......

Drive on...........(Or....pull over and let the headwinds die down........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Bobtail from Calgary to Dallas area when I picked up my truck I got just over 12 mpg. Running at 65mph on cruise. D16 engine. Anctual measured gallons, not computer.

With a 53K lb load I typically get BEST at low to mid 9's. Again running at 62 mph.

More typical in any hills/mountains is in the low 7's. Running at 62 mph or the speed limit, whichever is lower.

Those are measured figures - NOT the computer. The computer tends to be optimistic on most trucks.

This is about what I'd expect for my truck in those conditions.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Our computer is optimistic as well. I usually says around 9...... Round trip to Alaska was 7.15 using real numbers. But, we have a motor issue we're sorting out, so it may improve.

That said, if you don't drive a lot of miles, a couple of mpg is pretty insignificant in the big picture. If I can't afford the fuel, I'd better find a cheaper game.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Our computer is optimistic as well. I usually says around 9...... Round trip to Alaska was 7.15 using real numbers. But, we have a motor issue we're sorting out, so it may improve.

That said, if you don't drive a lot of miles, a couple of mpg is pretty insignificant in the big picture. If I can't afford the fuel, I'd better find a cheaper game.

EX-perts are mumbling about $.99 diesel............

Drive on..........(Cheep is a good trip....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Our truck has an ISX Cummins and though we haven't weighed it we probably cross the scales at about 50,000 pounds. Loaded with the Forester, the RZR and the Teton we have averaged between 7 and 8 usually around 71/2 to 8. This has not changed much in 10 years. We live in a valley in Colorado so no matter which way we go the trip starts with mountain driving.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Maiden voyage, Houston through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and back. I did 8.7, actual, from the driveway to the driveway. I've never measured it since. I watch the dash computer but haven't really cared a lot about it since. I've only put 20,000+ miles on my truck since I bought it. Even if it drops 1.5MPG to 7.2 it's not going to matter enough to make me change my plans.

20,000 miles at 8.7MPG at $4.00 per/gal is $9195.40 or 0.46 cents a mile

20,000 miles at 7.2MPG at $4.00 per/gal is $11,111.11 or 0.56 cents a mile

a difference of $1915.71 over 20,000 miles or 0.10 cents per mile

at $3.00 per/gal that changes to $6896.55 at 8.7 and $8333.33 at 7.2, a difference over 20,000 miles of $1,436.78 or about 0.08 cents a mile.

Yee haw, watch those diesel prices drop. I'll be eating filet mignon with that extra 2cents a gallon. It will only take me 27 gajillion miles to save enough for two steaks and a drink. Shoot, I might even be able to afford an appetizer :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Towing 18.5k lbs- 10-10.5mpg

Bobtail 12-14 depending on how much traffic, stop and go etc.

BUT this is a PRE-EGR, extra emission, catalytic converter, small Cummins M-11.

In a 1 year average, we have gotten around 11.8mpg. All fuel in, measured miles, etc.

I do know that we are getting a little lower mpg with the new tires- different tread, compound etc.

Need to figure in the different fuels as well. B-20 will get you less mpg than straight diesel would. Remember that right now everyone is running "Winter Blend"...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yee haw, watch those diesel prices drop. I'll be eating filet mignon with that extra 2cents a gallon. It will only take me 27 gajillion miles to save enough for two steaks and a drink. Shoot, I might even be able to afford an appetizer :D

Phil,

I like the way you expressed it better than mine. ;)

As I see it, we aren't playing a cheap game. Sure, I like to save a buck, but I won't sweat economy over safety. It's just a little less to leave for the kids to squander when we're gone. :lol:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Glenn, It will be interesting to see what you get as we have similar trucks, Freightliners with 14L Detroit's and Ultra Shifts.

Ours is a Mid Roof XT and Singled short. I think yours was a condo and you were singling Mid.

We got around 11 MPG when we drove it home from Houston to MN bobtailing, which was the longest trip we did bobtailing.

Hooked up to our 18k trailer, we were getting 7-8 MPG until we added an extra wind deflector/garage on the back of ours to close up the gap to the trailer and we went up to 8-9 and in some cases 10MPG this year. Weight of the trailer can vary by as much as 7k (if we have the show vehicle in there or if we don't) and it doesn't seem to affect mileage.

