MPG

remoandiris

I am usually good at figuring in the percentage off due to oversize tires on my other vehicles....not sure why I didn't think about that on this one.

I was really happy with 8.5, but I guess 7.9 isn't horrible either for what I use it for, and the added comforts I get with it.

In my mind, I am going to go with Rickeieio's diagnosis...

I should check the odometer to a gps also, see if it is close.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line for me is it does not matter what the mpg is. The only reason I track it at all is that it "can" be an indicator of an issue with the engine, over time. Otherwise I simply would not care. Phil very nicely summarized the reason.

Using a truck like this for fulltiming is a lifestyle choice. It allows me to do things that otherwise would have to be done in a fashion not as "good". For me. The bottom line is that over the course of a years expenses, the total cost of fuel is not even on the radar.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The bottom line for me is it does not matter what the mpg is. The only reason I track it at all is that it "can" be an indicator of an issue with the engine, over time. Otherwise I simply would not care. Phil very nicely summarized the reason.

Using a truck like this for fulltiming is a lifestyle choice. It allows me to do things that otherwise would have to be done in a fashion not as "good". For me. The bottom line is that over the course of a years expenses, the total cost of fuel is not even on the radar.

Good points to ponder.....

It's sorta of a luxury to not care about too much fuel on board......just find a nice fueling station and fill both tanks and grin thinking how many adventures-per-tank Dolly will have on the trail rides.

Flash back to the "stone-age" when fueling was often a royal-pain-in-the - kester" when you often had to trade fuel for cargo weight and weather conditions often required "alternate" airports for landing .......of course running out of fuel was bad ........juju

Of course running low on fuel in a truck is not much fun so I tend to keep the tanks pretty full much of the time.......running low on fuel is a pretty sure way to increase costs.......no matter your MPG.........

Drive on.........(Happy.......MPG)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

attachicon.gifsmall version.jpg

I would bet that this would get pretty decent mileage.

I bet it would drive nice too. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was really pushing a trip last summer on the way home when the low fuel indicator came on and I wasn't that close to a fuel station so was a little worried. I got to a station and was surprised to have 47 gallons still left in the tanks. I get anywhere from 7.8 to 9.8 mpg (actual) depending on speed and varying conditions. The truck says I'm getting better milage than actual always. I mostly travel the speed limit except for the 80 mph ones which I usually do around 75.

I didn't start this Hdt thing with mpg in the equation. It is a mute point. Interesting but mute

All right, the nit picker in me can't stand it any longer....... :ph34r: It's "moot".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

If you really want to start a mileage storm, go talk to the owner of that flat-nosed barn door Class A. Them boys would were themselves to get our worst mileage. Gotta love an Aero cab.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The next big step to streamline these trucks would be to clean up the underneath area. Install a panel that flows from the bottom front valance, extends back to at least the rear of the sleeper, stretches from side fairing to side fairing.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The next big step to streamline these trucks would be to clean up the underneath area. Install a panel that flows from the bottom front valance, extends back to at least the rear of the sleeper, stretches from side fairing to side fairing.

We had a old line mechanic that cut his teeth in crop-dusters ......these old "ag-aircraft" had round engines without cowling's and the and the mechanics liked the easy access for quick inspections and rework........old Frank called fairing "Parts-Catchers".........

A belly fairing on a Freightshaker would be handy.......at the end of a trip.....you could just "unzip" the belly fairing and collect the parts that have shaken-off......

Drive on...........(Merry Christmas.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Howdy All,

I have driven my rig a tad over 44,000 miles in the last 28 months that I have owned it, my average hand calculated fuel mileage has been 8.1mpg. I paid $25,000 for the truck and have put about $3,500 in the truck in repairs since owning it, lets just round it off to $29,000

I bought my Ram 3500 new and paid $38,000 for it and put another $20,000 in it to upgrade stuff, add power, add exhaust brake, add gages, improve the intake and exhaust systems, install hitches etc, so round it off $58,000 for a truck that no longer suits my needs and sits in the yard, couldn't safely tow what I now tow and only got 6.5-7mpg on a very good day.

If I had been wise and AWARE of towing an RV trailer with an HDT back in 2003 when I bought the Ram, I would be MANY thousands of dollars ahead of where I am today. I whine about the cost of fuel as most folks do but at this point in my life I really don't care what it costs and so long as I can afford it I'll pull up to the pump and pay whatever it costs to continue to live my life the way I want to. That said I sure am enjoying the lower fuel costs and hope that they will continue for a while before we are again bent over the barrel and loved as we have been in the past.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Alie I tell everyone that since I get 8 with the Volvo and 40 with the Smart that is an average of 24 mpg. Real good for the Volvo but crumby for the Smart.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

So if I'm reading the replies correctly, newer HDTs get not much better mileage than older HDTs.

Generally yes, less emission stuff that lowers mileage- no EGR, no DEF, some older trucks not even a catalytic converter.

BUT if you can have a new truck built for you and select the best gearing, and engine size for the weight we are moving you might see mileage back in the high 9's and low 10's towing.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

In line-haul service the new trucks will ALL get better mpg than older trucks - pollution stuff or not. There may be a rare exception, but for stock trucks that is generally true.

In RV application it does not seem to be the case on the surface, but I think a fair evaluation for "same weights" and actual measurements would show that the newer trucks will get better mpg IF they are the same size engine pulling the same loads. There is so much variation in the RV haulers that it is hard to do a good measure. Especially since there are many "optimistic" owners out there that do not have good measures of fuel used. (None here, of course).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I agree with Jack. I might add that we aren't helping ourselves by having a huge gap between the cab and the trailer. All that deck space comes at a price, in mileage. Plus, our trailers are pretty "dirty" in an aerodynamic sense.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

The truck gets 6.5 to 7. The jeep gets 13 to 16 depending on how I drive. I was worried about fuel economy I would have kept the house and the prius. I'm not so I didnt. I just go have fun. Truck field is a housing expense since I need it to move the house down the road. Merry Christmas everyone.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We had a old line mechanic that cut his teeth in crop-dusters ......these old "ag-aircraft" had round engines without cowling's and the and the mechanics liked the easy access for quick inspections and rework........old Frank called fairing "Parts-Catchers".........

A belly fairing on a Freightshaker would be handy.......at the end of a trip.....you could just "unzip" the belly fairing and collect the parts that have shaken-off......

Drive on...........(Merry Christmas.....)

Now that's funny no mater what you drive?

My friend had an El Camino that was paid for that got 10 mpg. I made the comment to him one day that he should buy a newer truck to get better mileage one day. He asked me, "what my payment was"? I said, "$177 a month". As he turned and walked back to the garage he said, "I can buy a lot of gas for a $177!" I never gave much thought to fuel mileage as compared to a vehicle payment ever since!

Archived