MPG

remoandiris

My friend had an El Camino that was paid for that got 10 mpg. I made the comment to him one day that he should buy a newer truck to get better mileage one day. He asked me, "what my payment was"? I said, "$177 a month". As he turned and walked back to the garage he said, "I can buy a lot of gas for a $177!" I never gave much thought to fuel mileage as compared to a vehicle payment ever since!

Howdy GoldRush,

What your friend said is something I have been harping on for years. It never made any sense to me for folks who already had a good running car or truck that in most cases was paid for to trade it in for next to nothing to buy some econo box that costs a lot of money just to get better fuel mileage. For decades I drove some darn nice vehicles that got less mileage then the newer stuff but I bought the gas gusselers CHEAP ran them till something major broke then bought another, one over the years I have had some nice rides and my cost per mile I think matched or beat those who had to have the newest save the planet vehicle.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy GoldRush,

What your friend said is something I have been harping on for years. It never made any sense to me for folks who already had a good running car or truck that in most cases was paid for to trade it in for next to nothing to buy some econo box that costs a lot of money just to get better fuel mileage. For decades I drove some darn nice vehicles that got less mileage then the newer stuff but I bought the gas gusselers CHEAP ran them till something major broke then bought another, one over the years I have had some nice rides and my cost per mile I think matched or beat those who had to have the newest save the planet vehicle.

Dave

I'm glad my friend schooled me 31 years ago, lol.

I made a statement on this topic earlier, now in retospect..... all in all does it even matter?

We have our rigs for various reasons, from "inexpensive to very extravagant"! All will say "their" rig fits "their" needs, mileage notwithstanding they meet our needs. Would we like to have better, sure! Will it stop us from using them? No. So in the end, does this topic even matter? Because no matter which type of RV you have, you have to put fuel in it!

Besides RV's have nothing on fuel burn when it comes to planes ,boats or "anything" that only runs on "race" fuel.

Just sayin.....

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

On newer trucks getting better mpg I have noticed larger more powerful engines and higher gearing. So more power and less rpm's make better mpg. Wished Detroit would listen.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I made a statement on this topic earlier, now in retospect..... all in all does it even matter?

We have our rigs for various reasons, from "inexpensive to very extravagant"! All will say "their" rig fits "their" needs, mileage notwithstanding they meet our needs. Would we like to have better, sure! Will it stop us from using them? No. So in the end, does this topic even matter? Because no matter which type of RV you have, you have to put fuel in it!

Besides RV's have nothing on fuel burn when it comes to planes ,boats or "anything" that only runs on "race" fuel.

Just sayin.....

Curt

It may not matter to you, but it does matter to me...a person researching HDTs.

If I have a choice between 2 similar trucks, and one gets 7 mpg while the other gets 10 mpg, the 10 mpg truck has the edge. In a 10,000 trip, the cost savings is over $1,000. BTW, last year I put over 13,000 on my LGT pulling my 5er. That is one 6-month trip. The fuel cost savings add up year after year after year.

It appears fuel economy isn't big on the HDT owner list of importance. That is fine. However, to simply dismiss a thread because it doesn't fit your personal needs is narrow-minded, IMO. Unless you can afford to throw away $1,000 a year.

Just sayin.

If I have a choice between 2 similar trucks, and one gets 7 mpg while the other gets 10 mpg, the 10 mpg truck has the edge. In a 10,000 trip, the cost savings is over $1,000. BTW, last year I put over 13,000 on my LGT pulling my 5er. That is one 6-month trip. The fuel cost savings add up year after year after year.

Drop back for a moment. As many have said, MPG relies heavily on the load being moved. An HDT can vary in weight from 16,000 lbs to 20,000 lbs or more. 4,000 lbs is half the weight of a pickup. Then you have trailer weight variances. Some from as low as 12,0000 lbs to as high as 28,000 lbs. That is a 8 ton range.

So asking for mileage numbers are rather not based upon and sound analysis unless you collect the weights and the regions of the country.

From a scientific point of view, there is no great magic in diesel engines. It takes a certain amount of horsepower to move a load down the highway and the horsepower comes from BTUs of energy that comes from the diesel fuel. If there was a magic engine with more horsepower per BTU, it would be the only engine sold.

The post 2010 engines are reporting a slightly high MPG rating because of reduction in EGR but nobody reports their DEF consumption. Nothing is for free.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It may not matter to you, but it does matter to me...a person researching HDTs.