A lot does depend on how much headwind we are getting and how much Non-expressway driving we do, In town traffic and wind affects the MPG's greatly. We usually run the expressways at 65mph or slower due to trailer tires.

If would be nice to change out the rear end ratio like Gregg did to the truck in the video but we would have to drive a lot of miles to make it worth while. I just hope that when we are back traveling in the spring/summer, today's fuel prices will still be here or lower! That is better on the pocket book than any increase in MPG.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I will agree on the "pay to play" statement! And most of us get better MPG than our counter parts using pickups to tow their RV's. But those that say it's part of owning an HDT, bad mpg. I do not agree with, when you compare us to the diesel pusher crowd. They usually get 4 to 6 mpg, how many of us would still make the same statement with those mpg numbers? I bet most if not all would be looking to improve those numbers! Or would not go the HDT route at all? Remember, not all of us have $100k rigs or would choose to spend that amount on just a "truck". So the mpg statement is a valid concern for some, not me. But some.......

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I bobtail about 20,000 miles a year. Lots of times 6-800 miles at a clip. Many variables, but 9.5 - 10 mpg are good numbers at 65 mph. The Work and Play is a brick behind me, totally flat front, gap between tractor and trailer is at least 8 feet yields about 8 mpg. Aerodynamics is a much bigger factor than weight.

my best mileage with a trailer is an empty food grade tanker(no piping underneath and one small ladder on the side) with super singles goes 9 under average conditions.

I recently had a 53' hi-cube van produced by Kentucky trailer for Pepsico/Frito Lay that had every aerodynamic trick in the book installed. From Louisville Ky to their HQ in Dallas driving very carefully( 55 mph, minimum stops) I got 9.5 mpg.

There is a picture on the first page of my Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118502133@N04/

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I track my mileage on paper at every fill-up. Since I have bought my truck, I have put on 15016 miles, and put in 1766.7 gallons of fuel. That is right at 8.5mpg. This is with all kinds of driving (around town, pulling loaded and unloaded trailers, bobtail) ALL of which is mountain driving in Colorado/Utah/Wyoming.

This is with a Detroit 12.7, and a Condo. I usually set the cruise at 70. (speedo is 5mph off per GPS, so 65)

And comparatively, I was only getting 7mpg pulling the same trailer/load with my Cummins Dodge. I just figured out the actual mileage the other day, and I was quite surprised that it was over 7.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

I track my mileage on paper at every fill-up. Since I have bought my truck, I have put on 15016 miles, and put in 1766.7 gallons of fuel. That is right at 8.5mpg. This is with all kinds of driving (around town, pulling loaded and unloaded trailers, bobtail) ALL of which is mountain driving in Colorado/Utah/Wyoming.

This is with a Detroit 12.7, and a Condo. I usually set the cruise at 70. (speedo is 5mph off per GPS, so 65)

And comparatively, I was only getting 7mpg pulling the same trailer/load with my Cummins Dodge. I just figured out the actual mileage the other day, and I was quite surprised that it was over 7.

If I am reading that right, if you put 15,016 miles on your truck based on a speedometer that reads 70 when your going 65 according to gps, then I think you actually put 13,943 miles on the truck using 1766.7 gallons of fuel. That is an avg of 7.9 mph.

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Beyerjf;

You are right on, on that topic. With our prior TT a 30ft Airstream Sovereign I never saw mpg below 11, with the Sprinter I have seen in the mpg in the 9's. This was based on the same routes on an average.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

If I am reading that right, if you put 15,016 miles on your truck based on a speedometer that reads 70 when your going 65 according to gps, then I think you actually put 13,943 miles on the truck using 1766.7 gallons of fuel. That is an avg of 7.9 mph.

I'll go out on a limb, and say that if he's using a GPS for speed check, then he likely also used it for distance check.

A speedometer can be off while the odometer is accurate on the same machine. In days of old, the odometer was gear driven, while the speed portion was actually driven by a spinning magnet inside an aluminum cup.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived