Red Flyer at Oshkosh2015

MsChrissi

No interior to speak of yet, it is mostly plywood over insulation.

Our friend who was standing on the upper deck was sleeping on the queen size bed which is the rear slide out. We still use the beds in the cab. The walk through has not been opened up yet.

One night when the mosquitos were terrible we had some friends over for dinner and put a large table inside and had a nice dinner for the five of us, sort of a christening; good friends, good food, good times!

We totally love this RV and what it is becoming.

Wow, very impressive. What is the big pipe at a 45 degree off the top rear?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Wow, very impressive. What is the big pipe at a 45 degree off the top rear?

Thanks!

The entire roof is a deck, for appearance and to give an impression of more security it has a 4" high bulwark around the edge. The four corners each have a spigot that sticks out about an inch for drainage (see last picture, front of box, spigot looks like small white triangle sticking out of bulwark), the center cockpit (30x72x18" deep foot well) has four drains. When we park we set it so the corner that you see in the picture is the low point. The large pipe you see is a PVC contraption that we put on when the slides are out to keep excess runoff off of the slide roof. The cockpit drains are internal in the walls and drain near the corners, we plug in extension drains underneath when parked so that water does no pool under the RV, you can see the 1" black hoses underneath in the first picture.

The deck extension has five huge hinges to fold it back on to roof and locks down. The ladder pivots at the top and stays attached, it swings to the rear and locks flat to the underside of the deck extension.

The extension adds enough width to the deck so that a 10x10 Ez-UP commercial market shelter may lock into the deck, add screens and the whole roof becomes a sky deck.

Much more to come :)

I like the retractable stairs! :D

Might take a peak Sun and Fun next year, are you planning to attend?

Come on down (up?), we chair the engines workshop and teach composites too. You ought to volunteer and bring your rig up, the Dark Side needs more representation.

By the way, the next project is going to be replace all of the fairing with formed diamond plate. It needs to be easily removable for access. The lower step will be a automatic flip down when the door is opened (simple logic activated by door switch, use a 12v Firgelli linear actuator, folds up flush) also good place to break panels since they are longer than 8-10 ft. Any ideas on hanging and attaching? I do not mind the KW method with donuts and exposed hardware though I would think there must be something better like attach an up facing U channel length to the top outboard hangers then apply a U shaped rubber weather gasket to the rolled down top edge of the fairings and hook it down into the U channel... 90% of the hanging done, lock panels in place at the bottoms.

Anything has to be better than the new Volvo panels and hangers, the may look good on the lot but going down the road they all look like they are cheap plastic and in imminent danger of falling off flapping in the wind.

RedFlyer500.jpg

Everything looks great and I understand just how much time and money goes into a project of this nature but respectfully, personally I'd be a little concerned with the rear ground clearance.

Was that really your intent to have it that low to the ground?

Again, respectfully,

Cee

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Everything looks great and I understand just how much time and money goes into a project of this nature but respectfully, personally I'd be a little concerned with the rear ground clearance.

Was that really your intent to have it that low to the ground?

Again, respectfully,

Cee

I think MsCrissi answered that same question (from me) a long while ago and IIRC the suspension is lowered at the time of the picture. The very end of the tail does rise a bit, and I would be betting that it was very well planned that way.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I think MsCrissi answered that same question (from me) a long while ago and IIRC the suspension is lowered at the time of the picture.

Rocky, I'm new to this forum so I just went though this thread. Nowhere does it mention about being 'aired-down' in the picture.

Thanks for coming to my defense Hero, yes it had not aired up yet.

MsChrissi, I don't get it?? ....... I mean what is there to be 'Defensive' about??? I just respectfully asked a question about ground clearance.

Are you HDT guys (or gals) really that sensitive??...... Wow, pardon me for asking :rolleyes:

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

BH, you're misreading this a little bit, it's okay.

In previous posts about the project the comment was made about this being aired down, we all sort of know each other online and so my sporadic posts about progress give bits of new information as it progresses. As Hero Maer pointed out he asked the question "a long time ago"

The inference of "coming to my defense" is a turn of phrase as in someone answering for me.

Some of our evolution has been going on for a very long time. In my case ten years plus and I'm a relative newcomer here. The forums have gone through three plus evolutions in that time and earlier data is not searchable

It gets confusing.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Archived