It appears fuel economy isn't big on the HDT owner list of importance. That is fine. However, to simply dismiss a thread because it doesn't fit your personal needs is narrow-minded, IMO. Unless you can afford to throw away $1,000 a year.

Just sayin.

I don't think Curt was "dismissing" anything, he was just putting things in perspective. I'd gladly pay $1000 a year to have a safer, more comfortable truck.

Have you noticed that there are no EPA estimates listed for the different Class 8 trucks?? They might be able to accurately (?) estimate the fuel mileage in your Ford Festiva but there is a big difference in HDT's. Must be a reason, don't ya think? You will never know what mileage a truck gets until you load it and drive it. Oops, too late now, isn't it?

And without seeming rude, if $1000 a year is your deciding factor, then you need to look real close at your wallet before you buy an HDT. Wait till you price 4, 6, 8 or even 10 tires. Wait till someone tells you what a blown engine will cost you. You can buy a whole LGT for that price. And just like no one here will promise you any specific fuel mileage, no one will promise that your motor won't go belly up either. Ask around, I know there is a new engine on this forum.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I don't think Curt was "dismissing" anything, he was just putting things in perspective. I'd gladly pay $1000 a year to have a safer, more comfortable truck.

Have you noticed that there are no EPA estimates listed for the different Class 8 trucks?? They might be able to accurately (?) estimate the fuel mileage in your Ford Festiva but there is a big difference in HDT's. Must be a reason, don't ya think? You will never know what mileage a truck gets until you load it and drive it. Oops, too late now, isn't it?

And without seeming rude, if $1000 a year is your deciding factor, then you need to look real close at your wallet before you buy an HDT. Wait till you price 4, 6, 8 or even 10 tires. Wait till someone tells you what a blown engine will cost you. You can buy a whole LGT for that price. And just like no one here will promise you any specific fuel mileage, no one will promise that your motor won't go belly up either. Ask around, I know there is a new engine on this forum.

When he said, "does this topic even matter", he was dismissing it. My initial query didn't mention safety or comfort, it was strictly about mileage, prompted by Gregg's vid of an RV hauler getting 10 mpg.

The last time I shopped for an LGT (2011) I noticed the EPA had no mileage estimates for diesel LGTs.

No, $1,000 a yr is NOT my deciding factor. I stated it would give an edge between similar trucks, and if anyone says that wouldn't make a difference to them, congrats on your good fortune. I have seen plenty of posts on the forum about people complaining their insurance went up a whole $200 a yr. 1 yr of 10 mpg vs 7 mpg would pay for 5 yrs of the $200 increase.

IIRC, there was a post here about an inframe running around $10K. No, an inframe is not the same as an engine replacement, but I don't often see posts about blown RV hauler engines here, either. Considering if I purchase an HDT it will likely last me 20 yrs. In that same time, I would probably go thru 2 or 3 LGTs.

When he said, "does this topic even matter", he was dismissing it.

I think most of the posts in this thread have questioned "does this topic even matter" in one fashion or another without being as plain as Curt. I know my post on page 1 certainly did.

Complaining about an insurance increase is like complaining about fuel prices. When I bought my truck, like many others here, I was looking for several specific items. I had a list of items, in order of importance:

• Volvo
  • 5-6 yrs old
  • less than 600,000 miles
  • with an automatic transmission
  • with a work station

The truck would need to pass on inspection and a dyno. 1, 2 or even 5 MPG is not gonna break the bank. Of all the things I looked for color and fuel consumption weren't even on the list. I am happy that Gregg has a truck that gets 10mpg. If I drive my truck unloaded, without ever stopping or starting, I bet I could get 10 also. Heck, Freightliner has a brand new prototype that gets 12. Maybe you should hold off for them to come into production. As you pointed out,your original post didn't mention safety or comfort. It appears that you are more concerned with money. If that is the case, an HDT probably isn't the way to go.

I think your question, as asked, has been answered. I haven't seen anyone here claim they get 10mpg under normal usage.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I got 10 mpg with my Volvo 610 pulling a 16,500 lb trailer. That was a short wb tractor with nothing on the deck. I forget how much just the tractor weighed, but probably not much over 17K lbs. even with the hauler body on it. It was powered by a Cummins ISM with a 10 sp autoshift. That is a pretty economical combo. And it really did get 10+ mpg on the flat. In the hills it dropped into the 7-8mpg range, depending.

Fuel economy was not even on my selection list on either truck. Simply because it is almost impossible to determine it with any accuracy prior to owning the truck. Yes, there are certain engine/drivetrain combos that will - in THEORY - be more economical. But frankly, a good truck is hard enough to find that fuel is simply not - or should not be - a selection criteria. IMO. Another way of saying this is - Find the truck that meets all the rest of your criteria and live with the fuel economy. Because you are not likely to have a LONG list of trucks to choose from. However, if you are lucky enough to find two identical trucks that meet all your needs, then, sure, choose the one you feel might have the better economy. But I'd bet there are other factors that make you lean to one or the other - not fuel consumption.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I hunted for a year or more to find one to fit us. Fuel comsumption was not in the requirements. I did end up with a Detroit. It should be decent but I won't be disappointed if not. My ldt got 7 on flats. Auto shift, clean with little rust, easily singled, and not real expensive. I wanted a Volvo but ended up with Freightliner. Likely saved about 10k this way too. Freightliner is less money to work on. Cats are costly to work on. What I am getting at mpg is just not a factor in the expense of it all.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

It appears that you are more concerned with money. If that is the case, an HDT probably isn't the way to go.

I think your question, as asked, has been answered. I haven't seen anyone here claim they get 10mpg under normal usage.

"more concerned about money"? No. Willing to waste money if there is a viable alternative? No again. However, there doesn't appear to be a viable alternative.

The reason I am looking at an HDT is because double towing is illegal in Fla. If it wasn't, I'd keep my LGT and add a swivel wheel trailer to the back of my 5er for hauling a RZR.

As for waiting on a 12 mpg Freightliner, someone mentioned in an earlier post about spending thousands on a new vehicle to save hundreds in gas mileage. Yeah, that makes sense.

I tend to keep track of MPG for various reasons but few are actually related to saving money on fuel.........

Often changes in "mid-range-fuel-consumption" are indicators of likely power train "changes" fairly sudden MPG changes in "normal" driving operations may be a "indicator" of pending "issues" that may need attention (brake-draging, various sensor degradation, etc.)

While I was thumb-typing this Darryl snuck-in-ahead-of-me an stole my thunder..... and posted a body-part-image that is what I am leading up to.......Indeed our right foot is a MAJOR factor in our "MPG-Potential"......

While the HDT owner is in general is obviously far more "gifted-in-many-ways" than the operators of "lesser-trucks"........the HDT also is "potentially-cursed" with "superior-machinery-to-FAIL-the-mileage-potential" ............The "obvious" method to kill MPG is to "Mash-the-right-peddle-to-the-floor" with every opportunity.........yes you can do this a "lesser-truck" as well but a HDT just has bigger buckets to pour the wasted fuel into.........but wait it gets better.......heck with a HDT we have a way to waste fuel just by taking our body-part off of the "right-peddle"....oh yes the Jake-Brake is a great way to waste fuel IF you just abuse its intended operation.....( I have been told that "lesser-drivers" have been known to "dork-out" on a hill and "engage" the Jake and of course it is really a impressive brake going UP a steep grade.........just a rumor ....just a rumor...)

Now if you tire of killing your "potential-MPG) with the "right-peddle" just move your body-part just a few inches to the left and we have a "real-MPG-killer" peddle yes that service brake is a real "diesel-drain"........if you think about it the "lesser-trucks" would likely get even less MPG with a heavy load but the "lesser-brakes" are often unable to slow the 'lesser-truck" into the worse-MPG-range......Not so with the massive brakes of a HDT.....no we can waste far more fuel in a far shorter time......

Now children..... do not try this at home (or anywhere else).........I have "certain-knowledge" of a "uber-fuel-waster" who on rare "occasions" utilizes "critical-air-seat-adjustments" to arrive at the .........MAX-FUEL-WASTE method of........resting one-body-part on.......BOTH fuel-waste-peddles at the SAME time..........yes indeed 'lesser-truck-folks" could never aspire to such......"Waste-talents"......only the seat / peddle ergonomics of a HDT are able to be adjusted to obtain positions suitable for such......abuse.......now if indeed you find yourself a "chronic-two-peddle-abuser" you might reconfiguring your singled HDT into a tandem HDT since the extra axle set of brakes will allow you to carry higher engine abuse settings longer before the brakes catch on fire.......or you run out of fuel.......

I do have a "mileage-secret" ...........get a horse.....you see IF you tow your horse "properly" you tend to make power-ups gently and slow-gently and driving in this manner tends to allow the truck hover near its "best-mileage-potential"........ also jerking Dolly-the-paint-horse around in the trailer is a sure-fire method of having the Dolly-momma thumping a few knots on your head.....so your lower-right-body-part just cause the upper-top-body-part" to hurt long after the "abuse" started.....

Drive on........(MPG "might" be the least of your........ "concerns")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The largest determiner of fuel economy?

This:

Right_foot.jpg

Darryl.......if you still have any $$$ left after filling the truck up.......I know a podiatrist that could just charge you a few-hundred-$$$ just to take a peek at your image.........just send me your billing address, credit card(s) and insurance card(s)........

Drive on.......(I have to take my foot-out-of-my-mouth to.......drive)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Remoandiris,

In time, you'll learn to ignore some posts. We ALL do!

Now come on Goldrush........every once in a while my " diversity-training" wears a bit-thin and I have to enroll in recurrent training just to "lose-the-edgy-twitching".........

Now on the other hand I have been "officially ignored" lately since I was deemed "silly" (guilty as charged)....... and life has been.......sweet....

Drive on..........(Ignore is........not all bad)

The real deal all trucks old or new get different MPG.

My Peterbilt as a work truck pulling 80k had a average of 7.1mpg but on occasion I would use it to drive from San Diego to Santa Maria California pull only a pup trailer and about 20k. Running up the coast like that my average was 9.1 in the same truck just different trailer and weight.

Now that same truck loaded for the desert at 37k running nothing but down hill to turn back up 6% grade and back down 7% grade into the desert I average 7.1mpg.

When I go to Big Bear mt with just the trailer and same truck I average 10mpg. But that's mostly freeway on Cruz.

Now not sure my company would want me posting this. But

We just bought 450 new volvos with D13 and I-shift. The sleepers all have apu's so little idle time. We also have I believe 8 day cabs and I have one of them. We Idle those about 4hrs a day while we use the lift gate.

Company wide average I was just told is 6.4mpg

My experience is the newer trucks that I have driven with particulate filters and diesel exhaust fuild have gotten far worse fuel mileage than the older trucks.

But bottom line it all depends where and how you drive. Along with more important how much weight.

When I bought my truck I new what it would cost me in fuel

But if I can Evan get .5 mpg better I'm all in. That's more ?Money.

7.1mpg=? 7.6=?

We all get ignored at some point. It's best sometimes that we are by the Holier Than Thou crowd. Everyone's got an opinion, Newbies always post questions that have been asked before, have little or no benefit to others but so what. Someone down the line may learn something from it. There are plenty of times one search won't find the answer but the phrasing the newbie used will be useful in another search for another.

It's good to be ignored sometimes. I know I get ignored by some and that's more than fine by me! The doers do and the others buy!

Dollytrolley, my words weren't directed at anyone in particular and definitely not directed at you.

"The 2 or 3 trucks I don't have to buy"

there's your money saver - for me thats a $100,000

at least

and

2 or 3 rounds with the tax man I will not have to submit.

Agreed, and it does figure in. Just like the potentially higher repair costs of an HDT. At least that is what I have gleaned from several posts in this forum.

Several people have mentioned comfort. I have only about 20 minutes in the passenger seat of an HDT, so I can't be sure it is more comfy than my dually, but I have a strong feeling it is. After all, long haul truckers spend many hrs in the seat, so they have to be comfortable. I usually go for no more than 4 hrs, but that is in my dually. A comfortable HDT may extend that to 6+. More than that just is not necessary...for me. But, I would likely be less cramped up in an HDT even after 6 hrs. Giving the pets more room to stretch out is a nice thought, but really a secondary consideration, just like carrying the kayak.

It's good to be ignored sometimes. I know I get ignored by some and that's more than fine by me! The doers do and the others buy!

Dollytrolley, my words weren't directed at anyone in particular and definitely not directed at you.

No offense taken here Goldrush.......like I said......life is sweet......

Sweet somewhat.......we are taking care of my 88 year old mother in law with class 4 memory loss and this morning 12:21 AM she is"ignoring" me and is chatting on the "phone" (embedded-in-her-ear)........demanding that her husband (died 24 years ago) take her to her house in Portland (that was sold 34 years ago) ...........no wonder I am ignored she is one busy lady....,.

So........I am compiling the gas slips for the old GMC one ton with the new engine to see if the MPG has stabilized yet compared to the old worn engine (180K)........

Drive on.........(likely to be a long........early morning)

Archived